• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pioneer DJ - New VM-80 Studio Monitor (VM Series)

mononoaware

Addicted to Fun and Learning
https://www.pioneerdj.com/en/product/monitor-speakers/vm-80/black/overview/

I saw an article on these when they were released a few weeks ago.
Mainly what caught my eye was the looks (especially the VM-80 8-inch model), yes I admit looks occasionally play a part in my decision making.
Tried to find any mention of this model on ASR, but nothing so I made a thread.

They are priced at entry-level so maybe cheap enough that maybe Amir already has one on the way?

The 4-mm-thick rigid aluminum front baffle further suppresses resonance and vibrations,
I am pretty sure this is just 4mm thick aluminum stuck on the actual front baffle, so not sure of the actual effect but I am curious.

I am not interested in having this monitor in my system currently, but I am curious to see measurements.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

LearningToSmile

They really are priced very competitively, unexpected. DSP, marketing materials talking about directivity matching between the horn/waveguide and woofer, good extension on paper at least - might be quite good. Not sure if the aluminum front baffle plate matters, but just the fact they used it at this price is surprising. Yeah, would be lovely to see measurements.

OP
mononoaware

mononoaware

They really are priced very competitively, unexpected. DSP, marketing materials talking about directivity matching between the horn/waveguide and woofer, good extension on paper at least - might be quite good. Not sure if the aluminum front baffle plate matters, but just the fact they used it at this price is surprising. Yeah, would be lovely to see measurements.

2nd thought it looks pretty smart. I remembered it as being shiny, but from the Pioneer DJ photos it is understated and good looking, especially those chiselled angles.

One thing I think is odd is that little “bridge” piece infront of the tweeter.
I am not smart enough to know what effect it has, but I think it would look a lot smarter without it.
Also I think woofer on the 5-inch model is underpowered only getting the same amount as the tweeter at 30 watts/30 watts.

Given their price point I think it is worth giving them a chance in the Klippel NFS.

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I want a vortex bass accelerator :D possibly the best name for a hole in box I've heard.

B*I*C called their blowholes;) Venturi -- still do (or still does, depending upon one's regional grammar), in fact.

1619268573305.png

1619268319632.png

https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Audio/Archive-High-Fidelity/70s/High-Fidelity-1975-06.pdf

;)

Ericglo

Good catch. These look like an interesting competitor to JBL et al.

At first, I thought that might be a phase shield over the tweeter, but they say it is a bar to protect against damage. I do find it humorous that companies seemed to be concerned about the tweeter but never the woofer.:)

Maybe Frank can give some feedback on the impact of the 4mm aluminum plate.

B & H says they will have some at the end of May. Hopefully Erin can get all three.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...798?filters=fct_category:studio_monitors_8617

VM50 - $169
VM70 - $229
VM80 - $289

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
B & H says they will have some at the end of May. Hopefully Erin can get all three.

Cool! I just signed up for their email notification. It would be cool to test all 3 and do a review on their differences.

Don't be afraid to remind me, though, when they come out because odds are I'll forget. ;)

Ericglo

Cool! I just signed up for their email notification. It would be cool to test all 3 and do a review on their differences.

Don't be afraid to remind me, though, when they come out because odds are I'll forget. ;)

It looks like some people already got a pair for review. Despite that, I think your review would generate a lot of hits. If these speakers measure well, then they could be very popular. After all, Pioneer has greater brand recognition then JBL and most of the other names out there.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
These look interesting and I might request a unit too.

This is a complete assumption, but seems to me that in most cases these waveguidey- 2-ways do tend to have good directivity, but sometimes the on-axis is off (thinking of some of the Presonus monitors, for example). So I'm curious how these hold up. They claim the speakers are 'voiced flat's but it Would be really nice if they just, you know, included measurements.

Ericglo

Early reminder that B & H will have these May 19.;)

Ericglo

Well, yesterday came and went. They aren't in stock yet. Either everyone sold out of their initial allotment or there is a delay somewhere. Hopefully they will arrive soon and Erin can get his hands on one or three.

OP
mononoaware

mononoaware

For those who like white color monitors.
Just VM-50 seems to be available in white (VM-50-W).
I think black color is smarter still.

vm-70_prm_hero1_sp.jpg

I am aware some consumers love white color option.
I am aware JBL LSR305 was available with white option (LSR305-WH) in certain countries.
Kali LP-6 is also available in white option (LP-6W).

More commonly known white options are Yamaha HS series and some KRK models.

Last edited:

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Dont know nothing about this speaker. But the way they advertise it in german, is just subterranian.

Putter

Forum Donor
I noticed that that they have a coaxial model, the RM-05 which is listed at 1/2 price ($599 to $299) on the Pioneer website possibly making it competitive with some other coaxial based monitors.

Top Bottom