• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pioneer AVR vs Emotiva Pre/Amp

acro

HI

I am new to the forum, but been a long time reader. I have an old pioneer vsx 820k 110W x 5 receiver that i am using to power a pair of tekton M lore's and a SVS sb 1000 pro sub for base. Listening to music and the occasional movie (2.1 Channels only) I was looking for an upgrade and was looking to purchase separate components to see if i could get an improvement in sound quality. I wanted to spend under 1000 and i have been interested in emotiva for a while. I was thinking about getting the new BAS X 2 channel amp and the PT1 preamplifer. That combo would be about $800. Do you think its worth the upgrade or just stick with what i have? My listening room is small.

Astrozombie

Forum Donor
I doubt it, I would wait until you have better speakers but if you do try to do a blind test between the two and I'd like to hear back.
Does that AVR have pre-outs? You could add an amp already most likely. Maybe a second subwoofer?

OP
A

acro

I wont be able to try a blind test because of where i am. Unfortunately my amp doesnt have pre outs. That indeed would have made my life easier but i wasnt thinking about these things 10 years ago

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
If you have a small room I would just keep what you have. Later on if something breaks you can replace it with a much better piece of equipment. Just buying stuff now will not get you all that much. Unless you have a big sound problem such as no bass, screeching treble etc and those problems are solved with new speakers or an EQ in the system.

OP
A

acro

I think i am going to take your advice an just hold on to what i have. My system works and sounds pretty good to me. If anything breaks then ill step up..

I just got the upgrade bug i guess :facepalm:

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I think i am going to take your advice an just hold on to what i have. My system works and sounds pretty good to me. If anything breaks then ill step up..

I just got the upgrade bug i guess :facepalm:
I happens to everyone. But in reality, if you do not go in for room treatments and measuring your speakers in your room (REW). It is a waste of money just throwing in new speakers while the room is massively changing the sound from what you see measured here by Amir.

warnerwh

As stated above room treatments will improve the sound quality. Imo room acoustics are almost as important as speakers. People who add room treatments often state they wished they had done it sooner. It can be surprising.

Last edited:
OP
A

acro

As stated above room treatments will improve the sound quality. Imo room acoustics are almost as important as speakers. People who add room treatments often state they wished they had done it sooner. It can be surprising.
I will look into this. Thanks

warnerwh

You will be glad you did. Acoustics are second only to speakers as far as sound quality goes.

Top Bottom