• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pink Noise sounds boomy with Harman tuned headphones.

There are many inconvenient facts about headphones to get you red pilled still. Have you considered you might be biased by bass light headphones? Does an orchestra bass drum sound less true to life on a Harman tuned headphone or more true to life when doing an A-B test? Do you know about the many classic and modern headphones developed independently of Harman that happen to line up with the target for most of the frequency range? https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/blob/master/results/RANKING.md See the entries with a score of 85 and above.
The biggest “breakthrough” that came from the Harman response is the bass shelf below ~150hz. But now Harman target is saying the bass response is variable due to individual listener preference and how the perceive those frequencies. If you’re gonna say that orchestral bass drum sounds truer to life on Harman’s response, I would counter by saying that Harman target itself says that the bass range is up to listener preference.

I don’t take Harmans measurements as the ideal response simply because they have studies supporting their response- to me and my ears, it sounds boomy. And it measures like it would sound boomy.

Also, you mentioned “inconvenient facts about headphones to get you red pilled still.” I will ignore how laughable that sentence is, because I want to ask you what those facts are? Clearly you know these facts, but all you did was ask rhetorical questions and link to scored measurements.

markanini

Major Contributor
The biggest “breakthrough” that came from the Harman response is the bass shelf below ~150hz. But now Harman target is saying the bass response is variable due to individual listener preference and how the perceive those frequencies. If you’re gonna say that orchestral bass drum sounds truer to life on Harman’s response, I would counter by saying that Harman target itself says that the bass range is up to listener preference.

I don’t take Harmans measurements as the ideal response simply because they have studies supporting their response- to me and my ears, it sounds boomy. And it measures like it would sound boomy.

Also, you mentioned “inconvenient facts about headphones to get you red pilled still.” I will ignore how laughable that sentence is, because I want to ask you what those facts are? Clearly you know these facts, but all you did was ask rhetorical questions and link to scored measurements.
You made a response has no bearing on what I or anyone said. Certainly no breakthrough. Just documents a curve that has been perused by many manufacturers, published a statistical method to reach it and released it into the public domain. I let someone else adress the five or six other factual errors you made.

Top Bottom