• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pink Floyd works released in High Resolution

Ata

Forum Donor
It appears that my favourite group, Pink Floyd, finally got the highres treatment on various streaming media including Apple Music, Qobuz, and Tidal. My early impressions on less than ideal gear (airpods pro only so far) are very good. It seems that I may no longer need the MFSL versions of the albums I have!

If anyone knows if these new highres releases are using a new transfer, new mastering, or anything, please let me know!

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Utter madness, for music recorded on analogue tape with at (very) best a 20kHz bandwidth, 80dB S/N ratio and 1-2% distortion. In practice a lot worse once bounced a few times between tracks of a 24 track recorder, even with Dolby noise reduction.

S.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Utter madness, for music recorded on analogue tape with at (very) best a 20kHz bandwidth, 80dB S/N ratio and 1-2% distortion. In practice a lot worse once bounced a few times between tracks of a 24 track recorder, even with Dolby noise reduction.

S.
Had downloaded a hi-rez sampler a couple of years ago. First track is Diane Krall, first thing you hear is tape hiss and plenty of it. "Audiophiles" speak of the "infinite resolution" of analog sources without considering the obvious limits of reel to reel tape compared to digital recording.

Emdub

Hi rez can’t hold a candle to hearing them live in a 2500 seat concert hall in 1970…a small hit of ‘windowpane’ to enhance the mood and that show still ranks as my #1 concert experience. ‘Careful with that axe, Eugene’ indeed.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
One of these days
I'm going to cut you into little pieces. ;)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Hi rez can’t hold a candle to hearing them live in a 2500 seat concert hall in 1970…
I saw them in 77, 87, and 94 in Chicago.
With or without drugs, PF presents the best concert experience there's ever been in rock !

LarsF

I guess the streaming company's usually have the latest remastered version, then you got compressed sh*t in high definitions :) In my opinion is better to buy an early cd.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I get to listen to David Gilmour live sometimes when I walk the dog down the footpath that runs through his property. Does that count? :)
#gilmourwatch

OP
A

Ata

Forum Donor

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I get to listen to David Gilmour live sometimes when I walk the dog down the footpath that runs through his property. Does that count? :)
Do you hear some of his car collection or does he keep that somewhere else? Oops had them mixed up. It is Nick Mason, not Gilmour that has the big car collection.

I never knew they used the Ferrari 250 GT to finance the 1987 US tour. Was a good gamble as the tour brought in $140 million.

Last edited:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you hear some of his car collection or does he keep that somewhere else? Oops had them mixed up. It is Nick Mason, not Gilmour that has the big car collection.

I never knew they used the Ferrari 250 GT to finance the 1987 US tour. Was a good gamble as the tour brought in $140 million.

Nah, Nick's house is in Wiltshire. One the other hand, Mike Rutherford (Genesis) lives in Loxwood, which is a couple of miles up the road from me.

There's a part of Surrey (county next to mine) that's known as the 'Stock Broker Belt' as this where a lot of City types have their country piles. I have heared my own bit of England referred to as the 'Rock Broker Belt' due to the high number of ageing prog-rockers in the vicinity (Phil Collins has also lived in Loxwood)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I'm a lot more interested in when PF will release the multich version of Animals that has been in the can for many years now. Also some of the other earlier releases that still haven't seen the light of day in 5.1 or better immersive sound.
Animals had been held up for years due to the Waters-Gilmour bickering that had gone on far too long. It's been like 6 months now since they finally agreed on the release version, but still no release? :mad:

I'm afraid that before we get Atmos releases (that would sell in the millions) of the back catalog I'll be dead in the grave. :facepalm:
IMHO someone needs to give Waters a good rap in the head and kick in his ass. LOL

Last edited:

MRC01

Major Contributor
I saw them in 77, 87, and 94 in Chicago.
With or without drugs, PF presents the best concert experience there's ever been in rock !
I saw them live only once in 87 in Oakland and had the opposite impression. Underwhelming. I still love their studio albums but live, not so much.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I saw them live only once in 87 in Oakland and had the opposite impression.
That's a shame, don't know what the problem was in 87 Oakland but that's highly unusual for a PF concert.
Their norm is a "better than the recording" live 4.0 or better multch live experience. David Gilmour was a freak about
their live SQ, always checking the balance and mix of the live presentation before going on stage a number of times.

atsmusic

I actually just spent a good deal of time comparing the high res mastering on the more popular albums. I compared them to my original CDs and the originals are much better in my opinion. It doesn't matter how high rez something is if the mastering isn't as good. I rather have a well mastered mp3 than a poorly mastered high rez.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I have had the SACD of Dark Side of the Moon since it was first released - wasn't that High Rez enough? :rolleyes:

atsmusic

I have had the SACD of Dark Side of the Moon since it was first released - wasn't that High Rez enough? :rolleyes:
I didn't really care for the mastering on that one either. My friend loved it when he heard it here though.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I didn't really care for the mastering on that one either. My friend loved it when he heard it here though.
That was literally the only version of any of their albums I have ever heard. So I have no idea what I was (or wasn't) missing. Not a huge rock fan. Although I used to collect fluorescent rocks. Does that count? :oops:

Top Bottom