• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pink Floyd - Animals 2018 (5.1 BluRay)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
It's finally here!
After years of lawsuits, delays, and other BS, the BluRay remix by James Guthrie was released on 9-14-2022.
And as exasperating as it's been, for me I can say it was worth the wait. (well almost LOL)
I got mine delivered early this morning and have been listening to the 5.1 LPCM track just about all day.
Together with my multich enthusiast friends over at QuadraphonicQuad we've been burning up their server with
talk about this long anticipated release.
While nothings perfect, I believe most of us are finding this to be a stellar remix. James has done an incredible
job with the tonal balance and digging out a whole new level of inner detail from this 45 year old analog master.
Both multich and stereo versions are lightyears ahead of anything we've ever had before of this album.
If your a Pink Floyd, progressive rock fan this is a "can't live without" piece of music and my personal PF favorite.
(no matter how distorted Roger Waters lyrics/world views are).
folder.jpg

Peluvius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Is it a cleaner, more sparkling version of the original or have they tried to be creative with it?

The only remasters I generally enjoy of these classics is when they have polished the original not tried to change it.

Peluvius

Forum Donor
Is it a cleaner, more sparkling version of the original or have they tried to be creative with it?

The only remasters I generally enjoy of these classics is when they have polished the original not tried to change it.

I see it's on Tidal, I'll give it a listen thanks for the heads up. It certainly has been delayed a while.....

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I hope it’s better than the terrible Delicate Sound of Thunder “remaster” :facepalm:

It it available in downloadable form as well (legally)? I’ve always loved Animals and think the CD version I have is quite excellent already. A surround mix could be really nice.

Edit: It’s on Apple Music as high-res. Would have loved to see an Atmos version.

Last edited:

Peluvius

Forum Donor
I hope it’s better than the terrible Delicate Sound of Thunder “remaster” :facepalm:

It it available in downloadable form as well (legally)? I’ve always loved Animals and think the CD version I have is quite excellent already. A surround mix could be really nice.

So far so good, I am listening to it now on Tidal. It sounds to me like they have just cleaned it up. There are a few fades that sound like a departure from the original but that might just be my imagination. Good so far (for me anyway) and I will give the 5.1 a try. I have been unimpressed by a few of the last re-masters of landmark albums as well, you are never sure to be excited or afraid, particularly as often what happens is the re-master becomes the only copy widely available.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Well you might not like it then.
Guthrie changed the balance quite a bit (for the much improved IMHO)
The 5.1 mix is the best one to come out of the PF catalog yet, incredibly revealing of inner details, some never hardly audible before.
Poll at QQ is going thru the roof in a positive manner.

Reactions: CMB

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Since I don't have a 5.1 setup , I will have to do with the Qobuz version.

Screenshot_2022-09-17-13-45-41-783_com.roon.mobile.jpg

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I don't have 5.1 anymore either but I think the Blu-ray will be the most unusual format to own in the future so I bought that one. I also have the Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here on Super Audio CD.

True. I see why someone would collect this as Blu-ray. Didn't the Let it bleed Blu-ray by the stones go out of print as well and is rather expensive? Same for some SACDs obviously.

But I don't even own a Blu-ray player anymore.
I just had to buy a external CD drive so I could rip some CDs.

The 192khz 24 bit stereo version on qobuz sublime is available for 12€. Seems like a great Deal :)

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
I'll listen to the whole thing on Spotify...I had listened to the pre-release track ("Dogs") and frankly could not hear much of a difference. I think Guthrie does good work, though. I'm also interested to see what the new Giles Martin remix of "Revolver" is like. I may have to get off the remix train though...it's subtle differences, and somewhat bankrupting.

Vocals seem a little crisper overall...

Last edited:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Timely, as I just got the 5.1 disc (not video, SACD) yesterday as a present. Have not listened yet but looking forward to it. I have been trying to get the DSOTM disc for years but it is always out of print or sold out, or only available at a ridiculous price.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the "heads up" Sal, looking forward to it.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Prices are getting more and more crazy for this stuff. It was the same with the Beatles sets and David Bowie.. you get a cd set + a Blu-ray and still need to purchase the high Res files if you really want the best of both worlds.

And the cherry on top is you need to rip it to use on your computer etc.

And if you only purchase the high-res files you will be missing out on the Atmos mix.

And now they throw everything together for absurd amounts of money.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
And now they throw everything together for absurd amounts of money.
Yep, Look at the 50th Dark Side package.
Don't buy it, I'm not.
It's a "collectors" market of which there are many, but I hope the label has to eat a few
this time around. There are many ways to acquire music, some not exactly legal.
But I'm sure Mr Gilmour and company won't miss the profits. ;)

Top Bottom