• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pillars DAC!

Pillars

Just checking interest in the community, who'd be interested in a $130 Khardas Tone Board based DAC in a sturdy 3D printed case? Shipped to your door. Simple, easy, no frills and exceptional sound quality for the money. End user can easily sand and paint case to taste or use as-is. What do you think? Suggestions? Let me know!

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I don’t know the bar has already been set pretty high,

Keith

OP
P

Pillars

Excuse me, tone board! I can easily print cases and sell at a price comparable to Amazon but shipped to your door. Purite.. that looks scary :D

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
I would prefer a finished project-style case made of metal or injection-molded plastic, with the inputs and outputs routed out and labeled, with spots for the board's standoff mounting. Essentially what you might find when shopping for a Raspberry Pi case; like a Khadas VIMs case with the right I/O.

Note that I am taking your post seriously because I genuinely believe this is a niche that should be filled. If you have no intent on actually making anything, then this thread should not exist. ;)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Wouldn't interest me. Why bother with a 3D plastic fiasco that needs sanding and painting to look half decent- just double-sided tape the PCB under your desk and call it done. ;)

Wombat

Master Contributor
Just checking interest in the community, who'd be interested in a $130 Khardas Tone Board based DAC in a sturdy 3D printed case? Shipped to your door. Simple, easy, no frills and exceptional sound quality for the money. End user can easily sand and paint case to taste or use as-is. What do you think? Suggestions? Let me know!

Pics?

OP
P

Pillars

It'll likely be a simple slide lock design. Still awaiting a sample unit for fitting.

OP
P

Pillars

If I can provide the board in case cheaper than buying just the board from Amazon (which I can) then, why not?

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
If I can provide the board in case cheaper than buying just the board from Amazon (which I can) then, why not?
You might want to do do some business calculations.

What is your time worth is the first basic one. Then add up all the ancillary activity costs of making it happen, distribution, packaging, cost of scrap faulty lost in post, customer support time, warranty and product failure, marketing. Business income tax, cost of inventory sitting around waiting to be sold, cost of payment services (credit card PayPal) etc etc. What margin is there and how many do you need to sell. Then how much profit do you need to make on top of that to make it worth happening.

Don't let that put you off or think this is intended as me discouraging you, There is a market for a DIY low cost option, not sure of its size, but its there.
Just saying be absolutely thorough in calculating your true costs and time and effort and what your objectives are at the end of the day, for what you want, or need to get out of it.
It really, really isn't just the cost of components as some seem to think.

I hope all that doesn't sound patronising, sorry if you have already done all that and the numbers stack up for you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom