• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

piggy on springs under speakers from matthooper

izeek

The thread concentrates on speaker isolation from floors.
I'd like to throw my two cents in as several tips from fellow members have been truly helpful.
First, I live in apt on the third floor. Let's be real. Those floors act like attenuators when I had my sub and speakers on the carpeted floors. Even without complaints, the boom was disturbing to me.
Starting with the sub, I put 3x3 horsestall mat blocks under the feet. Seemed to muddy the bass but removed some boom.
Put a hard plywood board under the sub the same footprint of the sub. Big difference. A lot less boom and more hit but eh.
SVS sub isolators made another large notable difference in tightening up bass. Still some boom but mostly when loud. Like 60-70db.
Using that experience, I did the same with my towers. I bought some antivibration pads from Supplyhouse for .26 each and bought a dozen.
Definitely, a nice improvement. More definitive bass, some fuller mid, and a touch back on the highs which I'm ok with.
For now, I'm satisfied. I still have a minidsp to work in and I'm about to get a Topping D50s. Then we'll really know.
I brought this up to see what others think of it.
Sidenote: the same pads under my pre/amps seem to make a difference but I'm feeling it out. They are between IKEA aptilig bamboo cutting boards.
There is a noticeable clarity in the middle.
Please throw in your comments.

OP
izeek

izeek

I'd also like to add that after all that, I placed my sub angled from the corner, at the same angle as my towers as well as matching the front plane of it and the nearest tower. All I can say is wow.
I got that tip from here.

Katji

Major Contributor
Using that experience, I did the same with my towers. I bought some antivibration pads from Supplyhouse for .26 each and bought a dozen.
Which? Save me from trying to identify by price. (All there in Google search results - images. [And I discovered an odd thing about Google search...and I wish they'd stop fcking around with it...and also that they would direct some of their money, their riches, to apply more advanced tesing and analysis.)] ...Those same blue-and-black things. There's a guy who often posts photos of his latest valve amps and speakers and he obviously likes them.
Why did you buy 12? ...2 speakers? Corners? = 8...so...?

What point is the subwoofer crossover /high pass?

OP
izeek

izeek

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Bluefin-VPE-200-E-V-A-Anti-Vibration-Pad-2-x-2-x-7-8
Hope that works.
vpe-200-3.jpg
vpe-200-3.jpg
I bought a dozen just to play with at that cost. Wasn't sure how I was going to use them.
After putting the SVS pods on my sub I decided to give these a try on my towers just to see the effect.
My sub is crossed at 80hz. I'll get back to you on the high pass.

OP
izeek

izeek

Ok, cool, same as matthooper's, same as those pics I've been seeing.
Found on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/DiversiTech-MP2-V-Anti-Vibration-Pack/dp/B01KAFG8EG/
I think these might suit my application - the speakers have hard feet...I must measure or get 2x2" and 4x4" to figure out which suit best.
Hope it works for you. I'm pleased.
I also ordered cork pads with the same rubber just to see if there is any difference. Waiting for them to arrive.
Interestingly they were really expensive at .70 each.
I used the blue av pads under the feet of my pre. I have horsestall mat blocks. under the bamboo platforms for my amps. Is there a difference, yeah. But I intend to conduct a better test between pads in a subjective scientific manner.
I'm going to order more so that all components will have the same pads, then experiment between the blue pads and the cork. wtf, huh?

Top Bottom