• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

[Pictures Inside] Are My Bass Traps Setup Correctly?

SadMonster

35CC0999-0142-488B-8EF0-2614AE3F5A22.jpeg

B8526E73-9A7A-4374-965D-A7020756196E.jpeg

My main question is this: Should I keep the bass traps 4 inches from the wall so that they are right up against the back of the speakers or should I leave the traps flat against the wall and corner?

OP
S

SadMonster

Air gap helps.

Omg thank you for you reply and for your contribution to science I am a big fan!!!!!

While you are here can I ask you if I should limit my Dirac correction to 400hz and below or should I let it go across the entire FR range? The measured response is already very close to flat so the adjustments it says it wants to make to upper FR very minor anyways.

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Unfortunately I don’t even now what the hell that is. They are corner bass traps from ATS Acoustics.

But you think I should keep the air gap then?

Flow resistivity means how much air can pass through a material. Higher number = less flow.

Those panels are made of Roxul Rockboard 60 and Roxul AFB, which AFAIK have a flow resistivity of 27000 and 16600 Pa.s/m^2 respectively.

Without knowing the construction, I will just assume a 50/50 mix. The panel depth averages to 6.5" due to the triangle shape.

Plugging those numbers in, the absorption coefficient should be around .4 at 50Hz if they are right against the wall, and something like .48 with the 4" gap. Could be a little higher, don't know the details of panel construction.

That was a complex way to say "amir is right"

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Omg thank you for you reply and for your contribution to science I am a big fan!!!!!

While you are here can I ask you if I should limit my Dirac correction to 400hz and below or should I let it go across the entire FR range? The measured response is already very close to flat so the adjustments it says it wants to make to upper FR very minor anyways.

I suggest you ask ATS about the air gap. Perhaps you could measure the effect of an air gap with Dirac?

Whether you should restrict Dirac to below 400Hz (or some other figure) or do the whole lot will ultimately depend on what it sounds like to you. Try them both! I'm not familiar with how Dirac works but I think it uses clever algorithms which guess the behaviour of the different sound waves in your room and adjusts accordingly.

Top Bottom