• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The kit we bought, our current setups

BillG

Major Contributor
I see you also use a tablet as a secondary music display/remote like me. ;)

Yeah, it is indeed used for such purposes. I only keep it under the monitor when I'm actually at the desk, though. At other times it's being used to stream content to my integrated amp, usually when I'm in bed, or when I'm in the kitchen cooking as its speakers (stereo and tuned by Harmon Kardon) are quite good for a tablet.

It's a Huawei MediaPad M2 8.0 - Premium, by the way. I might replace it soon if I can find a great deal on a comparable one - it's 4 years old now... :cool:

doctorjuggles

Giyas positive: they just aren't there....the subjective total disappearance of said speakers is spooky in a very positive sense.

Hahaha. Hard to imagine speakers that size "disappearing" ;)

Giyas negative: reliability :) D50 mid died on me, without even being driven hard.

Ah that's a shame! They're manufactured in the city in which I grew up, and a friend of mine worked there for many years, so it's disappointing to know that.
Still - sounds like they get a lot of other things right, HiFi isn't a huge business in SA so it's interesting for me to see these opinions. Thanks :)

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ooh Giyas, lovely. It’s like having an Great Old One’s tentacles in the room.
They always remind me of the fifth element.
d69402e9f85d7da8dfce94746348cf21.jpg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Giyas negative: reliability :) D50 mid died on me, without even being driven hard.
Ah that's a shame! They're manufactured in the city in which I grew up, and a friend of mine worked there for many years, so it's disappointing to know that.
I've heard that about them more then once, ongoing issues with the Giva's and disappointing factory support to boot. :(

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Also, funnily, a relative of mine remarked how antiquated or obsolete my blu-ray/DVD/CD collection was which was displayed in a hallway. I kind of agree a little bit, but I only get stuff on discount/sale about 80% of the time. It certainly is cheaper than buying a “digital” copy this way. And at least it’s easy to lend discs. Although it was the first time that I kind of felt embarrassed to even still have physical media in today’s digital age. Still it surprises (and annoys) me how ebooks and digital downloads are sometimes more expensive than the physical copy which is just ridiculous.
Physical media is still the only way to get the best sound quality. None of the streamers are doing lossless 5.1 - 24/96 or anything even close.

Ceburaska

Forum Donor
I've heard that about them more then once, ongoing issues with the Giva's and disappointing factory support to boot. :(
Not my experience, I bought my Ovals second hand and had excellent support. Ok I’m based in the UK, with the HQ, probably helps.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Yeah, it is indeed used for such purposes. I only keep it under the monitor when I'm actually at the desk, though. At other times it's being used to stream content to my integrated amp, usually when I'm in bed, or when I'm in the kitchen cooking as its speakers (stereo and tuned by Harmon Kardon) are quite good for a tablet.

It's a Huawei MediaPad M2 8.0 - Premium, by the way. I might replace it soon if I can find a great deal on a comparable one - it's 4 years old now... :cool:

I only use this exclusively to switch tracks and see what's currently playing when the screen is occupied though. The previous samsung tablet was replaced as it had started restarting erratically -- haven't had a software update in years! So the current one would be plugged in 24/7 and only replaced until either it's hardware or software starts to fail. Life cycle should be a little bit longer

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Wonderful stands! Possibly the best I have ever seen.

o_O Reminds me too much of a termite burrow. Makes me think a snake or something else creepy might crawl out of the holes.

*Although, come to think of it, I'm not surprised you say that given how you have a creepy half-bodied female mannequin in what appears to be a fireplace/shrine of sort in the middle of your, otherwise, gorgeous speakers! Why!? Okay, probably don't want to know...

Last edited:

doctorjuggles

Not my experience, I bought my Ovals second hand and had excellent support. Ok I’m based in the UK, with the HQ, probably helps.

Why are they listed as “not currently used”? Seems like a nice pair of speakers like that should be a centrepiece and in regular use. Is it a “I currently don’t space they need” situation? (Not unusual here in Blighty)

Ceburaska

Forum Donor
Why are they listed as “not currently used”? Seems like a nice pair of speakers like that should be a centrepiece and in regular use. Is it a “I currently don’t space they need” situation? (Not unusual here in Blighty)
Just bought the Yamahas, trying them out instead of the Ovals. Will decide which to keep soon. I don’t have the space for the Ovals in the secondary system, you’re right there.

doctorjuggles

Nice! Yeah, even my main system is hugely limited by the space I have available (doesn’t help that I bought it when I had more space while I rented, and now that I own, I have less space for the big floor standers)
If I ever shared a photo of my three systems, I am sure everyone would be horrified at placement/room interaction issues. :facepalm:

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
o_O Reminds me too much of a termite burrow. Makes me think a snake or something else creepy might crawl out of the holes.

*Although, come to think of it, I'm not surprised you say that given how you have a creepy half-bodied female mannequin in what appears to be a fireplace/shrine of sort in the middle of your, otherwise, gorgeous speakers! Why!? Okay, probably don't want to know...

Oh, it is worse than you think. Much worse. She has a mean boyfriend.

IMG_20191011_204852 (Small).jpg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
This is my current two channel rig. Always looking for ways to tweak performance (without spending ridiculous sums of cash).
Welcome to Audio Science Review!
Those are beautiful stands, are the store bought or custom made?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Thanks. Made them myself, African Padauk.
I thought they had the "custom" look. Hard to find stuff in that style done in such beautiful wood.
Great Job!!!

Top Bottom