• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pics you’ve taken,

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Piper Pawnee (ex-cropduster) Towplane trailing a 200 foot tow rope at Seminole Gliderport 2021 Senior Nationals, returning to give another of the 60 or so contestants a lift to 2,000 feet. Five towplanes were in use, plus the gliders, so the airspace was a bit hectic, launching about one glider per minute.

1655766017875.png

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
People re-packing their main parachutes at SkyDive City (adjacent to our glider club). You pack your own main, your reserve parachute must be inspected and repacked by a licensed professional every six months.

1655767218425.jpeg

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
All of these gliders will be launched within the hour by the five towplanes at the contest...

That Pawnee just landed between the rows of gliders.

1655767616480.png

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Far out so it's not like the military where each is inspected each time?

The reserve is inspected and repacked by a certified rigger every six months or after it is used, whichever comes first, per FAA Regulations.

For the main parachute, looks like you are on your own for inspection and repacking, although at a commercial operation, a certified rigger may be watching over the repacks, and will do it for you for a fee if you like.

--

Example commercial Skydiving Liability Waiver - https://waiver.smartwaiver.com/w/5f1b24369a026/web/

---

The Emergency Vehicles showed up at SkyDive City last Friday. Since it was at the landing zone, probably a hard landing, which could mean anything from ankle sprain to death. You rarely see anything in the news related to the event.

---

Sometimes it makes the news...

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The reserve is inspected and repacked by a certified rigger every six months or after it is used, whichever comes first, per FAA Regulations.

For the main parachute, looks like you are on your own for inspection and repacking, although at a commercial operation, a certified rigger may be watching over the repacks, and will do it for you for a fee if you like.

--

Example commercial Skydiving Liability Waiver - https://waiver.smartwaiver.com/w/5f1b24369a026/web/

---

The Emergency Vehicles showed up at SkyDive City last Friday. Since it was at the landing zone, probably a hard landing, which could mean anything from ankle sprain to death. You rarely see anything in the news related to the event.

---

Sometimes it makes the news...
Wow! I hate heights but airplane height does not phase me much. I've jumped 85 foot cliff jumps into a lake because I was challenging myself and my fear. I can imagine coming in and slamming hard from parachute height. Must be horrible. :D

nobodynoz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
due to shutter speed was faction slower and handheld , only tiny movement and image is going to look like as it came out . i think the shutter speed was like 10sec and had to hold camera still not still enough otherwise should or would have been tripod mounted .
The camera was simple, and handheld... I agree with you.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I tried learning French although I was horrible at language learning. I know a German and she speaks 5 languages. It blows me away. IT's impressive to learn more than one language. :D I learned a little French and read labels in Canada because all grocery items are bilingual but it's very simple French.
I've read that there is a barrier around the age of 10. If you haven't started to learn a second language by this age it is very difficult to learn one at a later age. And if you had learned one by this age it is much easier to learn a third one, or more.

Newman

Major Contributor
Here is a scholarly article that concludes the opposite is true: you don’t want to start much earlier than 10, certainly not earlier than 8.

So, for older learners slow loss of brain plasticity is a constraint to learning languages, but for younger learners, ongoing cognitive development is a constraint. OTOH the assertion at one point in the article, that “generalizations about the relationship of age and language acquisition are treacherous…Knowledge and skill are acquired by each of us according to a highly individual map”, is worth noting.

nobodynoz

Visiting Nantes - France - with my wife... the view from the airbnb apartment on the 12th floor... a town with lots of trees and green spaces...

100 years after Portugal and Spain, Nantes ships have transported more than 550,000 black captives to the colonies, approximately 5 to 6% of the European Atlantic slave trade.... As historian Eric Saugera recalls: "More than elsewhere, Nantes adopted the major slavery argument: the colonies are essential to national wealth, the Blacks are essential to their development, trafficking is essential for its renewal. "...

IMG_7812.JPG

Last edited:

Newman

Major Contributor
Screen Shot DP0Q2628-Jan2020.png
Beachwalking...

nobodynoz

Last edited:

nobodynoz

Just an entrance door.. the shutters are painted with the same color