• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pics of mega-expensive equipment in horrible rooms

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How many Home theater rules can you count that were broken in this one image from https://www.klipsch.com/
View attachment 126920

1. Sub in corner (let alone what if something is in that cabinet)
2. Thanks for putting the TV about six feet above eye height, I'll deal with the neck pains because we had no solution with the fireplace and mantle)
3. Bookshelves tucked nice in deep in cabinets.

At least there's a throw rug. That saved the day.

4. Coffee table
5. Sitting outside MLP
6. The speakers don't appear to be wired to anything.

Tim Link

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I love that they reference a few times how cool the owner's wife is about the completely insane total inundation of their home with giant gross red speakers and bazillions of amps everywhere. Yeah, she's cool alright.

Or maybe she has her weird shit that she gets to indulge as much as she wants, say, at the beach house. Hummels everywhere maybe. Or, like, 14 Pomeranians, and they all get to sleep on the bed.
It's so over the top! Ken Fritz too! I can't stop giggling. And I thought I was taking it too far.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I bet the imaging is essentially nil with everything crammed into such a small space relative to the size of the speakers. I'm sure it gets loud though.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I love that they reference a few times how cool the owner's wife is about the completely insane total inundation of their home with giant gross red speakers and bazillions of amps everywhere. Yeah, she's cool alright.

Or maybe she has her weird shit that she gets to indulge as much as she wants, say, at the beach house. Hummels everywhere maybe. Or, like, 14 Pomeranians, and they all get to sleep on the bed.

That photo epitomizes everything that I would hate aesthetically.

The "I want to see every single bit of technology I paid for, and I bought a lot of it!" aesthetic.

I find those giant speakers, all those drivers, all that equipment to be the room aesthetic equivalent of "Brutalism" in architecture. Just inhumanly dominating technology.

I much prefer technology to be more subtle and less imposing, or at least if certain pieces stand out, that they are beautifully designed rather than industrial looking objects.

Tim Link

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I bet the imaging is essentially nil with everything crammed into such a small space relative to the size of the speakers. I'm sure it gets loud though.
Because of those big horns it might not be as bad as you'd think.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Because of those big horns it might not be as bad as you'd think.
Horns themselves aren't going to make up for lack of free space around the speakers. Left-right imaging might be fine and detailed, but depth and dimensionality would be lacking (I've got larger full range horns than those here but in a far larger room).

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
putin-medvedev-breakfast-05.jpg
That's cheating! Any room he's in is gonna be horrible irrespective of its accoustics.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor

JDragon

I'm actually trying to find a double wide server rack to mount stuff in and hold CDs and such.

Used to have that $10k monitor pair on stools.
Before I got some real stands for my 8Cs I had them on a $40 pair of stools from Amazon. I think they were pretty reasonable stands actually, despite looking ridiculous. If they can hold a person they can hold a speaker!

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

That's the most reasonable setup here! You can use those from a couple of feet away, to several meters. That's the beauty of acoustically tri-axial systems!

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know it's been posted by somebody else also last week but here is the story about this sound system.

It's a bit long but I enjoyed watching this.

Wow, after watching that, I'm thinking that's probably an amazing sounding system. Custom designed huge room with no parallel surfaces, and an angled ceiling modeled after a Japanese concert hall. 3 Floor to ceiling line arrays with near sota drivers and all active crossovers. Also dipole radiation with carefully calculated backwall distance. Then you have matching surrounds. With 24 subs placed all around the room, I bet the bass is smooth, tight, and extended as ever. Listening distance is 25ft back, and hearing classical concert level dynamics at that distance probably gets you closer to that live classical sound than 99.9% of systems out there. Even the surrounds look ~15ft+ away.

It actually seems like a really carefully planned and implemented based on objective criteria. Guy seems really logical and actually seems to have good knowledge. Definitely some snake oil in there with the turntable/cables but his logic for those seems somewhat grounded. He notes that expensive cables don't sound better and that it's just about distance and guage. Turntable he admits doesn't make sense, but he does it because he enjoys building and upgrading it.

I think it would be very difficult to make a system that sounds as good as this in a typically sized room. A room that size (ime) with careful acoustical planning is probably impossible to match in a small room, even with perfect Genelec One speakers.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

This is another one I bet actually sounds great. I own the 212RTs(those are the bigger brother) and they measure and sound great, with very narrow 60x60 dispersion. The towers dig down to 10Hz in room and are capable of near 130db output. Those subs are RS2s which I own and love. They dig down to 6Hz in my open main room.

That said, there is a bunch of unnecessary snake oil there, and he could likely get the exact same sound for much less, but I have no doubt it sounds great as is.

mansr

Major Contributor
That's the most reasonable setup here! You can use those from a couple of feet away, to several meters. That's the beauty of acoustically tri-axial systems!
Beauty is not a word I'd use anywhere near those things.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Actually, no. I'm using the 212RTs right now in a 8ft wide office at 7ft listening distance and it's the best imaging I've ever heard. Much better imaging than I got with the 8030c before them, and much much better than the Revel M105 I used before that. Also better imaging than my 8351b speakers in the main room(where the JTRs used to be). Because of the coaxial mid/tweeter and the symmetrical woofers, the speakers act as a true point source that can be listened to at quite close distances. The super narrow dispersion pattern also works really well for super crisp imaging. Imaging is actually their greatest strength, and I've never heard a hifi speaker or monitor that comes close. Where they fall apart(their biggest weakness) is their lack of envelopment. You don't get that euphoric sense of spaciousness that you get with the Genelec and Revel speakers. The JTRs also have a tiny sweetspot.

Top Bottom