• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pics of mega-expensive equipment in horrible rooms

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What, no cinder block shelving?
Kids, these days.

I'm actually trying to find a double wide server rack to mount stuff in and hold CDs and such.

Used to have that $10k monitor pair on stools.

WickedInsignia

That video was great! It really put things into perspective and made me a little ashamed of my assumptions.
Went from "Excessive rich dude bought some hyper-expensive speakers and put them in his ritzy living room" to "Hard working dedicated audio enthusiast spends 27 years building his own speakers, listening room and building/designing all of the furniture inside."

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
That is hilarious.

But now, after watching the origin story vid and meeting the guy and hearing about his ALS, I feel kinda bad about ripping his pride & joy for being tacky. Damn you, human compassion!
I just came upon this room a few days ago because the Ampex ATR-104 tape machine was up for sale on eBay. That's where the pictures were posted. It seems likely that he's no longer with us; I wonder where those speakers are going.

Robin L

Master Contributor
That is hilarious.

But now, after watching the origin story vid and meeting the guy and hearing about his ALS, I feel kinda bad about ripping his pride & joy for being tacky. Damn you, human compassion!
Looking at the system [and room] that Ken Fritz created, my thought is: you can have a party in this room. He could have a lot of people in that room, comfortably. With the way that room is designed, lots of people would get good sound. Comfortably. Can't say it's "A horrible room".

My funky mancave in a garage could only seat two people comfortably. Mind you, I got all my gear used and real cheap. And 5.1 with my best friend and refreshments was a Friday ritual for many years. A funky room, but mostly fun.

I look at Mikey's room, very cluttered, not "designed" in any fashion either in an aesthetic, acoustic or artistic sense. There's only one seat. I'm sure it's in the sweet spot. I'm sure he finds it useful for his work. But there's no fun in it. Thus, a horrible room, unlike Ken Fritz's.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
yah, but the center channel is pretty .... centered. So its above ear level, that does not matter, Move along
Yeah but the two listeners/viewers are sitting off to the left.

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
That photo I swear is a virtual copy of an Akai Turntable ad from the early 1970s.

No, I was wrong. It reminded me of this Akai advertisement that I had to go find didn't I?

ETI-1976-10 akai tt.jpg

Robin L

Master Contributor
If a 40lb weight is falling off the top of your speaker, I would say your speaker has some serious design issues.
Or you might want to reconsider your decorating choices.

Emlin

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Neekomax

I love that they reference a few times how cool the owner's wife is about the completely insane total inundation of their home with giant gross red speakers and bazillions of amps everywhere. Yeah, she's cool alright.

Or maybe she has her weird shit that she gets to indulge as much as she wants, say, at the beach house. Hummels everywhere maybe. Or, like, 14 Pomeranians, and they all get to sleep on the bed.

Top Bottom