• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pics of mega-expensive equipment in horrible rooms

Tim Link

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Maybe, but as the ceiling is raked like a concert hall's, it probably sounds great.
I suspect I'd love the way that room with those speakers sounds. Lots of diffusive surfaces, the angled ceiling as Robin mentioned, plenty of space, nice carpets on the floor, gigantic speakers; I think that would work for me. Anybody know more about who's room that is?

Those speakers sort of have the 2001 monolith effect. A bit overbearing and a complete mismatch for the aesthetics of the room. They need a wood finish and some nice scroll work around the edges. The grandfather clock to the left would be a nice reference for a great looking set of grills for those beasts. The knotty pine panels on the ceiling seem not quite appropriate. Paint it white and add some coffers. Well maybe not all white.

Last edited:

Tim Link

Forum Donor
Roast away... This is my room so far, and there's a dual 12" Genelec sub in the back with some Kali IN-5 monitors for surrounds.

View attachment 126914
This is more my operating scale, and my typical look and style. Sort of a science lab with wires and bits and pieces of things lying around. I'd be quite at home in there. I won't give you any interior decorating advice, but I'll bet some acoustic treatments could make a big difference in there, and make it look a little more interesting too.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I A bit overbearing and a complete mismatch for the aesthetics of the room.

Personally, I think these would look infinitely better in that room. But then again, I'm insane. :p

f1f3fe150cfab79312e74b36cef241e4.jpg

Robin L

Master Contributor
Like the old Chorus Line number: Sound 10, Looks 3.

I'm guessing this sounds the business, but jesus, can we turn down the ornamentometer about 55 dBs?
Nope, gear of this level of wretched excess deserves a room with the same qualities.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor

David Harper

Forty years ago I went to a place called Paul Heath audio in Chicago. It was the ultimate high-end place at that time. Equipment that no place else offered. Mark Levinson, Audio Research, Quad, Accoustat, Linn Sondek, stuff that was outrageously expensive at that time. It was like a church. We stood around in awe at the sound. The good old days I think. There's no place like it now.

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
obviously, should not be your room - just post pics of things you find on social media

... or anti-social media, for that matter
First of all, great topic. Second, while it bothers me when people spend thousands on equipment to put it into a terrible room, what bothers me much more is when manufacturers decide to re-enforce this because their marketing dept is too lazy to design a beautiful room that also has some decent acoustic properties.

This is from KEF
kef1.jpg

Robin L

Master Contributor

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
How many Home theater rules can you count that were broken in this one image from https://www.klipsch.com/
Klipsh1.jpg

1. Sub in corner (let alone what if something is in that cabinet)
2. Thanks for putting the TV about six feet above eye height, I'll deal with the neck pains because we had no solution with the fireplace and mantle)
3. Bookshelves tucked nice in deep in cabinets.

At least there's a throw rug. That saved the day.

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe, but as the ceiling is raked like a concert hall's, it probably sounds great.
Yep.

Horn loading. Same in my "music room".
Very pleasant coloration, few room modes.

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
And while @amirm might be right that Revel speakers often measure very well, what's the value of that in this room?
Revel1.jpg

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
What, no cinder block shelving?
Kids, these days.
I painted my cinder blocks avacado green and blue back in the day. There should be laws against that..... :rolleyes:

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How many Home theater rules can you count that were broken in this one image from https://www.klipsch.com/
View attachment 126920

1. Sub in corner (let alone what if something is in that cabinet)
2. Thanks for putting the TV about six feet above eye height, I'll deal with the neck pains because we had no solution with the fireplace and mantle)
3. Bookshelves tucked nice in deep in cabinets.

At least there's a throw rug. That saved the day.
yah, but the center channel is pretty .... centered. So its above ear level, that does not matter, Move along

NYfan2

Forum Donor
Top Bottom