• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Picoreplayer - Bit Rate on DAC stuck

jetson

Hi there, I'm new and just got my Rpi4B today. Got it set up and ready for streaming and is working now. I am trying to stream Tidal to my MQA-capable DAC but whenever I try to load up some MQA files, the bit rate on my DAC display does not change and is stuck at 44.1 khz. What setting do I need to toggle to get the DAC to decode the MQA properly?

I am using piCorePlayer on my Raspberry Pi 4B feeding via USB to an SMSL SU-9 DAC

Pat

The volume level in LMS needs to be 100% for my DAC (Pro-ject pre box s2) to decode MQA, possibly same issue? Also forget about using LMS to stream MQA from Tidal, it just won’t work - it won’t select the ‘master’ stream. Ironically it will stream the few MQA titles Qobuz has in its catalog just fine.

Last edited:

uudruid74

The volume level in LMS needs to be 100% for my DAC (Pro-ject pre box s2) to decode MQA, possibly same issue? Also forget about using LMS to stream MQA from Tidal, it just won’t work - it won’t select the ‘master’ stream. Ironically it will stream the few MQA titles Qobuz has in its catalog just fine.
It will. You just have to find the MQA versions. Its selecting the non-MQA by default.

Pat

It will. You just have to find the MQA versions. Its selecting the non-MQA by default.
I only see two options for selecting streaming quality for Tidal streams in LMS - 'FLAC or ACC' and 'AAC/320kps'. If you know how to select the 'Master' stream, please share. FWIW Tidal is now streaming a lot of 44.1 kHz content with MQA encoding and that will light up the MQA light on the DAC, just none of the high-rez quality material will do so. Unless I'm missing something, all turning on the MQA LED for redbook quality material is doing is wasting electricity, although Meridium might make some claims about 'providence' or some similar BS.

uudruid74

I'm comparing with volumio and the Tidal app, so I know what is available. For example, in the Tidal app and Volumio, Fleetwood Mac's "Rumors" album is in MQA. On picoreplayer, all those saved references (playlists, mixes, etc) bring up a 44.1/16 non-MQA redbook version. You have to find the "Super Deluxe" version of the album which is the same album in MQA! It makes for a neat way to A/B the MQA and non-MQA versions, but its annoying as hell. If volumio can find the MQA versions, then picoreplayer can too!

As for 44.1Khz content, check the bit depth. The MQA encoded ones are 24 bit to give room for the extra MQA info. Its 44.1/24 which unfolds to 88.2/24 (well, likely more like 22 or 21 since you lose a few LSB).

Pat

Sadly, the Rumours album supports what I already believed. If you look in Roon at the versions of this album available on Tidal, both the Deluxe and Super Deluxe versions are 16 bit/44.1 kHz, apparently with extra MQA info encoded in the file. These files cause my DAC to light up the MQA indicator but are still playing at 44.1 kHz. The 'original' version will not light up the MQA light on LMS, playing at 44.1 kHz, however in Roon it plays as MQA at 96 kHz. I have to assume that LMS was never updated to request the 'Master' stream when Tidal added that, and is asking for the original FLAC stream. At this stage, the only thing keeping me subscribing to Roon is functional MQA support, LMS has all the other functionality of Roon that I care about.

1639414556105.png

uudruid74

Sadly, the Rumours album supports what I already believed. If you look in Roon at the versions of this album available on Tidal, both the Deluxe and Super Deluxe versions are 16 bit/44.1 kHz, apparently with extra MQA info encoded in the file. These files cause my DAC to light up the MQA indicator but are still playing at 44.1 kHz. The 'original' version will not light up the MQA light on LMS, playing at 44.1 kHz, however in Roon it plays as MQA at 96 kHz. I have to assume that LMS was never updated to request the 'Master' stream when Tidal added that, and is asking for the original FLAC stream. At this stage, the only thing keeping me subscribing to Roon is functional MQA support, LMS has all the other functionality of Roon that I care about.

View attachment 172285
Yes, we need to find who wrote the Tidal plugin for LMS and get it updated as it will get the MQA version if its the only version there is. Its almost like someone decided FLAC was the best so it always chooses FLAC when available.

Odd that there are 16 bit MQA files. I would think it would be up in the noise floor. When you play those on Roon, do they play at 44.1 or higher? Are all of those playing at 96Khz? I thought it would only double it to 88.2, not 96.

Top Bottom