• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pi3+D70+Atom+HD650

laidick

Forum Donor
PhotoGridLite_1573296636518.jpg

I am too happy with this setup in bedroom while not allowed to listen my living room.

Can anything else be better ?

Pi3B+ with Volumio installed as streamer
USB to Topping D70
XLR to RCA to JDS Atom
6.5mm to HD650

I think I am done for now.

Thanks ASR.

OP
laidick

laidick

Forum Donor
Great set up. Enjoy!

Just the little point I don't understand. Why not just using RCA ?

I have both XLR and RCA, just experiencing which one is better.
D70 XLR out measurement seems a hair better than RCA. But my ear is not able to differentiate them yet (and ever...)

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
D70 XLR out measurement seems a hair better than RCA. But my ear is not able to differentiate them yet (and ever...)
Both are quite undistinguishable according to @amirm review.

Still, even if XLR (balanced) was really that better: XLR to RCA adapter doesn't transmit a balanced connection at all. Not sure about that, but it could even get worse.

I would go for a simple RCA cable if was you.:)

OP
laidick

laidick

Forum Donor
Both are quite undistinguishable according to @amirm review.

Still, even if XLR (balanced) was really that better: XLR to RCA adapter doesn't transmit a balanced connection at all. Not sure about that, but it could even get worse.

I would go for a simple RCA cable if was you.:)

Yes that's correct, let me switch it back and see if anything changes :)

I don't use adapter, I ordered a pair of canare cable from ghentaudio, one side XLR and other side RCA.

OP
laidick

laidick

Forum Donor
By the way, I also ordered SMSL500 from taobao with 11/11 discount, just about $276 USD.

Would place that in living room in case I need it :)

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you planning to put any cooling and a case on the Pi? My understanding is it can get a little warm and start throttling the CPU - I don't know if this much of a concern when running something like Volumio - I stuck my Pi 4B in a case with heatsinks and a fan anyway.

OP
laidick

laidick

Forum Donor
Are you planning to put any cooling and a case on the Pi? My understanding is it can get a little warm and start throttling the CPU - I don't know if this much of a concern when running something like Volumio - I stuck my Pi 4B in a case with heatsinks and a fan anyway.

I ordered a pi4b on the way with Argon One case, which is aluminum with heatsink , because I heard the heat problem on 4B.

But I am currently use 3B, which is slower, but definitely no heat issue at all . Just a bit warm when I touch it. Naked seems fine too :)

I am afraid fan would generate noise in my signal chain, so I would avoid using any fan is possible.

OP
laidick

laidick

Forum Donor
Why haven't you removed the plastic foil over the display ?

Hahaha , good spot. That was put in living room I just normally keep those plastic to protect the little screen from being scratch. I don't read it all the time anyway.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I ordered a pi4b on the way with Argon One case, which is aluminum with heatsink , because I heard the heat problem on 4B.

But I am currently use 3B, which is slower, but definitely no heat issue at all . Just a bit warm when I touch it. Naked seems fine too :)

I am afraid fan would generate noise in my signal chain, so I would avoid using any fan is possible.

The 4010 fan in the GeekPi case I bought is audible on slow (and very audible on high) with the Pi on my desk. I know that I won't be audible when installed in my lounge. If I do get bothered by it, I will look into quieter fans like the Noctua I put in my Dell managed switch (to replace a Delta fan with a supersonic whine)...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071W6JZV8/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_dp_1

I hadn't really considered the potential for electrical noise from the fan. However, a quick scan of DIYAudio does indicate that this can be an issue. I would be interest to hear if anyone has encountered and dealt with this on the Pi4.

*edit* There is a useful comparison of cooling and acoustic performance of various 40mm fans here: https://www.martinrowan.co.uk/2019/09/raspberry-pi-4-40mm-fan-comparison/

It's no surprise to me that the Noctua comes out quietest, but you do pay for the privilege - I have 4 Noctua fans and one of their controllers in my PC; this added almost £100 to the build cost.

Last edited:
OP
laidick

laidick

Forum Donor
The 4010 fan in the GeekPi case I bought is audible on slow (and very audible on high) with the Pi on my desk. I know that I won't be audible when installed in my lounge. If I do get bothered by it, I will look into quieter fans like the Noctua I put in my Dell managed switch (to replace a Delta fan with a supersonic whine)...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071W6JZV8/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_dp_1

I hadn't really considered the potential for electrical noise from the fan. However, a quick scan of DIYAudio does indicate that this can be an issue. I would be interest to hear if anyone has encountered and dealt with this on the Pi4.

*edit* There is a useful comparison of cooling and acoustic performance of various 40mm fans here: https://www.martinrowan.co.uk/2019/09/raspberry-pi-4-40mm-fan-comparison/

It's no surprise to me that the Noctua comes out quietest, but you do pay for the privilege - I have 4 Noctua fans and one of their controllers in my PC; this added almost £100 to the build cost.

That's insanely expensive to match the price of a pi4 this case.... May be you want to have a look on argon website ?

lopchu

Nice, thanks for sharing!

I currently have

Pi3B with Volumio installed as streamer and a 128GB micro sd card with flac files
USB to Behringer UCA222
RCA to NAD3020 (stereo amp)
6.5mm to HD650

I am planning to exchange the NAD3020 with a proper headphone amp like the Atom. And I have read great things about Pi dac hats utilising the I2S connection.

Daverz

Major Contributor
I'd want more space for music.

I'd also put the Pi in a case. The standard plastic one is fine, and I suggest black so the LEDs aren't bothersome in a dark room. I don't think it needs a heatsink.

lopchu

Oh, nice. Thanks for the hint. Was looking at the HifiBerry DAC already and I am pleased to see it measured well.

OP
laidick

laidick

Forum Donor
I'd want more space for music.

I'd also put the Pi in a case. The standard plastic one is fine, and I suggest black so the LEDs aren't bothersome in a dark room. I don't think it needs a heatsink.
I use a blutak to hide the LED

OP
laidick

laidick

Forum Donor
Oh, nice. Thanks for the hint. Was looking at the HifiBerry DAC already and I am pleased to see it measured well.
There is another on called nanosound DAC which is great too. You may want to have a look.

Top Bottom