• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PI2AES Digital Audio Shield for the Raspberry PI

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Annual fees are turning me off, and if this is the only solution to stream Tidal through Pi2AES, I've lost interest in Pi2AES as Tidal streaming is important to me.

No alternatives for bit-perfect Tidal?
Have a look at PiCorePlayer too. It uses logitechmediaserver (LMS) which also has a Tidal plugin, although it's not one I've used and I don't know if it supports all quality levels. A few of the LMS plugins need a mysqueezebox.com account to function, and Tidal is one of them. I don't think there's a fee involved though. Control is via a web browser, or by one of many apps, most of which are written by community members. Streaming to SPDIF can be bit perfect - you need to pick the right card interface (which used not be the default one - not checked if that's been fixed) and avoid use of the volume control as it'll fall back to software if no hardware volume control is available.

Also have a look for virtual soundcards for Windows - there may be one that can output a stream like RTSP that can play on one of the Pi based players.

OP
M

Michael Kelly

Audio Company
Forum Donor
I can now confirm that the PI2AES running Moode 6.10 on a PI 4 (I have a 2GB model) runs flawlessly. I tested all interfaces and they work.

I will need to make a new case design (just changes two sides) and should have that ready for Tuesday (Monday is a holiday in the US).

Question - Should we ship the two PI 4 specific case panels with every case order, or should we have the customer specify they want them? I don't have any idea on what the usage for the PI 4 will be. I also think we will offer just the two panels for a few $$ plus shipping for anyone who wants to upgrade.

Cheers,
Michael

Veri

Master Contributor
@Michael Kelly will a final production model ever reach @amirm for a review? Looking online yours seem to be one of the best of its kind around, I'm sure stellar measurements could make it (even) more popular :)

OP
M

Michael Kelly

Audio Company
Forum Donor
I sent a unit to Amir and for some reason it had issues. He sent it back, but I have not yet sent him another unit. We have been having trouble keeping them in stock. It’s taking awhile to ramp up full production. Hopefully soon.

SilverEars

Looks like I can run Linn Kazoo out of Windows PC to control the streamer in the network. Is there a version of Volumio that I don't have to subscribe for fees with and still run Tidal with the Pi?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Looks like I can run Linn Kazoo out of Windows PC to control the streamer in the network. Is there a version of Volumio that I don't have to subscribe for fees with and still run Tidal with the Pi?
Download the free version and try it. If you don't have a spare Pi or an old PC to try it on you can run the PC version in a virtual machine (VirtualBox or similar).

Sophoheilip

Forum Donor

I think Linn streaming is based on OpenHome. Installation instructions are here.
You will need to install Debian or Rasbian jessie on your Pi sd card.
I am currently using moode audio player, where you can also enter your tidal credentials and use Kazoo to control Tidal.

SilverEars

I think Linn streaming is based on OpenHome. Installation instructions are here.
You will need to install Debian or Rasbian jessie on your Pi sd card.
I am currently using moode audio player, where you can also enter your tidal credentials and use Kazoo to control Tidal.
I tried Moode with Tidal credentials and controlling the streamer using Kazoo.

I tried both coaxial and AES connections and my DAC isn't responding. I notice on Kazoo Moode upnp is selected and playing music.

I'm wondering what the issue maybe?

All I did was flash the image of Moode to my sd card and accessed Moode on my chrome browser to activate upnp for Tidal, and controlling with Kazoo.

Is there a step I missed? Shouldn't all the interfaces on Pi2AES be active when Tidal is streaming?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
All I did was flash the image of Moode to my sd card and accessed Moode on my chrome browser to activate upnp for Tidal, and controlling with Kazoo.

Is there a step I missed? Shouldn't all the interfaces on Pi2AES be active when Tidal is streaming?
Sorry if this seems obvious, but you don't mention having configured moode to use the Pi2AES for audio output.

SilverEars

Thanks Micheal, that did the trick.

I have couple of other questions for you all:

Is there a way to access music files on a storage in a windows PC in the same network as Pi? Can Moode do that? If so, how do I go about doing this?

For the Lead battery, what did you guys use for the cable to plug to the Pi2AES? I'm curious what difference this makes, if there are any differences.

I use 24V power supply at the moment. What I notice is, AES sounds better. In general, the treble reaponse seems different than plugging usb to PC. Sounds smoother, but can't say if it sounds more detailed or not. IMO, imaging doesn't seem as good.

Is there a bit-perfect mode like in Windows with Moode, or volume control always variable?

Veri

Master Contributor
PI2AES XLR Jitter. Note that the results seem to be a bit worse then the PI2AES RCA. But XLR is needed for long cable runs or interfacing with pro audio equipment.
aes-jitter-xlr_orig.png

Cheers,
Michael

Hi Michael. In the current product model. Is XLR Jitter still slightly worse than RCA? How about BNC? Which would you rate as "best" connection on your PI2AES :)

OP
M

Michael Kelly

Audio Company
Forum Donor
It has not changed. Please note though, that differences are very small, just in the 1/10's of picoseconds!

frangle

Forum Donor
Hi Michael
Did you run into any heat issues when testing with the Pi 4? I'm new to this but it seems that the 4 needs cooling and it is difficult to see how that works mechanically with a shield/HAT.
Thanks

OP
M

Michael Kelly

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Our testing does not fully stress the PI. For audio applications there is little need for any cooling measures. Running video intensive applications may very well require some measures. Note that simply placing the PI on it's side (HDMI connectors up) can significantly reduce any thermal throttling issues.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/thermal-testing-raspberry-pi-4/

About halfway down they show results with the PI on it's side. Note that with our case there are numerous openings for heat to escape, especially when placed this way.

GoldenOne

Not Active
Have the images in the original post been removed?
I'm interested to see measurements of the Pi2AES as I have one on the way but only the text seems visible in the first post

OP
M

Michael Kelly

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Have the images in the original post been removed?
I'm interested to see measurements of the Pi2AES as I have one on the way but only the text seems visible in the first post

Those test results are also posted on our website under the PI2AES section.

frangle

Forum Donor
I've been running a Pi 4b with another AES HAT for a couple of months now (with Moode) and it doesn't get hot at all (metal box, no active cooling, no heatsink). The top is quite open, due to the AES connector not fitting in the box (lid extended above connector).

GoldenOne

Not Active
Those test results are also posted on our website under the PI2AES section.
Ah thank you!

Also, out of curiosity how come the board uses a 24v psu? It makes it quite difficult to find a linear psu for it :( (only one I can find is the £330 s booster). Can't even use something like the Ifi Ipower with it

Was looking at getting a linear psu for the pi itself but not sure how much benefit there would be if I can't also get a good psu for the hat

Last edited:

GoldenOne

Not Active
Actually on that note, has anyone tried swapping the PSU for the pi/HAT or both?
If so what were your results?

Top Bottom