• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PI2AES Digital Audio Shield for the Raspberry PI

senyer

Hello!!!
What do you think PI2AES will work with the latest version of Raspberry Pi 4, I want to install Raspberry Pi 4, because it has 4K video output, that is, Raspberry Pi 4 will output video to TV, and with Pi2AES I will take SPDIF for DAC. I wrote on the manufacturer's website www.pi2design.com
but they are silent

Veri

Master Contributor
Really, could you stop this offtop please.
This is not some sponsored review thread the likes head-fi allows. This is dicussion thread, and that's what we are doing :)
If you want people parroting your opinion I really think you're on the wrong forum... your voice here is welcome but discussion is natural.

johan

Audio Company
Sorry Odessa . Enough time spent here. Good luck to you and enjoy your music.

odessamarin

This is not some sponsored review thread the likes head-fi allows. This is dicussion thread, and that's what we are doing :)
If you want people parroting your opinion I really think you're on the wrong forum... your voice here is welcome but discussion is natural.

More than agree, expected more practical discussions and comments though. Definitely not about soup ))) But ok..

Willem

Major Contributor
I may have overlooked it but I do not remember you discussed your methodology. Did you equalize levels to wihin 0.2 dB? Was comparison (near) instantaneous?
The origin of our scepticism is that properly designed dacs have been perfect and indistinguishable from each other for quite a while, provided you follow protocol.

odessamarin

Did you equalize levels to wihin 0.2 dB?
Yes, Level was set the same for both tested boards (by DAC volume control). Within volumio player, all volume, mixer controls was desabled.

Was comparison (near) instantaneous?

Yes, same tracks was played almost simultaneously for A/B comparison.
What I also did (just for curiosity). I played 3 tracks in a row on A and the same on B to see if I will also have similar preference while play continuously from the same source. It was confirmed, one board i liked more within this type of sessions.

Willem

Major Contributor
Did you measure and then equalize the output voltage?

Krunok

Major Contributor
The origin of our scepticism is that properly designed dacs have been perfect and indistinguishable from each other for quite a while, provided you follow protocol.

Exactly. And here he claims to hear the difference between 2 SPDIF interfaces, not DACs. Another one with Superman hearing.. :facepalm:

odessamarin

@Krunok
Could you confirm, I understand your point correctly. You know they are sound the same.. whatever my opinion is. Right?

Willem

Major Contributor
If levels are not carefully matched by precise measurements of voltage levels you will inevitably hear differences. Match them properly and the differences will disappear as if by magic. So here you have your explanation.

odessamarin

If levels are not carefully matched by precise measurements of voltage levels you will inevitably hear differences. Match them properly and the differences will disappear as if by magic. So here you have your explanation.

I will measure. But I want to be sure the problem you mentioned is exist here.
If there is a difference you expect is there. Where is it comes from?
Dave DAC set same output level for both BNC inputs. No difference should be here.
Same RPi and Volumio was used to play same files. No difference should be here.
The only difference can be introduced by the boards themselves. Is this your expectations?!
It means one board get identical digital data form RPi and resamaple/modify it.. which will introduce difference in volume level?
We are talking about this possibility here? Interesting.

Last edited:

Willem

Major Contributor
Yes dacs do not necessarily have the same output voltage. In fact they rarely do. The louder one will always sound better. Research has shown that 0.2 dB is the maximum loudness difference and that is so small you need a good quality volt meter.

odessamarin

Yes dacs do not necessarily have the same output voltage. In fact they rarely do. The louder one will always sound better. Research has shown that 0.2 dB is the maximum loudness difference and that is so small you need a good quality volt meter.

Yes, But in my case DAC remains always the same. Just to different digital sources connected to BNC1 nad BNC2. Same amplification stage used. I am not expect any significant volume difference. But as I say, I will check it out.

TimW

Major Contributor
I will measure. But I want to be sure the problem you mentioned is exist here.
If there is a difference you expect is there. Where is it comes from?
Dave DAC set same output level for both BNC inputs. No difference should be here here.
Same RPi and Volumio was used to play same files. No difference should be here here.
The only difference can be introduced by the boards themselves. Is this your expectations?!
It means one board get identical digital data form RPi and resamaple/modify it.. which will introduce difference in volume level?
We are talking about this possibility here? Interesting.
I agree it would be interesting if the boards are somehow outputting their digital signals at different volumes. The only way to find out would be to measure the voltage output of your Dave with each streamer board playing the same signal. From what I can gather you should use a 1kHz sine wave for the signal and measure the headphone output with a multimeter set to AC voltage. Maybe you could use the detachable cable from a headphone to get points to measure at. I think the Sennheiser HD6xx style cable with the two pin connector would be easy to measure.

odessamarin

I agree it would be interesting if the boards are somehow outputting their digital signals at different volumes. The only way to find out would be to measure the voltage output of your Dave with each streamer board playing the same signal. From what I can gather you should use a 1kHz sine wave for the signal and measure the headphone output with a multimeter set to AC voltage. Maybe you could use the detachable cable from a headphone to get points to measure at. I think the Sennheiser HD6xx style cable with the two pin connector would be easy to measure.
Yes, this is what I plan to do.. will see.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Yes, But in my case DAC remains always the same. Just to different digital sources connected to BNC1 nad BNC2. Same amplification stage used. I am not expect any significant volume difference.

But you expect that while transporting audio over SPDIF one of the devices somehow changes phase of one channel? Are you aware that SPDIF transport can't do that? :facepalm:

Krunok

Major Contributor

Those are I2S/SPDIF transport/bridge devices - they don't modify the data in ANY way.

There might be some clocking variations which are visible in jitter measurement but DAC would certainly use it's own clock to re-assemble content so there can absolutely be no hearable difference between those 2 transports/bridges.

Top Bottom