• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Photos of rooms with acoustic treatment products

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Or the ultimate in audio dread...
I sense a lot of resentment in your words. Either post your own pictures or go to another thread.

tuga

Major Contributor
I sense a lot of resentment in your words. Either post your own pictures or go to another thread.

Not resentment, distaste. Some of the examples may be technically effective but they don't look elegant, with maybe a few exceptions.

Kvalsvoll

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Assuming it is allowed to post pictures of my own room; Here is how it was in Room2 around christmas.
julirom2 P1080470.jpg

Senior NEET Engineer

My previous gaming setup from rented bedroom lol. The acoustics were dead to begin with, but the treatment helped to sharpen the image and improve perception of dynamics. Corner and rear bass trap had scatter plates.
0X6Uy08.jpg

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The only "treated" room I've been in that I thought was attractive is the theater in the Yves Saint Laurent museum in Marrakesh. The walls are basically paneled wood, but with some depth variation. Some pictures from about a year ago.

Sound quality was only OK, though the mixes were for the museum using who knows what quality source program, and I have no idea what playback equipment was in use.
IMG_0406.jpeg
IMG_0405.jpeg

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I do think the electronics should form an altar at the front of the room, with the giant speakers flanking each side as guardians.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Krell didn't torture AFAIK. Also, check out the great VU meters they had...

Webninja

Forum Donor
Lots of interesting rooms. I prefer when the sound treatment panel is the entire wall rather than the piece by piece effect. I wonder, aside from cost, if there is an acoustical advantage to having the whole wall vs partial.

The ability to print images on the panels does also help with aesthetics. Ideas, ideas...Thanks OP!

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 58633

this is the guy who had a personal power pole installed, BTW

He would better do what I did. Diesel Generators + Solar Panels _ DC to AC Inverter, most of the time I am on batteries or Solar. There is less than 8 hours of commercial AC a day ...

You talking about galactic and organic sound: When I am on solar, the soundstage is to dream of but the background is not black , too luminous, washed-out.... ... During the night, on batteries, no risk of noise from the Sun ( Solar Flares, EMI, etc) so ... Night and Day differences: Dark Background, you can see more of the sky thus galactic-sized soundstage ..... In all cases sound remains organic
:cool::p

I find some of the rooms interesting if a bit over the top. I would like to see exemples of audiophile systems in Living Rooms ...

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
any idea how much noise the convertor for the PV panels injects into the system?

Alexanderc

Forum Donor
Is the amount of diffusion in some of these rooms really necessary/useful, or are they from sellers’ websites just showing off products?

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is the amount of diffusion in some of these rooms really necessary/useful, or are they from sellers’ websites just showing off products?

xlnt. question!

bumped

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
xlnt. question!
It's pretty common knowledge that absorbers are rated according to a frequency-dependent absorption coefficent that determines how much the reflected sound will be attenuated. What's likely less well-known is that dIffusers have an associated absorption coefficient as well as diffusion and scattering coefficients which define decay and directivity (same idea as for loudspeakers).

And as with loudspeakers, the use of diffusion and absorption is governed by targets at the listening position—frequency response, reverberation time and the energy time curve—which allow you to control the tonal balance, transient response and the mix of direct vs. reverberant sound.

So to answer your question, you can infer a bit about intentions and approach with these pictures, but you need measurements to know how effective the treatments have been. If planned by serious acoustic consultants, you won't see a lot of what's been done anyway, especially for low-frequency control.

Trevor Cox and Peter D'Antonio wrote the bible on this topic: https://www.routledge.com/Acoustic-...Application/Cox-DAntonio/p/book/9781498740999

Quick paper here: https://www.researchgate.net/public...usion_Coefficients_for_Room_Acoustic_Surfaces

Last edited:

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Really cool looking setups here... I wonder why so many people use diffusion panels on the front wall (primarily in the center of the front wall).

Perhaps because:
- when you can see it , it works
- that's how they are set in every picture you can find in the web
- you want to have something hanging on the wall anyway
- as decoration
- to engage and please your wife so she can decide the pattern and color

Basic info about acoustic treatment
http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/
https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advice/beginners-guide-acoustic-treatment

Best page about psychoacoustics in context of music listening and reproduction
http://www.davidgriesinger.com/

Last edited: