• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Photos of rooms with acoustic treatment products

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Well the W371A has one 12" subwoofer in the back and one 14" subwoofer in the front, With 2*400W Amplification, capable of 120 dB peaks with an anechoic F6 of 23Hz.

now EACH speaker has one of these, yet you seem to throw words left and right implying that they're not adequate?

I'm sorry but you need to substantiate your claims of mediocrity of the Genelecs The Ones series.
I'm well aware of that. The box isn't very large and one driver sits in a sealed enclosure (higher distortion if used at the lowest frequencies). Adding loads of power adds compression and distortion in many designs. Besides, these two drivers are not neccessarily used together (depends on the mode). And even if they are used together it's still not enough and certainly not equal to what's possible.

FIY: A front loaded 15" is equal to something like 3-4 15" woofer in separate large vented boxes and hardly needs any power. Modulation distortion is much lower. Again, just depends what you compare to and references.

The W371A is certainly a clever way to even out the frequency response though. However, it's nothing new and there are several ways to achieve the same or even better approaches, but generelly less market friendly.

Either one understand speaker designs and principles which I've mentioned or one doesn't. It's a simply as that.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor

youngho

What I find sad about this room is that there is only one listener’s chair. So much expensive equipment and only one person truly able to enjoy (arguable since he/she is “working” rather than doing this for pure leasure) listening.

Yes, working, like it's sad that race cars only have space for the driver and no passengers to enjoy the ride?

youngho

Hi
As for the acoustics you can, perhaps even should give us the short version of what is wrong about this room... You raised the point, you may have to bear the burden of proofs. I confess my ignoramus status for small room acoustics, I am here to learn and have fun.

@FrantzM I already posted some links to peruse. Here's another discussion that may illustrate what I think are Bjorn's concerns about the room: https://gearspace.com/board/studio-building-acoustics/1246187-greatest-studio-designs-3.html

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Yes, working, like it's sad that race cars only have space for the driver and no passengers to enjoy the ride?

Huh. That's a grossly distorted analogy of the feeling I had looking at the picture on second glance. Well, if you find that version more accurately vivid and fitting with your own rational sensibility of the word's meaning... okay.

youngho

Huh. That's a grossly distorted analogy of the feeling I had looking at the picture on second glance. Well, if you find that version more accurately vivid and fitting with your own rational sensibility of the word's meaning... okay.

I would like to say that I truly appreciate the many meaningful contributions that you've made to this thread. Lacking sympathy or empathy for you, it was impossible for me to know your feeling, also I had not counted the number of glances you'd made. I do think a significantly high expense and seemingly purpose-designed room for professional use like this is a reasonable contrast to listening rooms for recreational use. Nonetheless, I think we will both agree that it would be a waste of time and bandwidth to respond to you further. Cheers, and happy listening.

Last edited:

dasdoing

Major Contributor
topic doesn't say it has to be beautiful, right? lol
here is my cave

IMG_20210920_180842~2.jpg

dasdoing

Major Contributor
I would probably spray paint those white styrofoam(?) stands black to reduce the visual contrast -- can be very distracting when watching a movie -- I even tape to cover the LED lights of my speakers.

actualy the most distracting is the light source at the top of the front wall, even tough it's not direct. but now that you said it it will probably start to anoy me lol

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I recently added some diffuser panels to my desk set-up:

Desk3.jpg

The room has a fair amount of clutter in it, so it was quite dead and not echoey to start with, but adding the diffusers made imaging clearer, sharper and the soundstage deeper. I've always liked the stereo illusion whereby sounds don't appear to be coming from the speakers themselves but the space between and around them, the diffusers enhance that, so I'm quite pleased with the results.

They make a bigger improvement than any of the expensive cables I've foolishly bought over the years - which have now all been sold. :)

bo_knows

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Most so called diffusers on the market are simply scattering units which distributes the sound in a non-homogenous way or focuses parts of the frequencies in certain directions. True diffusion has an even polar.

View attachment 152654

View attachment 152655
Understood. That being said, what would you recommend as a treatment when the listener's head is 3-4 feet from the back wall? What kind of treatments would you deploy in 13W X 15L X 10 H room? How would you treat the ceiling or would you? Any response would be greatly appreciated.

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Understood. That being said, what would you recommend as a treatment when the listener's head is 3-4 feet from the back wall? What kind of treatments would you deploy in 13W X 15L X 10 H room? How would you treat the ceiling or would you? Any response would be greatly appreciated.
Depends on what type of acoustic principle one is following (what sound you want), the directivity of the speakers and budget among other areas. Simple answers are generally poor answers here. But with 3-4 feet distance to the rear wall, a combination of absorption and a hybrid like BAD Arc or only the latter is normally the better approach. Should ideally be combined with low frequency absorption.

Top Bottom