• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Photography question for Amir

Spirit84

Amir:
I need to send some close up pictures of the inside of an amplifier to a technician. I am using a cell phone - android.
My pictures are terribly out if focus.
Your pictures are always so sharp.
How do you achieve this?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It is the much improved camera on my Samsung S8+. It is so good that I don't bother pulling out my SLR cameras. Previous phones had the issues you mention with horrible focusing, and not being able to focus closely.

This is one real benefit of using the latest smartphone.

And oh, make sure to use point focus if your phone has it. I can touch any part of the screen and it will focus and adjust the exposure for that spot.

And keep the camera 100% parallel to what you are trying to take pictures of and make sure there is plenty of light.

OP
S

Spirit84

Amir - you are the best!
One question: is there a particular setting that you use (manual, auto, etc) to get so close?
What resolution do you use for posting on the internet?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
My pleasure.

I just leave it in default mode.

For posting, it depends on whether the shot is vertical or horizontal. I tend to want to keep the width no wider than 1200 pixels and let the height proportionally fall where it may for horizontal shot. For vertical shots, I set the width to 600 or 700 pixels and let the horizontal be what it becomes (i.e. I keep the aspect ratio the same).

Top Bottom