• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

photo organizing software

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Google photos app is light years beyond anything I've used before. It applies machine learning to organize, tag, group and auto correct, as well as auto self identify photos, create albums and automatically for you. It's really amazing.

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is there a good, free or cheap, program for organizing photos?

I use IrfanView and XnViewMP. FastStone is also free. As for tagging JPEG files - not so sure. I organize my photos into folders by years, and inside years by date+occasion or subject - say "vacationToSuchAndSuch", or "parkStroll" . You can rename photo files themselves inside folders with subject and ppl in photo.
Sample: 2020->2020_06_20_Park->MyDoggos.jpg

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use IrfanView and XnViewMP. FastStone is also free. As for tagging JPEG files - not so sure. I organize my photos into folders by years, and inside years by date+occasion or subject - say "vacationToSuchAndSuch", or "parkStroll" . You can rename photo files themselves inside folders with subject and ppl in photo.
Sample: 2020->2020_06_20_Park->MyDoggos.jpg
Same:

1626490223735.png

Though it's a little awkward when you have one event that spans multiple days. You can see how I handled it here, though I'm not sure what's best.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I use IrfanView and XnViewMP.
... and for XnViewMP the xnShell add on is a great easy right click for a buncha easy to use common operations. The very easy to use batch operations software is great for whatever you want to do with the pics too.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The OP did not specify what sort of file formats he needed to support: My own collection includes not only JPG, but HEIC, NEF, DNG, ORF, CRW, ARW, X3F and probably others I can't recall at the moment. The peculiar containerized files used by Fujifilm's 3D digital cameras? Got those too.

If "free" is an important consideration, Darktable is worth a look. But last time I checked, the Windows version had no print capability, because it was originally written for Unix-like OSes with CUPS.

MikeStark

I like Google Photos. The service is extremely versatile and works equally well on Macs and PCs, smartphones and iOS and Android tablets.

I transferred my entire collection into Google Photos: processed and as-is photos from cameras (including old RAWs), photos from phones and smartphones, and videos. Most of it in folders through the website - up to a thousand and a half files at a time.

Google Photos has all the tools you need and offers unique image compositing capabilities. It's also free.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I hate Google Photos because once it started sucking photos from one of my phones, there was no way to delete them without also deleting it from my phone. They somehow became attached at the hip. NOT cool.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you don't mind a subscription Lightroom is very powerful plus it comes with superb non destructive editing and Photoshop. Yeah, I know the OP asked for free.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I hate Adobe. We'll see if they can force me into a Lightroom subscription before I die with LR6 engraved on my tombstone

You don't pull any punches. Watch out because the tattoo fairy will sneak into your bedroom and tattoo Adobe on your forehead, LOL.

Reactions: Wes

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I switched from LR some time ago and like the interface, but hated the sluggishness. I'm actually done at the computer quicker now with Capture One (definitely not free) (well...).

thunderchicken

If we're just talking about organizing and tagging, it's hard to beat Photo Mechanic. Like I said earlier, I've used all the big names professionally over the years and Lightroom is my favorite. I use Capture One for some projects, but it's expensive and has a steep learning curve on the organizing side. I've never really understood the "sessions." LR is super easy to use and the catalogging function is great. Export is great too.

I see your F3 and raise you this all-black OM2n.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use Capture One for some projects, but it's expensive and has a steep learning curve on the organizing side. I've never really understood the "sessions."
Sessions are generally better than using a library unless you have a specific use case for a library. Some searching will reveal discussions on the differences.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They will have to pry my Nikon F3 from my cold, dead fingers.
I haven't touched a film camera in ages. Digital brought me back to photography.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh, I didn't claim I had touched one - just that I will exert a death grip on it at some point in the future.

I actually do try to shoot my Hassy film camera once a year...

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Wes you are hilarious.

concorde1

If you can find it, Fotoalbum free version from Fototime is amazing. Or Fotoalbum Pro.

I just looked on their website and Fototime has "ceased operations", but if you can find it safely, it's better than anything else I've used. Version 7.0.8 is what I have (2021) I think it's the last update they had.
Although this seemed good for a long time, it turns out it wasn't displaying my photos correctly, and photos (especially developed RAW's) were being shown as much noisier than they really are - up until right now I had thought it was the camera's fault! Not recommended.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Google photos app is light years beyond anything I've used before. It applies machine learning to organize, tag, group and auto correct, as well as auto self identify photos, create albums and automatically for you. It's really amazing.
If you are happy for your photos to be used for training AI and stored by Google even if you delete them. Read the T&C.

Top Bottom