• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Phono preamp with USB output recommendation

DrCWO

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Hi all,
I will soon release a new Roon Extension (part of rooExtend) to playback audio from (hopefully all) USB audio interfaces via Roon and its DSPs.
This will also enable playback from a turntable via a phono pre and a USB ADC.

I am here to ask you for a recommendation that I can give to my customers regarding a phono pre with built in USB interface. The advantage of such a device would be to have ONE box instead of a phono pre plus an audio interface.

Asking Google I found some cheap devices providing 16/48 only and probably noisy ADCs and amplifiers. Can you recommend such a USB phono preamp in one box with a reasonable audio quality (SINAD) that supports for example 24/96? I know that a 24 bit ADC for a LP doesn‘t make much sense but despite this I believe some audiophiles would like to see it digitizing their LPs.

Thank you
Best DrCWO

jp4573

The only I know is not in production anymore:

OP
DrCWO

DrCWO

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Thank you, but no USB cass 2 and discontinued cannot be a recommendation
I hope for some more…

OP
DrCWO

DrCWO

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Today I found a preamp from company Pro-Ject called „Phono Box DS2 USB“.
Regarding the review here the analog part is fine the digital not.

Any experiences regarding this device?

OP
DrCWO

DrCWO

Audio Company
Forum Donor
OP
DrCWO

DrCWO

Audio Company
Forum Donor

Korg DS-DAC-10R

Interesting product, indeed, thank you for the hint :)
I read that RIAA can be activated. Did you know if RIAA adaption is made inside the box or if it is a function on the PC. I use Linux so no PC program is available to compute the RIAA. Do you know if it USB class compilant?

I found the manual here. One page 15 they talk about a DS-DAC-10R Setting Tool that lets me select the line input jacks Type to line/pono and adjust the volume. For me it looks like RIAA is really done inside the Box.

Can any of you confirm this?

Last edited:

jp4573

I just got the KORG DS-DAC-10R.
Installed in Windows 10 machine.
It is not possible to choose RIAA from the Sound Settings.
Only through the Audio Gate software.
See attached pics:
phono.png
riaa.png

OP
DrCWO

DrCWO

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Thank you for your feedback.

In the meantime I read the manual and there they write about a "DS-DAC-10R Setting Tool" that can set RIAA and volume.
Doing it with this tool the setting should be saved within the interface itself. This means it should stay intact even if you connect it to a Linux PC.

The procedure would then be setting the interface accordingly with a Win machine, unplug it and use it with Linux for example.

Can you confirm that this "DS-DAC-10R Setting Tool" is shipped with the unit?

One other thought: If you are US based, are you interested to send the DAC to Amirm and so we get a review?

Edit:
I found a URL here where a software package can be downloaded including the DS-DAC-10R Setting Tool:
https://www.korg.com/tmp/support/do...ge=software&prodtype=0&prodid=528&fileid=2583

Last edited:

MCH

Major Contributor
The classic cheap solution has been the behringer UFO and its variants, still available and with selectable usb 1 or 2.
I believe nowadays the common solution are the turntables with USB?
The ADC of the soundblaster HD works great. The phono in... not so good...

sdmarquart

The pro-ject DS2 USB works incredibly well with my set up. I use the USB out to digitize my vinyl and it’s completely transparent. I can tell no difference in quality loss when ripping to 24/96 hi res digital files. I couldn’t recommend it more highly!

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I remember correctly, KORG DS-DAC-10R supports only MM cartridge, not MC, right?

Just for your reference, I recently post this on my project thread;
- Revival of analog LP player (MC cartridge) in my DSP multichannel multi-driver multi-amplifier fully active stereo system for real time on-the-fly vinyl LP listening (and digital recording, if needed): #688

I use AUDIO-TECHNICA AT-PEQ30 phono preamp (MM/MC) together with TASCAM US-1x2HR audio interface (ADC, 192 kHz capable) for revival of DENON DP-57L + DL-301 II (MC) for on-the-fly real time listening to vinyl LPs in my DSP multichannel multi-driver multi-amplifier fully active stereo system.

Last edited:
Top Bottom