• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Phono Pre-amp: What are we testing for?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
It shouldn't cost too much to get good phono performance, but the design considerations are significant and the engineering effort that went into phono stages to achieve excellent perfromance in the vinyl days was costly.

Components such as multiple paralleled JFET discrete differential input stages, ultra low noise and high gain discrete devices, often with completely separate and optimized stages for the characteristics of MM and MC cartridges made for relatively expensive preamplifiers.

DAC 'design' these days seems to be either a tweaked application-note design in a pretty can full of 'audiophile approved' components (ie, the ones with the pretty coloured sleeves, gold labels and esoteric names) or a serious design effort, backed with solid engineering and containing components fit for purpose, along with measured results to back that up (Benchmark etc).

Headphone amplifiers are a bit of a joke to me. Basically, most of them are a low power, class AB amplifier in-a-can at ridiculous money. As long as you can swing a decent voltage at essentially zero output impedance, can produce a nice clean square wave and the residual (noise uV) is extremely low, you have a headphone amplifier.

Headphones are not a difficult load. Some people like to believe their headphones are special because someone told them they are 'so difficult to drive'. That's BS. It makes them feel superior and justifies their need to buy some overpriced amplifier. I know plenty of audiophiles who love to boast their speakers are 'such a difficult load' that most amplifiers can't handle them. I tell them they are poorly designed, not difficult. In most cases, when you plot an impedance sweep, they are not that bad at all and most competent amplifiers can handle them easily. Much of it is internet folklore.

I would say older preamplifiers not using an opamp in the headphone stage (using tr buffers) can be perfect headphone amplifiers, with performance that walks all over the things I see peddled these days.

A headphone/DAC however is a different story, and IMO, a very useful device for on-the-go listening or upgrading.

Wombat

Master Contributor
I use an old NAD 3020 for its phono stage only. I occasionally consider getting a phono preamp but the internet BS puts me off with the $taircase to performance perceptions.

Dimitri

Headphone amplifiers are a bit of a joke to me.
That's because your large heavy amplifier that takes up too much desk space ( IF you put in on a desk ) has a headphone jack (and probably a tone control) :)

Dimitri

I use an old NAD 3020 for its phono stage only. I occasionally consider getting a phono preamp but the internet BS puts me off with the $taircase to performance perceptions.

The best upgrade for a phono preamp is a new cartridge.
Now...picking a new cartridge....that's a whole different nightmare. :)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
"That's because your large heavy amplifier that takes up too much desk space ( IF you put in on a desk ) has a headphone jack (and probably a tone control)"

My desk has enough gear on it already (test gear and electronics). :)

The big amplifiers are simply not good for headphone amplifiers in general. The issues are mainly unsuitably high output impedance (due to the padding resistors used to protect the headphones from instant burnout) combined with residual noise from active stages prior to the power amp stage.

A few integrated amplifiers have dedicated headphone stages to eliminate that performance bottleneck.

Wombat

Master Contributor
The best upgrade for a phono preamp is a new cartridge.
Now...picking a new cartridge....that's a whole different nightmare. :)

I'm happy with my oldies but goodies. Thankfully I don't want to 'upgrade'.

Pioneer PL L1000; Shure V15 IV, .

Technics SL 10(P-mounts); Technics EPC-310MC, Shure M92E, spare M95 stylus, Shure M75-S, Ortofon OM10E.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Top Bottom