• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Phono Cartridge Response Measurement Script

morillon

Major Contributor
by the way... you will like these Japanese denon because precisely they offer test ranges dedicated to observing the phase... (70-500hz, 500-4k, 4k-10k, " phase accuracy and balance test" )
;-)
ps
obviously i can observe the phase too with virtins pro..
and wav...

I will have to find the help of Japanese friends to clear up this ;-) :
face A
I point it out because it does not seem to me that it is referred to in your discussions...

Attachments

• 20230319_112445.jpg
    20230319_112445.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

morillon

Major Contributor
but the subject of this thread is the remarkable dedicated script of "jp"...
(note in the genre the remarkable work of pkane is the very powerful free software multitone, which integrates the reverse option riaa recently)
sorry..
:oops:

OP
JP

JP

Major Contributor
Test records are part and parcel - perfectly valid discussion.

OP
JP

JP

Major Contributor
I may have swapped the L-R in my post , this is pattern of x-talk what you get with the Denon as well? Blue = Left; Red = Right

View attachment 273016
Yup - the sample plot in post 3 is one of my 150MLX on XG-7001. Still haven’t bothered to investigate.

OP
JP

JP

Major Contributor
I would also like room for a picture of my turntable

Haha I already have that. Have always stripped the code out as it was only relevant to me, but I have a setting that inserts a couple PNGs - logo and a watermark behind the plot. I use this on measurements that I do end-to-end and believe to be accurate. Some people have copied and re-posted just the plot area which is also why the file details are placed inside the grid.

Version 16 Beta Example.png

morillon

Major Contributor
I don't admit I understand..
I have bad results with some discs and crosstalk tests with ref l-r 1khz tracks... or even disappointing like the 6605 etc.
but with the denon or hungaroton (see the specific crosstalk tracks of the hungaroton which makes me think that there is something to look for on the 1k ref tracks at 8cm which they pose a problem) I have, and seems to me the essential, in my case a 1k l-r crosstalk balance and the powerful virtins pro and crosstalk function.:oops:
sorry for my English
my inability to use your script and pyton etc .. and also my lack of courage to investigate further
:oops:

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yup - the sample plot in post 3 is one of my 150MLX on XG-7001. Still haven’t bothered to investigate.
Yes at least some consistency here.

morillon

Major Contributor
what happens if you flip the cables over when testing r-l..?

ps
We can take the reasoning from another angle....
do you think that a serious company like denon colombia can produce a "serious" test disc ( the 7007-7001 being a source of pride for them) with such a difference in crosstalk on these two channels?
that the engraving process is so poorly mastered that there is such a difference in crosstalk with a 1k L and a 1k R...? more 12db difference?

my point is only to feed the discussion reflection
;-)

Last edited:

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
what happens if you flip the cables over when testing r-l..?

ps
We can take the reasoning from another angle....
do you think that a serious company like denon colombia can produce a "serious" test disc with such a difference in crosstalk on these two channels?
that the engraving process is so poorly mastered that there is such a difference in crosstalk with a 1k L and a 1k R...? more 12db difference?

my point is only to feed the discussion reflection
;-)
Not sure what switching cables would give; both JPs and my results are basically the same.

These are the dead wax inscriptions of my copy side A and B:
1679229632042.jpeg

Attachments

• Denon Dead wax.png
    Denon Dead wax.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 28

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
with same script, no?

(for audio technica amator

just forgot..in beginning 80s..at-1000..diam cantilever...:cool:
Well,

this is the Audacity results with a HP filter in to reduce LF noise; around 1 kHz measured. Again around 8 dB difference between left and right channel (never mind the same visualisation, channels been flipped for the script). So no reason to challenge the script here.

Skärmavbild 2023-03-19 kl. 14.16.10.png
Skärmavbild 2023-03-19 kl. 14.17.13.png

morillon

Major Contributor
you know I have hardly any opinions.. just this observation at home under the virtins of balanced values and let you know..
but ,JP, you didn't even use virtins?
my remarks on the seriousness of a brand like denon in the heyday of vinyl seems to me just rather supposed etc.
I have no explanations , but especially questions
example
why if I use the two signals ref 1k at 8cm from the hugaroton.. I have results in the manner of what you announced with your denon.. then if I use the dedicated ranges for these measurements of the same hungaroton, I have balanced values etc?
funny

Last edited:

morillon

Major Contributor
you know I have hardly any opinions.. just this observation at home under the virtins of balanced values and let you know..
but you didn't even use virtins?
my remarks on the seriousness of a brand like denon in the heyday of vinyl seems to me just rather supposed etc.
I have no explanations, and especially questions
;-)
but have you tried this inversion of the wiring?
i stop it...

Last edited:
OP
JP

JP

Major Contributor
Well,

this is the Audacity results with a HP filter in to reduce LF noise; around 1 kHz measured. Again around 8 dB difference between left and right channel (never mind the same visualisation, channels been flipped for the script). So no reason to challenge the script here.

View attachment 273062View attachment 273063

There is a small FR error in the script from the the different FFT sizes and concatenation of those frequency ranges - I think it's likely from rounding and averaging. On a generated flat sweep it's .01Hz 20-20. I'd like to get rid of it, but for measuring phono cartridges it doesn't matter at all.

morillon

Major Contributor
what values of crosstalk you found with crosstalk fonction of virtins and your xg7001?
a little annoying.. just redid this day the manipulation and find things a little different..
a +- , 32.5 vs. 34db
thermic? noise in.my card? etc
i dont know..
but still nothing to do with the big differences pointed out..

Last edited:
OP
JP

JP

Major Contributor
-37.03dB left and -22.5dB right @1kHz, just like any other FFT says. The script isn't getting that wrong.

morillon

Major Contributor
let's say I'm very lucky then...
and my virtins, nice to me...
;-)

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
what values of crosstalk you found with crosstalk fonction of virtins and your xg7001?
a little annoying.. just redid this day the manipulation and find things a little different..
a +- , 32.5 vs. 34db
thermic? noise in.my card? etc
i dont know..
but still nothing to do with the big differences pointed out..
Note that even a tiny azimuth correction can swap level +/- 5 dB. That is why I ask for the phase.

Top Bottom