• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Phono amp with XLR output for Pro-ject Debut Carbon

Jayce996

Hello there,
i'll have a Pro-ject Debut Carbon turntable for christmas ;-) this choice was quite easy compared to the number of feedbacks and the price range.
now comes the more complex part, choosing the phono amp to link to my EMOTIVA XMC2.
I've two choices for connecting the turntable to the EMOTIVA either RCA or XLR.
I was more interested in connecting it to the XLR inputs, but by searching such Phono pre with XLR output, very few came out of the list, but none of them where below 300-400€.
So either i did not found the right one, or it is a matter of price and in this case, i need to get back to the RCA models...

Looking at the Review Index very few recommended RCA pre amp came out of the list, knowing that the EMOTIVA XPS-1 is out of stock here in France, only the Schiit Mani & the Cambridge Alva Duo are available.
which one should i choose, knowing that i don't need at all the headphone output, so only looking at the best quality /complementary model ? or another model?

and by the way, except the fact that my EMOTIVA has XLR inputs, is there any strong/hearable added value by using this kind of connection for turntables?

Emulator II

I guess an affordable and good solution could be an ifi Zen Phono. It has a balanced 4.4mm Pentaconn output. You just need an adapter cable to xlr. There is one from ifi itself but they charge 99€ for this. I bought one from ebay for 30€ and it works flawlessly. I power the Zen with a powerbank as it has a 5V DC input.
Together with my cheap Technics DD from the 80s it's dead qiet and sounds pretty good to my ears. With the Zen you can use MM or MC cartridges.

OP
J

Jayce996

I'm looking at this one, thanks!
just in case, is there any other option?
Should i focus on this XLR connector or RCA is WAAAAYYYYYY sufficient for turntables?

Top Bottom