• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Phono Amp and Speaker set up with limited budget help.

OP

07bmullane

Many turntables now have a built-in preamp but yours doesn't.

All USB turntables have built-in preamp because the analog-to-digital converter needs a line-level signal. Sometimes there are switchable RCA outputs so you can bypass the internal preamp and use your own. (The USB port is for digitizing, it's not really intended for everyday listening.)
Hi thanks for the reply but unfortunately I'm not too sure what you're talking about in context to my turntable as the RT83 has no pre-amp. I was enquiring about connecting my RT86 directly into a sound bar via a phono input as it would have in integrated phono amp. I'm not sure if that's even possible though but a guide seemed to suggest it. But if my suggestion was ill thought out that could be how we got crossed meanings here.

TimW

Major Contributor
At a local audio store we sell a lot of Edifier active speakers with cheap phono preamps and the combo offers excellent bang for the buck. This newer Edifier model isn't available in the states but it looks promising. The ART DJPRE II is a good phono stage for a reasonable price.

DanielT

Major Contributor
That's a fair configuration and something I've considered but like you I'm not too knowledgable on integrated receivers (I think that's the term) and would need advice on what to get. Plus I do not think I'd afford such a receiver AND speakers. But maybe it's possible. I mean this would probably be ideal if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks for your input!
Depends on what level you want to go to. Used? There are, for example, old NAD, different models of NAD, many of which have pre out and basically all have phono input. They do not cost much. But as I said then, it is partly used (pros and cons), partly you have to check with someone here to see if it is a sensible idea because I myself have not tested that combination. :)

OP

07bmullane

How about powered speakers with a phono input? Such as the Kanto YU4.
Yeah so my understanding would be that the RT83 (which has no integrated pre amp) could just directly connect into them since from what I understand those speakers have an integrated phono amp and amplifier. Is that correct?

They appear to be in budget too. Thanks for the suggestion!
Depends on what level you want to go to. Used? There are, for example, old NAD, different models of NAD, many of which have pre out and basically all have phono input. They do not cost much. But as I said then, it is partly used (pros and cons), partly you have to check with someone here to see if it is a sensible idea because I myself have not tested that combination. :)
Im not against used if someone could advise on what to look for. Though I'm not as sure if the used market is big in Europe as I had a gander on Ebay earlier and couldn't find much selection of amps

Last edited:
OP

07bmullane

I think that sounds smart and sensible. :)
Could you perhaps confirm that I am correct in assuming that the pre amp and are built in and I'll I have to do is connect my turntable to those speakers and nothing else. If so im pretty happy to go with them if that's what people think.

TimW

Major Contributor
Yeah so my understanding would be that the RT83 (which has no integrated pre amp) could just directly connect into them since from what I understand those speakers have an integrated phono amp and amplifier. Is that correct?
Yes that is correct. Just make sure the switch on the back of the Kanto is in the phono position so that the phono amp stage is active.

OP

07bmullane

Yes that is correct. Just make sure the switch on the back of the Kanto is in the phono position so that the phono amp stage is active.
Great that seems to be the most simple solution. Do you have any idea on the quality of the speakers?

TimW

Major Contributor
Here are measurements of the Kanto YU which should be very similar to the YU4 and here are measurements of the larger Kanto YU6. They have good directivity and the ability to play fairly loud but Amir only recommended the YU6 so it would seem worthwhile to stretch your budget for that one.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Great that seems to be the most simple solution. Do you have any idea on the quality of the speakers?
If you want to make it easy for yourself. Either what TimW suggests (active speaker with phono input) or an integrated amplifier with phono input and passive speakers.

Think about whether you need a remote control. If you need more inputs so you can then switch between, for example, turntable a CD player and maybe for example Spotify. It's fun with several choices. I think, anyway.:)

OP

07bmullane

If you want to make it easy for yourself. Either what TimW suggests (active speaker with phono input) or an integrated amplifier with phono input and passive speakers.

Think about whether you need a remote control. If you need more inputs so you can then switch between, for example, turntable a CD player and maybe for example Spotify. It's fun with several choices. I think, anyway.:)
That's all true and certainly something to think about. However I will likely be getting a more robust hifi system later on in which those considerations will be necessary. I think the YU6 or similar is all I need for now. I can always reuse these speakers for something else later on when I upgrade. I'm not going to be building off these speakers at all since they're probably limiting in that regard.

OP

07bmullane

Here are measurements of the Kanto YU which should be very similar to the YU4 and here are measurements of the larger Kanto YU6. They have good directivity and the ability to play fairly loud but Amir only recommended the YU6 so it would seem worthwhile to stretch your budget for that one.
I thought it was the YU4 you mentioned, not the YU6. I doubt I can afford the YU6 on my budget as they're about €70 more. I'll look into though.

TimW

Major Contributor
I thought it was the YU4 you mentioned, not the YU6. I doubt I can afford the YU6 on my budget as they're about €70 more. I'll look into though.
It was the YU4 that I initially mentioned since it was closer to your budget.
Do you have any idea on the quality of the speakers?
I have no experience with this brand but their powered speakers have been a popular option for several years now so I doubt they are total crap.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Then this is about giving tips advice. The taste is divided. :)

This one, for example, I would have chosen if I were to use a turntable. Because then I had received the entire "package" vintage with turntable and associated suitable vintage receiver. But as I said, it's a matter of taste.:)

OP

07bmullane

Then this is about giving tips advice. The taste is divided. :)

This one, for example, I would have chosen if I were to use a turntable. Because then I had received the entire "package" vintage with turntable and associated suitable vintage receiver. But as I said, it's a matter of taste.:)

That thing looks cool and I could get one it's roughly €150 plus €150 shipping from the US and I don't think that included import duties. I would still need a speaker afterwards too. So I don't think it's feasible or even worthwhile at that price unfortunately.

Glen20

If it is only you in your bedroom listening buy headphones
If you want to experience bass of any level for a great audio experience and not annoy housemates
Buy headphones

From my experience
Audiophile, budget and vinyl. Pick 2
Both buying and listening to vinyl is prob 10x price of digital.

I have CHOVS (chronic hoarding of vinyl syndrome). I still buy and listen to vinyl exclusively. Although have cds and music server.
I like the warm sound. ( never had dedicated dac to hear quality digital music to compare with vinyl) ( have smsl su-9n in the post)(will buy parks puffin next)
Love the art always disliked digital music sound experience as above

Dislike streaming for environmental and artist exploration etc ( after 20 full cd streams it is better for the environment to have bought the cd due to co2 emission from the data storage air conditioning. Half of the cds co2 emissions is from diving to store to buy 1 cd)

I love vinyl, buts it a silly expensive way to buy music and if you are still buying records it will delay your hifi dreams)they wear out scratch crackle and pop and then eventually you will need to buy them again like I am. Styli wear out and quality ones cost hundreds to thousands.

If you don’t have lots of vinyl go digital

Headphones some headphone amp-dac combo and bandcamp so the artist get paid

For reference I have
1xModified Technics 1210 mark3, originlive zephyr arm, goldring1042 cart, upgrade power supply feet etc dynevector phono
2xTechnics 1210 mark3 vestax mixer
Sennhieser hd25 1
2x Genelec 8030c active speakers
Rega cd player
Digibit Aria mini music server
Primaluna prolog premium integrated amp

OP

07bmullane

Slightly off topic but does anyone know if I'll need to buy any extra cables like extra RCA cables or extenders or a RCA to AUX adapter or anything. I'll be hopefully placing the speakers about a metre from the turntable. Though I'm happy with them next to each other if need be.

Also thank you to everyone for your advice and patience you've all been so helpful!

Last edited:
OP

07bmullane

If it is only you in your bedroom listening buy headphones
If you want to experience bass of any level for a great audio experience and not annoy housemates
Buy headphones

From my experience
Audiophile, budget and vinyl. Pick 2
Both buying and listening to vinyl is prob 10x price of digital.

I have CHOVS (chronic hoarding of vinyl syndrome). I still buy and listen to vinyl exclusively. Although have cds and music server.
I like the warm sound. ( never had dedicated dac to hear quality digital music to compare with vinyl) ( have smsl su-9n in the post)(will buy parks puffin next)
Love the art always disliked digital music sound experience as above

Dislike streaming for environmental and artist exploration etc ( after 20 full cd streams it is better for the environment to have bought the cd due to co2 emission from the data storage air conditioning. Half of the cds co2 emissions is from diving to store to buy 1 cd)

I love vinyl, buts it a silly expensive way to buy music and if you are still buying records it will delay your hifi dreams)they wear out scratch crackle and pop and then eventually you will need to buy them again like I am. Styli wear out and quality ones cost hundreds to thousands.

If you don’t have lots of vinyl go digital

Headphones some headphone amp-dac combo and bandcamp

For reference I have
1xModified Technics 1210 mark3, originlive zephyr arm, goldring1042 cart, upgrade power supply feet etc dynevector phono
2xTechnics 1210 mark3 vestax mixer
Sennhieser hd25 1
2x Genelec 8030c active speakers
Rega cd player
Digibit Aria mini music server
Primaluna prolog premium integrated amp
Thanks for your insight. I do want to get a somewhat competent set up for my vinyl. But it doesn't need to be absolutely perfect audiophile. A set up max €3,000 spread out over years of upgrading is probably all I'll spend. I certainly won't be buying a 10k set up unless I become rich. It's just a hobby for me. I like the ritual of popping a record on and looking at the sleeve while enjoying a glass of bourbon or something. I enjoy collecting records too. That's the main aspect of it. I probably won't reach your level whether that's a good or bad thing, I don't know. Thanks though!

As for the headphones I somewhat agree with you and I probably will get a headphone amp down the line too. But I don't want to always be wearing headphones when I listen to it and also I can't share the music with anyone too in a headphone only set up.

Glen20

Slightly off topic but does anyone know if I'll need to buy any extra cables like extra RCA cables or extenders or a RCA to AUX adapter or anything. I'll be hopefully placing the speakers about a metre from the turntable. Though I'm happy with them next to each other if need be.

Also thank you to everyone for your advice and patience you've all been so helpful!

You don’t want your speakers sitting on the same surface as your turntable because of vibration etc

Diy speaker stands are very cheap
So you can get tweeer at ear level
A few designs are on here ( have a search)
You will need a double cable (or 2 singles)to connect phono preamp to the amplifier (external of speakers or internal for actives)
Most likely rca to rca at this stage. But wait until you know what connection you need and how long. You will need connection jacks so to extend phono cable to active speakers if it has a phono amp on it ( a few £ or€)
Quality of Cables matter but only up to the quality of pro audio cables which you buy from a music instrument shop etc €20 each max
To get the same quality in a hifi or audiophile cable is a ripoff. And quality above pro cables are marginal or imaginary.
Keep cables short and tidy and power cables away from signal cables if possible
Look at Worlds best cables on amazon
then the amazon own brand version for cheaper version
Designacable.com in the uk look good and will be my next cable purchase
They have cables of different price ranges starting at £9.95 each

Top Bottom