• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Phono Amp and Speaker set up with limited budget help.

OP

07bmullane

You don’t want your speakers sitting on the same surface as your turntable because of vibration etc

Diy speaker stands are very cheap
So you can get tweeer at ear level
A few designs are on here ( have a search)
You will need a double cable (or 2 singles)to connect phono preamp to the amplifier (external of speakers or internal for actives)
Most likely rca to rca at this stage. But wait until you know what connection you need and how long. You will need connection jacks so to extend phono cable to active speakers if it has a phono amp on it ( a few £ or€)
Quality of Cables matter but only up to the quality of pro audio cables which you buy from a music instrument shop etc €20 each max
To get the same quality in a hifi or audiophile cable is a ripoff. And quality above pro cables are marginal or imaginary.
Keep cables short and tidy and power cables away from signal cables if possible
Look at Worlds best cables on amazon
then the amazon own brand version for cheaper version
Designacable.com in the uk look good and will be my next cable purchase
They have cables of different price ranges starting at £9.95 each
Hi Glen thanks for the reply. My turntable comes with a RCA cable set as far as I know. So is that sufficient or would I need anything else?

Glen20

Hi Glen thanks for the reply. My turntable comes with a RCA cable set as far as I know. So is that sufficient or would I need anything else?
With the kanto yu4 you won’t NEED extra cables. But you may WANT longer cables so speakers aren’t on same surface as turntable. Best to wait until you have all hardware and chair in place so you know exact distances/cable length required

Looks like good info for you. (Excluding speaker break in as it has been measured to take only fractions of a second mechanically The rest is probably psychological/ psycoacoustical. )

Godataloss

Best way to isolate the turntable is to attach it to the wall. A couple of sturdy brackets and a heavy mdf or stone slab will isolate from speakers and footfalls on the floor. If you can attach to a wall without any doors connected to it, it's even better.

Top Bottom