• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Phones for more comfortable music work. Suggestions?

velasfloyd

Massdrop X Sennheiser HD 6XX is $220. That's less than used HD 650 on eBay and much less than on Reverb. Is it the same thing?

I said hd-650 just because Im not from the USA and everything Drop related is quite impossible to get here... if you are from the USA then go for it :)

tech is so easy and cheap when you live in USA.... but you USA people dont realize that :)

Robin L

Master Contributor
I've got both the Sennheiser HD579 and 599 open back phones. Very comfortable, but I've heard better sound from closed-back phones.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Things to take into consideration:

Cord length: either coiled or max. 2.1 meter or a replaceable one (DT990 is fixed) or roll-up any long cables to size.
Clamping force (can often be lowered)
Pad material (pleather can get sweaty/sticky)
Airco'd room or not.
On-ears are an option when not wearing glasses and clamping force is low. (Koss PortaPro for instance)

On a warm/hot day all headphones become uncomfortable. There is no 'ventilation' going on in over-ear headphones. It's the pad material that makes it less 'sticky'. In the summer I sometimes get out the DT1350 (DT51P) but these are an acquired taste and would not recommend them to anyone.
Another option is the KSC75 but the ear-clip is not for everyone nor is the seal they give.
The latest KSC75 (and KSC7X) have noticeable less low end and do not sound as good as the old ones.
Koss claims they did not change things but doesn't appear to be true.

Then there is the Sony MDR-F1 for instance... That one will breath.

Last edited:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The DT 990 Pro comes with a curly cable. That could be a pain in the backside dealing with it all the time.
Yeah, I have to look at how long that is. Or just try it out. If it goes 1.5m with minimum tension it might be fine and maybe even be better than a 3m cable getting underfoot and in the chair castors.

I miss coiled cables, and single sided cables in general.

It's a shame that all the best headphones sacrifice ergonomics by catering to audiophoolery and go with dual entry.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The AT R70 is about as light and comfortable over ear (its probably more an/on over hybrid depending on lug size) as I have found. Can wear all day in this heat doing work. Great sounding and cool as you'll get.

Smidge over your budget but ticks all the other boxes. Second hand?

Tup3x

My AKG K712 Pro's are very comfortable. Especially since I replaced the stock velour pads with some sheepskin ones from China (They also changed the frequency response in a positive way for me)
I found the headband painful after a short while. Didn't like the sound either and gave it away.

usersky

Forum Donor
Consider Philips SHP9500. I won't get tired recommending them. Since I got them I forgot about any other wired headphone I have.

Bob-23

I found the headband painful
Using the K702 (same construction as the 712), I zip tie the leather headband to the above metal band: that soves 'the problem' completely. The phones are very comfortable now, in particular for those with big ears, much more comfortable than the HD600, which I also use. HD600 are the masters of neutrality - and I can also recommend very much the K702: their soundstage is a lot better than HD600's soundstage, but they need to be eq'ed (like so many phones), and they are brutally honest and non-forgiving: they don't accept bad recordings. But heaving eq'd them and having good recordings (which you still find a lot in Jazz and in classics, unfortunaletly no more in 'pop') - they are great, and it was not without reason that they once belonged to the big three: HD600/650 - DT880 - K701/702. Prices have fallen drastically, as they are no more produced in Austria...

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Using the K702 (same construction as the 712), I zip tie the leather headband to the above metal band: that soves 'the problem' completely. The phones are very comfortable now, in particular for those with big ears, much more comfortable than the HD600, which I also use. HD600 are the masters of neutrality - and I can also recommend very much the K702: their soundstage is a lot better than HD600's soundstage, but they need to be eq'ed (like so many phones), and they are brutally honest and non-forgiving: they don't accept bad recordings. But heaving eq'd them and having good recordings (which you still find a lot in Jazz and in classics, unfortunaletly no more in 'pop') - they are great, and it was not without reason that they once belonged to the big three: HD600/650 - DT880 - K701/702. Prices have fallen drastically, as they are no more produced in Austria...

Care to share your eq setting for the 702 please?

usersky

Forum Donor
The Philips Fidelio X2HR are one of the most comfy and pleasant sounding headphones I've ever used. I think they meet all of your 4 requirements.

To me Fidelios X2 are heavy, get really hot, headand not the best (in principle I don't feel that kind of headband conducive to a perfect head positioning, like in 712 case also), I feel claustrophobic almost wearing them for longer periods. They sound fun, slightlit coloured for professional use. Howerver their little sister SHP9500 beat them in every single aspect, for me at least.

Bob-23

Attachments

• AKG_K702.png
    AKG_K702.png
    263.2 KB · Views: 104

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Cheers

cubanmetalguy

To me Fidelios X2 are heavy, get really hot, headand not the best (in principle I don't feel that kind of headband conducive to a perfect head positioning, like in 712 case also), I feel claustrophobic almost wearing them for longer periods. They sound fun, slightlit coloured for professional use. Howerver their little sister SHP9500 beat them in every single aspect, for me at least.
SHP9500 are a good choice too, at half the price.

OP
thefsb

thefsb

Addicted to Fun and Learning
On a warm/hot day all headphones become uncomfortable. There is no 'ventilation' going on in over-ear headphones.
That's a useful remark. For my application there's no point sacrificing SQ for a small gain in hot-weather comfort if all the candidates eventually become uncomfortable.

Might get a KSC75 for walking the dog while listening to audio books.

Top Bottom