• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Philips Fidelio X2HR Review (headphone)

paulraphael

Hi,

No time to read comments.

My own comment : really disappointed in these results.
Because I own the Fidelio X2HR and as far as I am concerned, I can listen to it for hours.
And I am enjoying the sound I hear coming out of it.
Objective and subjective :-(

Well, that was before I got another headphone I like much more (but not in the same price league).

Which ones do you like better? I'm with you on enjoying the X2HR. I've bought some other headphones to try to replace them and haven't liked them as much.

weasels

Agreed 100%. I used to have an old philips Uptown...used it fully until it crumbles, and then bought Fidelio L1 on sale... quite a significant improvement overall, then the X2HR went on sale ... immediately clicked my old Amazon acc. And until today, remained my favorite. So, for each ears (esp as old age starts to show its effects)...

This is aligned to my thinking. I have big ears, like bass, and have higher frequency hearing loss (e.g. above 12.5khz). So I am still interested in these despite the inconsistent measurements.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I bought it mainly due to its low impedance and possibility to work with mobile devices. It works just fine with my Samsung Note 9. I get satisfactory volume level using just my phone. Of cause, my phone can't get loud enough to distort the bass, so no concern there with bass. Highs also not bad either via my phone. Good enough for my main use case.

MGG

I love X2HR. They are most enjoyable, both sound and comfort wise, out of all headphones I have tried so far. But then I also like the sound of Grado SR125, so what do I know :)

starfly

Forum Donor
I guess this proves I'm not the most discerning "audiophile", as I have these headphones and they sound just fine to me :) And most importantly, they're very comfortable and my ears don't get too hot.

paulraphael

I love X2HR. They are most enjoyable, both sound and comfort wise, out of all headphones I have tried so far. But then I also like the sound of Grado SR125, so what do I know :)

Me too. This model seems especially polarizing (both to listeners and to measurers). Maybe some headphones are more sensitive than others to different listener shapes.

It's beyond the subjectivity of speakers. It's more like disagreeing with someone about how comfortable a pair of shoes are, when the two of you have different sized feet.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Me too. This model seems especially polarizing (both to listeners and to measurers). Maybe some headphones are more sensitive than others to different listener shapes.

It's beyond the subjectivity of speakers. It's more like disagreeing with someone about how comfortable a pair of shoes are, when the two of you have different sized feet.
Or when one of you has two different sized feet. The sound quality of the X2HR 'phones is on a border where the overall effect can be good or bad depending on the program. And they are the most comfortable headphones I own. The fact that they are relatively efficient is something else in their favor. Still, when I put on the AKG K371s my thought is "So, that was what I was missing".

Robin L

Master Contributor

starfly

Forum Donor
Or when one of you has two different sized feet. The sound quality of the X2HR 'phones is on a border where the overall effect can be good or bad depending on the program. And they are the most comfortable headphones I own. The fact that they are relatively efficient is something else in their favor. Still, when I put on the AKG K371s my thought is "So, that was what I was missing".

So the AKG K371 is a closed back. Do these follow the Harman target? Is there an equivalent Open Back version of it with the same sound signature? If it's not too expensive and similarly comfortable, I'd be open to a "better" headphone.

Robin L

Master Contributor
So the AKG K371 is a closed back. Do these follow the Harman target? Is there an equivalent Open Back version of it with the same sound signature? If it's not too expensive and similarly comfortable, I'd be open to a "better" headphone.
So far I haven't encountered any open backed headphones with the same sound signature as a closed back phone. I'm not in a position to judge whether or not any headphone conforms to the Harman target, though some reviewers say as much as regards the K371. Subjectively speaking, the K371 sounds more "open" to these ears than the X2HRs on account of having better SQ in the treble, less mud in the bass. But the AKG phones do sound like closed-backed 'phones.

starfly

Forum Donor
So far I haven't encountered any open backed headphones with the same sound signature as a closed back phone. I'm not in a position to judge whether or not any headphone conforms to the Harman target, though some reviewers say as much as regards the K371. Subjectively speaking, the K371 sounds more "open" to these ears than the X2HRs on account of having better SQ in the treble, less mud in the bass. But the AKG phones do sound like closed-backed 'phones.

Thanks. I prefer open back for longer listening sessions as my ears just get too hot in closed backs. I'll keep casually looking until I find something that might fit the bill :)

Robin L

Master Contributor
Thanks. I prefer open back for longer listening sessions as my ears just get too hot in closed backs. I'll keep casually looking until I find something that might fit the bill :)
Have you tried the Drop 6XX? I've got those. I slightly prefer the treble of the K371, the 6XX sounds a little "soft" on top, even when eq-ed. But otherwise exemplary, when eq-ed, better than the K371 in the lower octaves. Needs more power, but the bass response [again, with eq and some power] is overall better.

starfly

Forum Donor
Have you tried the Drop 6XX? I've got those. I slightly prefer the treble of the K371, the 6XX sounds a little "soft" on top, even when eq-ed. But otherwise exemplary, when eq-ed, better than the K371 in the lower octaves. Needs more power, but the bass response [again, with eq and some power] is overall better.

Are those the Sennheisers? They might be too bass light for my taste. I also use them behind the PC when playing games and might not always have the ability to EQ.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Are those the Sennheisers? They might be too bass light for my taste. I also use them behind the PC when playing games and might not always have the ability to EQ.
Sennheisers, the HD 650s. They have bass when there's eq and power. You might be asking for too much.

PenguinMusic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Which ones do you like better? I'm with you on enjoying the X2HR. I've bought some other headphones to try to replace them and haven't liked them as much.

Hi,

For me, the quest for the headphone that matches my tastes endend when I listend to the Oppo PM-1/PM-2 (which sound about the same).
Of course, different price league.
And sadly, no more Oppo as they decided to stop their Audio activities...

Regards.

DualTriode

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It is caused by different HATS (different pinnae, different ear canals, different correction curves, different positioning)
Some of it could be unit could also be unit to unit variance.

Hello,

With all those variables and if none of it matters anyway why measure in the first place?

I have a test fixture to build.

Thanks DT

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Hello,

With all those variables and if none of it matters anyway why measure in the first place?

I have a test fixture to build.

Thanks DT

Who said none of it matters ?
I built one many years ago because I find it useful.
Fact remains that the same exact headphone will measure differently on different rigs.
That's a fact of life.
The take away is: when you want to EQ don't rely on one specific rig.

Top Bottom