• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Philharmonic BMR Speaker Review

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is that after EQ? If not, then I think you may have an atypical room. When I tested them in my room, I was only getting 34-36Hz extension. My 160lb towers only get 27-30Hz in here. Website lists 33Hz in room extension, which was close to what I experienced. Never tried the BMR(though I plan to some day), so I can't speak to that. They're much larger though, so I'd assume they could dig a bit deeper(maybe 5Hz or so?).
The 1430 cu ft room is definitely helping. I use Audyssey, however it doesn't alter the extension of a speaker. It detects the F3 and does not create filters below that point.

Buchardt S400 In-Room Extension.png

For this graph, I was testing crossover settings to see how much relief it offers the speakers. Black line is speakers set to "Large", aka bass management is off. Then, it's 40 Hz, 60 Hz, and 80 Hz crossover settings, measured with the subs on in the AVR but physically turned off. @EEG this is just bass management done with an AVR – the subwoofer used doesn't matter. @Beave

If you look close you can spot the room gain :)

The null at 95 Hz is due to an axial (length) mode :confused:

Last edited:

Beave

Major Contributor
^Are those plots post-EQ? Can you show a plot for response with no EQ?

alexis

Audio Company
BMR has been used in very tight spaces and desktop computer settings. See the following three pictures.

The 1st one BMR is paired with an one watt tube amplifier (300B tube).

The 2nd owner has been comparing BMR to his headphones: Audeze LCD MX-4、Sennheiser HD700、Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 and Beyerdynamic Amiron Wireless copper.

The 3rd owner initially has the BMR toe-in. After we told him not to do that, he now feels the sound stage increase without toe-in.

All three are near-field examples.

This guy likes his:
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/f3czay
The horizontal and vertical directivity are wider than your typical speaker (well, the very top end isn’t as good vertically), which is good for being in the near-field.
Coaxials are still king though (and luckily a desktop setup will easily allow for EQ).

Attachments

• BMR table3.jpg
    BMR table3.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 485
  • BMR table1.jpg
    BMR table1.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 355
  • BMR table 2.jpg
    BMR table 2.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 323

EEG

It seems that all 3 pics are from China or other country from Asia. Judging the very small size of the rooms.
Also very colorful environment .

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
I'm not quite sure what your concern is. We already know the tweeter has rising distortion in that area at high SPL's, and that has nothing to do with crossover components per se.
Thinking about it again, the effective crossover shift could be caused by a rise in tweeter resistance when heating up. I know this can happen in traditional voice coils, but no clue about the magnitude of the effect in ribbons.

I wouldn't be surprised if it were a minor issue in practice then, as tweeters generally don't get subjected to low crest factor test signals in real life. Might be worth investigating though.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Question for you guys:
I try to do video reviews of speakers I test. I'm pretty bogged down right now with speakers I need to review. Do you guys see a need for this one to be rolled up in to a video? I'm erring on punting and moving on to other tests.

I posted earlier in this thread but I wound up making a YT video review of this speaker. Here is a link if you missed it:

Per my quote above, I didn't plan on even doing this. But I did. Ironically, this video is one of my most popular ones so far. I mean, it's only a measly 598 views right now. But it's just funny... I half expected a speaker like this to not get much interest but it's surpassed most of my others. Go figure.

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
I posted earlier in this thread but I wound up making a YT video review of this speaker. Here is a link if you missed it:

Per my quote above, I didn't plan on even doing this. But I did. Ironically, this video is one of my most popular ones so far. I mean, it's only a measly 598 views right now. But it's just funny... I half expected a speaker like this to not get much interest but it's surpassed most of my others. Go figure.
Now, I only watched it 594 times.

xarkkon

Now, I only watched it 594 times.
and I the remaining 4. been scouring the interwebs for a decent video review of the BMR for a long long time. found your channel when listening to the S400 review and found the BMR one which I've watched a few times now. Great job!

Ericglo

I was only going to glance at the video and ended up watching the whole thing.:eek::)

D

Deleted member 17820

Well it's a 3-way and it has dat ribbon, so it has that "exotic" allure to it.
I have found the best use for ribbon based speakers to be audio books, simple tracks, EDM. The clarity of voice with a Philharmonic speaker can't be beat. However, for me, ribbons/planars tend to make things sound flat and bland the more complex the music becomes.

Lbstyling

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
You're not alone in this. I found the speaker bright over all as well and they were being used in a large room with plenty of hard bare surfaces . It was especially noticable with older recordings, the Beatles, rolling stones etc. With good recordings it sounded incredible. It did things with the sound stage I've never heard before or since. The clarity was next level and voices were incredibly believable. I just couldn't use them with sub par recordings.

The speaker measures with an unusually constant directivity response. That is to say it does not narrow in pattern control at the top end much at all (wide dispersion across the whole audio spectrum rather than just in the bass like most speakers)

But it's also a ribbon tweeter. The ribbon is very wide pattern, but very narrow vertically resulting in at or above average total sound power radiated into the room, but in a unusual manner.

We are certain that the ear interprets patterns from the horizontal plane differently to the vertical (were MUCH more sensitive to horrizontal pattern changes)

This means that although the total radiated energy may not be that high in the trebble, it is likely perceived the same way a flat or tilted up power response is (similar issue to the behringer 2031a)

Basically, there is nothing wrong with the speaker, It will need a 'house curve'. -tilting the EQ down from 1khz to 20khz. By how much? To taste, but start with 2db slant, but as much as 6-8db is not crazy.

this may be more true with lots of hard surfaces in the room.

Last edited:

muad

The speaker measures with an unusually constant directivity response. That is to say it does not narrow in pattern control at the top end much at all (wide dispersion across the whole audio spectrum rather than just in the bass like most speakers)

But it's also a ribbon tweeter. The ribbon is very wide pattern, but very narrow vertically resulting in at or above average total sound power radiated into the room, but in a unusual manner.

We are certain that the ear interprets patterns from the horizontal plane differently to the vertical (were MUCH more sensitive to horrizontal pattern changes)

This means that although the total radiated energy may not be that high in the trebble, it is likely perceived the same way a flat or tilted up power response is (similar issue to the behringer 2031a)

Basically, there is nothing wrong with the speaker, It will need a 'house curve'. -tilting the EQ down from 1khz to 20khz. By how much? To taste, but start with 2db slant, but as much as 6-8db is not crazy.

this may be more true with lots of hard surfaces in the room.
This was exactly my experience when I had them. Tonally too bright for me and yes, with lots of hard surfaces. The sound quality and presentation was on another level relative to my Revels F206. Closest thing I've experienced to the singer being present in the room.

I wish I knew then what I know now about MMM measurements...

Lbstyling

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This was exactly my experience when I had them. Tonally too bright for me and yes, with lots of hard surfaces. The sound quality and presentation was on another level relative to my Revels F206. Closest thing I've experienced to the singer being present in the room.

I wish I knew then what I know now about MMM measurements...

I think a target curve should now really be part of the standard repertorie for speaker setup. Maybe also dynamic EQ. As a minimum, amplifiers should have the ability to change the tilt from 1khz upwards in 1db steps IMO.

Last edited:
Top Bottom