• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Philharmonic BMR Monitor Semi-Objective Review - Road Show Stop 1

OP
Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
So, are you going to replace the X18s with the BMRs?;)

I know it has been said that the SB's aluminum version of the ceramic woofers measure almost identical. It might be an option if you prefer a non-white driver.

You will have to wait for the 2nd review to get an answer to that. Will I put my $$ where my mouth is? Stay tuned!

I do have a good pair of 24" stands here...

I've sold several pairs of BMR's with the black version of the woofer. Both woofers are aluminum. The coating is slightly different, but they perform identically.

Uh oh!

Last edited:
OP
Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
I believe the F208 originally used the SB Acoustics driver, then they changed to one very much like it but without the crinkles.

You can easily see it in pix of early production F208s.

I am not sure I am even following this conversation, but the 6" drivers in my F206s are cosmetically identical to the driver in the BMR, save for the color. The cone looks exactly same. The dust cap looks exactly the same. The surround looks and feels exactly the same. If the F206 does not have SB Acoustics drivers, it has excellent clones. Or am I not following the conversation?

I'll snap a photo later. They are sitting closely together in the media room right now, making that simple.

Beave

Major Contributor
I believe the F208 originally used the SB Acoustics driver, then they changed to one very much like it but without the crinkles.

You can easily see it in pix of early production F208s.

As far as I know, the F208 still uses the same SB Acoustics woofers that it always did. They haven't changed anything.

Ericglo

You will have to wait for the 2nd review to get an answer to that. Will I put my $$ where my mouth is? Stay tuned!

I do have a good pair of 24" stands here...

Uh oh!

Looking at the photos, I would have to agree with the black version for the BMR. I do like the look of the white drivers like in Rick Craig's Ceramicas, but I think the all black drivers would look better.

As for whether Revel is using SB drivers, who cares? It has come up several times in different threads. While of some interest, it doesn't have any great value.

alexis

Audio Company
For your reference, here are two black woofer BMRs. One rectangle and one curved.

CurvRec1S.JPG

CurvRec2S.JPG

Beave

Major Contributor
I think the red one is available (and popular?) in Taiwan.

Also, I've read that Philharmonic might soon have a few available in the US in gloss black and in white.

Beave

Major Contributor
As for whether Revel is using SB drivers, who cares? It has come up several times in different threads. While of some interest, it doesn't have any great value.

Who cares? Probably many audio enthusiasts. You know, people on this forum. If it has come up several times in different threads, isn't that in itself evidence that people here do care?

sfdoddsy

As far as I know, the F208 still uses the same SB Acoustics woofers that it always did. They haven't changed anything.

We're sidetracking the review, but I recall reading somewhere that they switched manufacturers and had someone else make them to the same specs.

Certainly the ones Amir reviewed here recently don't seem to have same SB bass drivers (with the crinkle) as the originals did.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/revel-f208-tower-speaker-review.13192/

Neither do these ones:

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649344777-revel-f208-piano-black-mint-condition/images/1500732/

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
I think the red one is available (and popular?) in Taiwan.

Also, I've read that Philharmonic might soon have a few available in the US in gloss black and in white.
We've ordered some piano black and piano white for arrival in March, but they will require a $200 deposit to hold because there aren't many of them. Most will be the current dark walnut.

alexis

Audio Company
I know the wine-colored cabinet is the one that you can order in its assembled form from Philharmonic Audio directly, but I didn't see the red one, is the red one a DIY version?

I like the "wine-color" comment. The red one is a curved BMR sample for Taiwan. If you notice, the curved cabinet has a larger roundover and a larger baffle. The actual production will use Burl veneer for the curved BMR - same as the BMR Tower. We will release a limited set of Burl Curved BMR at Feb 2021 in Taiwan. All customers who bought curved BMR requested upgrades for binding posts and internal wires. These should be "just" visual differences. The cabinets are going through 12 steps piano finish as I write this post.

honn

I like the "wine-color" comment. The red one is a curved BMR sample for Taiwan. If you notice, the curved cabinet has a larger roundover and a larger baffle. The actual production will use Burl veneer for the curved BMR - same as the BMR Tower. We will release a limited set of Burl Curved BMR at Feb 2021 in Taiwan. All customers who bought curved BMR requested upgrades for binding posts and internal wires. These should be "just" visual differences. The cabinets are going through 12 steps piano finish as I write this post.
So, if I understand you right, you are saying the non-curved cabinets will be the regularly available ones, and the curvy ones are only limited editions?

honn

Also, do you know if there will be non-glossy Walnut/Oak options? I prefer non-glossy matte finish, something that has a wooden texture to it.

honn

We've ordered some piano black and piano white for arrival in March, but they will require a $200 deposit to hold because there aren't many of them. Most will be the current dark walnut.
Dennis, what other cabinet colors/finishes are possible to order? A matte Walnut or Oak? Thanks.

Beave

Major Contributor
We're sidetracking the review, but I recall reading somewhere that they switched manufacturers and had someone else make them to the same specs.

Certainly the ones Amir reviewed here recently don't seem to have same SB bass drivers (with the crinkle) as the originals did.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/revel-f208-tower-speaker-review.13192/

Neither do these ones:

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649344777-revel-f208-piano-black-mint-condition/images/1500732/

I see the 'ribs' in Amir's picture. I can't see any detail at all in the ad on usaudiomart.

alexis

Audio Company
So, if I understand you right, you are saying the non-curved cabinets will be the regularly available ones, and the curvy ones are only limited editions?

Yes, and curved ones are only available in Taiwan this Feb 2021. We don't have matt finish option at this point. The piano finish, in addition to looking good, also is more durable and more scratch resistant than the matt option - although the piano finish costs a lot more. ;)

honn

Yes, and curved ones are only available in Taiwan this Feb 2021. We don't have matt finish option at this point. The piano finish, in addition to looking good, also is more durable and more scratch resistant than the matt option - although the piano finish costs a lot more. ;)
Is the wine-colored one in the picture the same piano finish too, or?

alexis

Audio Company
Is the wine-colored one in the picture the same piano finish too, or?

Yes, the same piano finish. Difficult to capture all the glossy surface. This is the one being reviewed in the roadshow.

Top Bottom