• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Philharmonic Audio BMR Speaker Discussion

B&WTube

I'm afraid I have to background or experience in line level filtering.
Not a problem. I know someone who can advise on this. However, if you could advise on frequency level of how low I should go, before eliminating signal to the BMR midrange, that would be great. I am guessing wiping everything below 200 or 300 hz would be about right, but IDK.

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Thanks, for the response! I did buy the full meniscus kit. I will repack the midrange cabinet. Would you recommend? I have on hand the meniscus stuff, and the following:
https://www.parts-express.com/sonic...ts-with-foil-155-sq-ft-315-x-181-4-p--268-040
https://www.parts-express.com/sonic-barrier-1-acoustic-sound-damping-foam-with-psa-18-x-24--260-525
I look forward to seeing your continued development. I may end up being interested in the new woofer you have coming out, which might be especially cool with the dual BMR's.

I already have the Mundorf Supreme caps in the tweeter. I am thinking of upgrading from the Audyn caps for the mid range and woofer crossovers. Do you have any recommendations? I was looking at the Audyn True Copper caps.
You should only use the EcoCore that Meniscus Mark sent you. You can scavenge enough from the big sheets to fill the midrange chamber fully. I'm not a believer in cap upgrades except for the tweeter, and that's only because the values are low and you can upgrade fairly inexpensively. It won't make any difference, of course, but you won't lose sleep wondering what might have been.

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Any updates on the Purifi version?
The Purifi engineers have contacted me to see if there's any way to make the Purifi work in the BMR cabinet. Currently, it tunes too low with the passive radiators, and I couldn't find a port configuration that was practical. It may be that the best use for the Purifi would be as a dedicated sealed midrange in, say, one of Jim Salk's large towers, which run the mid from about 400 Hz to 1900 Hz. That way you could take advantage of the driver's super low HD and IM distortion in the midrange without having to find a workable PR or ported configuration.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Purifi engineers have contacted me to see if there's any way to make the Purifi work in the BMR cabinet. Currently, it tunes too low with the passive radiators, and I couldn't find a port configuration that was practical. It may be that the best use for the Purifi would be as a dedicated sealed midrange in, say, one of Jim Salk's large towers, which run the mid from about 400 Hz to 1900 Hz. That way you could take advantage of the driver's super low HD and IM distortion in the midrange without having to find a workable PR or ported configuration.

Hi Dennis!

The existing DIY cabinet and tuning seems really close to usable. Even the woofer cutout is close.

Please elaborate on what you found objectionable? Somebody is bound to try eventually...

swampbrain

Excellent question and a real sore spot for me. You would think the BMR's working principles could be incorporated in a more robust version with even smoother response and lower distortion. I wrote to the company recently, haven't heard back yet. I suspect the answer is that it wouldn't fit their business model. The BMR drivers are generally used in multiples as line arrays or in special applications like airports (The Moving Walkway is Ending..........." where good intelligibility is needed at reasonable cost. Most of the BMR's have super low sensitivity. The only exception is the one I use, and I suspect it was commissioned by Cambridge Audio for use in their Aero series. I do have a design that uses four BMR's, but it's the size of Pittsburgh and costs Uber Dineros.
Release plans or a kit maybe so poorer folks could give it a try?

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Hi Dennis!

The existing DIY cabinet and tuning seems really close to usable. Even the woofer cutout is close.

Please elaborate on what you found objectionable? Somebody is bound to try eventually...
I don't think I ever saw this post. I couldn't find a practical port configuration that had sufficiently low chuffing at high volume. And the factory passive radiators tuned the box too low even with no added mass. Since then, I've worked with a mini[-tower cabinet with a long port designed by Jim Salk, and that works great, but it uses two Purfifi's in an MMT configuration. Expensive, but a very clean, high output machine.

fun

For the center, Dennis recommends a third Philharmonic BMR lying on its side with the tweeter rotated 90 degrees.
Have anybody done this, and if so, how's the result? I'm concerned that the driver arrangement of the horizontal BMR is asymmetric (i.e. compare to MTM). The tweeter and woofer are at different side, and even the mid-range driver is not centered horizontally as far as I can tell. Wouldn't that affect the center imaging from this speaker?

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Has anyone ever tried using the Raal deflector pads on the BMR's to improve vertical directivity?
The pads aren't meant to be used with the 64-10 tweeter. They're designed for the 70-10, which has a native response that starts taking off in the highs and is maybe 10 - 12 dB hot at 20 kHz. Although the pads do improve vertical dispersion slightly, their main purpose is to act as a passive tone control to flatten out the highs when spaced far apart, and to tilt down the highs from flat when placed close together. In any position on the 64-10, the highs will be tilted down. There's also the issue of whether you want greater vertical dispersion. That's very controversial.

Top Bottom