• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Phil Spector and the Wall of Sound

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Is that so? I tried to research why e.g. Cohen (my favourite of the three) decided to collaborate with him, and there seem to be many conflicting accounts. The only thing that seems clear is that he was happy with neither the collaboration nor the end product...

Twas Cohen's manager who made the connection:

"And yet, when Cohen’s manager suggested cutting an album with Spector, the singer was intrigued. On the surface, the idea sounded like a disaster: Cohen had so reviled previous producers’ attempts to enrich his monastic sound that he took over the tapes and finished the mix himself, condemning all previous instrumentations to the background and refusing even rock staples such as drums. But other factors triumphed. There were obvious biographical similarities: Both men were born to upper-middle-class Jewish families; at age 9 both had lost their fathers (Cohen’s died of an illness); and both were fond of their immigrant grandfathers, with their strange accents and old-world religion. Both found solace in music, communicating better in song than they did in any other way, and both approached their craft in an intensely personal way, channeling all their hurt and hope and lust into chord changes and refrains. Cohen was stronger with the lyrics, Spector with the tunes; the manager they shared, Martin Machat, suggested that they get together and see if they could collaborate on an album. Both clients, Machat realized, badly needed a hit."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tabletmag.com/amp/sections/arts-letters/articles/wall-of-crazy

https://bloodonthetrackspod.com/episodes/chapter-five-phil-spector-and-leonard-cohen-s1!433dd#t=112

Last edited:

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The wall of sound recording technique is horrible IMO.

No question Spector was a loathsome individual, and no question the "wall of sound" had a very short shelf life, but I'd contend that during its early and brief peak it was an intelligent exploitation of contemporary domestic replay limitations. Home record players and car radios were all about a muddy, homogenized upper bass and midrange blare, and the "wall of sound" blasted out with tremendous pace and energy. Good for a year or two, but he was a one trick pony with no Plan B.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I...I..actually like what he did with Let It Be.

(It's ok, don't get up, I know the way to the gallows...) :)
YOU'RE DEAD TO ME, HOOPER! DEAD TO ME!!!!!

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
If you don't like what Spector did with Let It Be, there's this:

1611021837579.png

"Let It Be... Naked is an alternative mix of the Beatles' 1970 album Let It Be, released on 17 November 2003 by Apple Records. The project was initiated by Paul McCartney, who felt that the original album's producer, Phil Spector, did not capture the group's intended stripped-down aesthetic."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let_It_Be..._Naked

Robin L

Master Contributor
Easy Rider wasn't about two innocent hippies offed by hostile rednecks. It was an indictment of that culture as it was moving towards selling out. It begins with an act of selling out. It's all about karma:

Robin L

Master Contributor
Top Bottom