• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Phil Collins performed his last concert

F

freemansteve

Sad to see him old and ill, but it has been a LONG time since he was involved with any new music I'd listen too.

Katji

Major Contributor
Good to see the...support/compatibility here. The "you're not alone" aspect of ASR. It has a moderating effect on me.
I always detested Phil Collins. It seemed so different from Genesis. Sort of vaguely in the same category as Chris De Burgh. I'm glad it's passed, it just survives in that component of audiophile forums and their favourites lists.

Stevie Nicks...? Well, Fleetwood Mac was dead to me after Peter Green.

"Soft Rock", maybe more than Prog Rock, was why I was so ready for the Sex Pistols and The Damned. ...Rock'n'Roll revived, revitalised.

PS: Come to think of it, I'd already moved away from that side, I was happy listening to The Allman Brothers and so on, all day every day.

Last edited:

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I switched to classical before I had the change to discover this and other well considered modern musicians. Sometimes I feel I should find some time to get in contact with their music. What do you recommend from Collins?

F

freemansteve

I switched to classical before I had the change to discover this and other well considered modern musicians. Sometimes I feel I should find some time to get in contact with their music. What do you recommend from Collins?

Foxtrot (well, the track "Supper's Ready") - a Genesis album. Collins does a good job in the 9/8 time organ piece...

OP
Raindog123

Raindog123

Major Contributor
I always detested Phil Collins. It seemed so different from Genesis.

When I speak of Genesis I too always make sure I let everyone know it’s “Peter Gabriel’s Genesis” that I love. But the truth is, Phil Collins was there as well - on Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, Selling England, and The Lamb… - despite all the artistic disagreement that led to the breakup in ‘75.

Katji

Major Contributor
I was not a big fan but two of the friends were, so I heard it a lot. ... :) And one of them [of those two] became a big fan of The Allman Brothers, when we lived in next-door apartments - sort of a communal setup with the doors open, so he heard it pretty much every day. Then, a few years ago, he got all these Allman Brothers DVDs.

Sometimes new posts in R.I.P. threads are disturbing, so are photos of them in a decrepit state like that. :confused:

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Wether you like his music or not, his talent is undeniable.

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
Wether you like his music or not, his talent is undeniable.

i do agree with that 110%

ecept, like i've said, even from the short outtake i saw....it felt cringe, certainly like a desparate last cash grab for old times sake glory - at least IMHO

you know...
I can't dance, I can't talk.
Only thing about me is the way I walk.
I can't dance, I can't sing
I'm just standing here selling everything.

HiFidFan

Forum Donor
i do agree with that 110%

ecept, like i've said, even from the short outtake i saw....it felt cringe, certainly like a desparate last cash grab for old times sake glory - at least IMHO

you know...

Or maybe he just has a hard time letting go of his life's passion? I'm going out on a limb and say that Phil probably has plenty of money. Perhaps I'm wrong. Neither of us knows his motivations, conjecture is meaningless.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Or maybe he just has a hard time letting go of his life's passion? I'm going out on a limb and say that Phil probably has plenty of money. Perhaps I'm wrong. Neither of us knows his motivations, conjecture is meaningless.

That's my take on it, if it was just about money I'm guessing there would have been easier ways to make a few dollars. I am not a Phil Collins fan as such but I have never got the hate for him. He is undeniably talented and his music is at least listenable and we'll performed.

Katji

Major Contributor
The most cringe thing was Patti Smith forgetting the song words. ...But she was always sort of marginal.
I don't know about the money but I'm sure her motivations are the same as ever.

OP
Raindog123

Raindog123

Major Contributor
you know...

“And the lights are all on, the world is watching now
People looking for truth, we must not fail them now
Be sure, before we close our eyes
Don't walk away from here
'Til you hear both sides, no no no no

Here we are all gathered in what seems to be the centre of the storm
Neighbours once friendly now stand
Each side of the line that has been drawn
They've been fighting here for years
But now there's killing on the streets
While small coffins are lined up sadly, now united in defeat
We always need to hear both sides of the story”

hex168

One of the best prog drummers ever. cf. Musical Box on Nursery Cryme. Also jazz fusion with Brands X, ex. Morrocan Roll. He had both chops and taste. Not as precise and controlled as Bruford, which could be a good thing musically.

ex audiophile

Forum Donor
plus, ain't he almost deaf?

only saw an outtake of it tbh, but god, it was almost as cringe to watch as the Rock/Smith fiasco @Oscars
I'm going with "fake" re the Smith Oscar nonsense. The Oscar ratings are so low they are pulling out Jerry Springer techniques to get someone, anyone, to watch their shitshow.

Top Bottom