• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Phase shift

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Ok,

Please do a write up for us ( no Google copy/paste) about absolute phase, minimum phase, excess phase and group delay....

But...take your time...no rush.

OP
maty

maty

Major Contributor
As I wrote hours earlier in another thread, many years ago I decided not to write texts with some substance on the open Internet again. I also decided not to participate again in the net in Spanish.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As I wrote hours earlier in another thread, many years ago I decided not to write texts with some substance on the open Internet again.

But you are OK posting stuff without substance?

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is not my problem that many are confused about the phase, mixing concepts.

No, but the fact that you are confused about the phase, mixing concepts, is your problem.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In my understanding this is a no issue. Bruno already explained this, but again. The delay is constant in time for all frequencies. Only when you plot that constant time as a phase degree x frequency that it shows as a curve. But again these are constant delay in time for all frequencies. No problem.

@maty
I think my previous post may not have been understood correctly, so I spent a few minutes creating this spreadsheet and graph to illustrate my point.

I used 3 delays as examples: 1, 3 and 6 microseconds. Notice how the time delays are fixed by frequency, but since they compared against a decreasing wave period, they are plotted as phase curves.

phase delay.jpg

Spreadsheet attached.

In other words, there is no problem with a constant, fixed delay for all frequencies. All frequencies arrive at your ear at the same time.

Attachments

• phase delay.zip
    16.5 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

In other words, the NC400 delays all frequencies 6 microseconds. This may be an issue with synching video and audio in a home theater, but for pure music listening with no video, no problem.

OP
maty

maty

Major Contributor
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/cla...ass-amplifiers-affects-sound-post5980879.html
Originally Posted by xrk971
Indeed, the folds in the human outer ear (pinna) introduces minute phase shifts of order 1-2usec. Our brain uses these phase shifts, which are asymmetric depending on orientation of sound relative to pinna (asymemtric), to determine directionality. This directionality does not depend on stereo reception. Try using one ear and see if you can hear direction from above or below or front or back. These shifts correspond to frequencies up to 300kHz. Hence, amps should be designed to be flat phase up to 300kHz or best spatial imaging.

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/cla...ass-amplifiers-affects-sound-post5981631.html

[ This subject is very interesting. Especially because we´ve devolloped our own class D amp which has 0 dgr. phase shift troughout the audioband.

"We" are four guys who decided to do some cool electronics, end will be referred to as we. We have used ICEPower 1200AS2 as one of our references in the devellopment process just as well as nCore 500.

Our experience with the pretty large phase shift compared to 0 dgr´s is, that you obtain pretty much better 3D with no phase shift.

Also the sound seems more homogeneous in some sense. It is a bit more straight forward to listen to... ]

-> https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/345330-survey-class-project.html

Last edited:

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
amps should be designed to be flat phase up to 300kHz or best spatial imaging

Utter BS unless you are a bat.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/cla...ass-amplifiers-affects-sound-post5980879.html

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/cla...ass-amplifiers-affects-sound-post5981631.html

[ This subject is very interesting. Especially because we´ve devolloped our own class D amp which has 0 dgr. phase shift troughout the audioband.

"We" are four guys who decided to do some cool electronics, end will be referred to as we. We have used ICEPower 1200AS2 as one of our references in the devellopment process just as well as nCore 500.

Our experience with the pretty large phase shift compared to 0 dgr´s is, that you obtain pretty much better 3D with no phase shift.

Also the sound seems more homogeneous in some sense. It is a bit more straight forward to listen to... ]

-> https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/345330-survey-class-project.html
OMG, you haven't even grasped the difference between phase shift being the same on both channels and different between channels.

@maty there is no phase accuracy in recordings. Think about how things are recorded.

Last edited:

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
In other words, the NC400 delays all frequencies 6 microseconds. This may be an issue with synching video and audio in a home theater, but for pure music listening with no video, no problem.
6 us is no issue at all for video sync, you might need 10 or 20 ms before it becomes noticeable.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You are right, I mixed them up, milliseconds are noticeable in synching, not microseconds.

D

Deleted member 2944

Complete inability to understand the difference between group delay and phase shift.
You guys are just wasting your breath trying to communicate. or edify, or explain, or whatever with maty on this topic.

This guy operates on multiple audio forums and has shown a complete lack of knowledge on many topics......not just this one.

Dave.

pma

Major Contributor
@maty , would this phase response of the power amplifier be good enough for you?

ampl_phase_LEA.png

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
maty

maty

Major Contributor
Maybe.

* But 40º or more (many class D amps) YES. With good acoustic recordings or with electrified instruments as guitars...

* Modern recordings, very bad produced and ALL with software instruments, voices with Autotune... NO.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
* But 40º or more (many class D amps) YES. With good acoustic recordings or with electrified instruments as guitars...
At 20 kHz? I would love to see scientific evidence for that.

Top Bottom