• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Phantom center only better!

9radua1

I agree with that, they can give a very intimate sound. But due to their bass extension and almost constant directivity to 20 kHz, .

But the S400s don’t have a particularly wide dispersion with constant directivity, do they? My thought was that it is the wide dispersion all the way up to the treble somewhere that gives that “big screen”-like sensation in a reverberant room.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But the S400s don’t have a particularly wide dispersion with constant directivity, do they? My thought was that it is the wide dispersion all the way up to the treble somewhere that gives that “big screen”-like sensation in a reverberant room.
It's pretty constant throughout the tweeter range:

Buchardt S400_Horizontal_Spectrogram_Full.png

Instead of narrowing like most speakers. That's why moving around generally doesn't cause the sound to change.

They aren't a RAAL ribbon in the width department but that goes without saying.

9radua1

It's pretty constant throughout the tweeter range:

Instead of narrowing like most speakers. That's why moving around generally doesn't cause the sound to change.

They aren't a RAAL ribbon in the width department but that goes without saying.

Right, I get your point. I think Amir’s directivity plot was a little less flattering, but it certainly has constant directivity above the xover.

Buchardt S400 bookshelf speaker horizontal directivity Audio Measurements.png

Compared to the SC307 with the AMT tweeter, the S400 is not as wide, as you say.

E5784591-ECF2-4DCD-9A56-2687079BC9EB.jpeg

My experience with these two speakers side by side is that the latter throws a bigger, “deeper” image albeit still with a precise phantom center, just not as pin-point as the S400. Both are enjoyable with natural timbre, but in different ways.

But I’m relatively new to all this, so still learning to interpret the graphs correctly :)

Newman

Major Contributor
Well you do need wide dispersion to the top octaves to maintain a good response off-axis like that and the inverted dome does help to achieve that better than any non-waveguided dome tweeter I've seen measurements for.
I haven’t seen any.
There are two Focal speakers measured here at ASR.
Hey, I forgot to mention, I just wanted to thank you for bringing this to my attention. It was a nice learning point for me. The benefits of ASR and the good people here. :)

cheers

Top Bottom