• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Peter Walker on design

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
That appears to be your stock response to everything.
If only more current designers had this level of honesty and integrity.
Keith

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
That appears to be your stock response to everything.
If only more current designers had this level of honesty and integrity.
Keith

This quote is 15, 30 years old?

So I guess wisdom is timeless and food for audio cynics who are skeptical about the next new thing du jour.

So, nothing new under the sun.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

fas42

Major Contributor
Where Peter Walker is spot on, is in saying " We listen to funny noises, funny distortions, and see whether these things are going to matter, to get a subjective assessment" - that's exactly what I do, my ears are pricked up for "funny noises, funny distortion". The difference is that I do it "deeper" into the presentation - the type of thing people call the signature of a system, its "sound", the qualities that cause them to say they like one component, and not another.

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
What has been is what will be,
and what has been done is what will be done,
and there is nothing new under the sun.

Ecclesiastes 1:4-11
450-180 BCE

I had Keith’s Peter Walker quote in mind when I asked if the quote was 15, 30 years old.

The Bible is undoubtedly older...

:)

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I really don't see anything in that quote to disagree with, or even find contentious. That's exactly the procedure I used when I was employed to design audio equipment. It had to meet a specification, and if it did that, it was passed for production. I only used listening tests as a 'Reality Check' to make sure the measurements were sensible. If something measured seemingly OK, but sounded wrong,then I'd go back and check my measurement method and make sure I hadn't missed something. Otherwise, no, listening was never part of design, more QA.

S

Top Bottom