• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pet Cloning

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Completely doable from a technology POV.

People seem to think that cloning involves more than it does (mind transfers or biological memories or other fantasy stuff).

Clones are just your genetic twin.

The hitch is you'd have to find a woman to carry the embryos.

North Korea is probably already doing it.
Not a serious issue. Carrying an embryo for other People is done regularly.
We are already at a point where we can do surpasses our ability to foresee its consequences.

Last edited:
OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Armies of Hitler. That's the first thing that's going to happen. I've seen this movie.

Oh I thought it was clones of evil dictators grown for the purposes of organ harvesting / transplants to keep their older selves alive longer at the expense of their younger cloned selves.

If Kim Jong Un starts now he should have some fresh teenage, low-rejection potential versions of his own kidneys ready by the time he needs them.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Apparently audio science knowledge is inversely proportional to biological science knowledge. :facepalm:

I of course knew all of what you said. I figure a little imagination in something unlikely to be allowed in the near future is fun.

Having a wife always 20-26 years old would require a new clone growing into the role every 6 years. And though a genetic twin they are still not going to grow into the same person even if they looked almost the same. So it wouldn't really be all that good or at least not a sure fire good. And how in the world would this sort of thing ever be allowed? Not anytime soon at least. Maybe if we have colonies in space or on Mars cloning selected people from earth would happen sooner than other scenarios.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
WHat stops Human cloning are the ethics ..If indeed it is not being done. THe issue are numerous as Human personalities and behavior are not 100 genetic. THe behavioral aspect in particular is greatly influenced by the environment (culture , nuture, experiences) . one can think about two clones one living in France and the other in the USA .. Will they behave the same way? Doubt it .. There likely will be common traits but that could be about it ...
We are nowhere near transporting entire personality and memories wholesome.. That lies in the far future, perhaps not ever.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I of course knew all of what you said. I figure a little imagination in something unlikely to be allowed in the near future is fun.

Having a wife always 20-26 years old would require a new clone growing into the role every 6 years. And though a genetic twin they are still not going to grow into the same person even if they looked almost the same. So it wouldn't really be all that good or at least not a sure fire good. And how in the world would this sort of thing ever be allowed? Not anytime soon at least. Maybe if we have colonies in space or on Mars cloning selected people from earth would happen sooner than other scenarios.

I think it has pretty interesting implications for things like race horses.

Will we get a perpetual series of Seabiscuit (or whoever is the best horse these days) clones?

And if there is a rule against it, will they require DNA tests to prove it's not a clone horse?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Wombat

Master Contributor
Hugh was there first with Playboy Pets(Bunnies):

w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
While the traits that are purely physiological may be preserved in cloning the environmental factors that lead to personality hence to performance at the end, may be more difficult to “clone”. Things like trainer emotional reports, horse to people relationship, etc all contribute to their performance. How would they replicate those? They can expect at least a good physical canvas.
We*re playing with fire o_O

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
While the traits that are purely physiological may be preserved in cloning the environmental factors that lead to personality hence to performance at the end, may be more difficult to “clone”. Things like trainer emotional reports, horse to people relationship, etc all contribute to their performance. How would they replicate those? They can expect at least a good physical canvas.
We*re playing with fire o_O

Humans have advanced by far the most since they started playing with fire. After such success do you suddenly propose a change of tactics? That seems an unwise counsel. Surely you know the personality is inextricably interwoven and informed by physical characteristics.

Odd circumstance let me spend an entire day with a playmate of the year when I was 18. It was quite something. They are more beautiful in person than any image can convey. And I didn't know that is what she was until the last few minutes of that day.

Last edited:

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The ethics of clonIng Humans May be inextricable but if they can do a cat... how far can it be for a Human?

Just about 60 years ago, September 12, 1958, Jack Kilby demonstrated the first working IC. Today we may have an Artificial Intelligence problem. I mention this to illustrate how quickly technology is evolving. To pull a number out of my you-know-what, I'd guess that within a 100 yrs we'll have the first human clones. At any rate I hope I'm dead before it happens!

Veri

Master Contributor
Just about 60 years ago, September 12, 1958, Jack Kilby demonstrated the first working IC. Today we may have an Artificial Intelligence problem. I mention this to illustrate how quickly technology is evolving. To pull a number out of my you-know-what, I'd guess that within a 100 yrs we'll have the first human clones. At any rate I hope I'm dead before it happens!
The first human clones might not prove to be an improvement, but it surely will be progress.

:D

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The first human clones might not prove to be an improvement, but it surely will be progress.

:D

Glad to see you're catching on to the difference between the two!

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Humans have advanced by far the most since they started playing with fire. After such success do you suddenly propose a change of tactics? That seems an unwise counsel. Surely you know the personality is inextricably interwoven and informed by physical characteristics.

<snip>

The Pitcher will go to the fire once too often ...

urfaust

Personally the most amazing would be to see Neanderthal/Denisovan or a good old prairy late paleolithic CroMagnon being brought back to life. Neanderthal is very much possible and discussed at this point, and i wouldn't bet my arm it isn't a thing right now in some corners of the world where ethic has been ignored for a minute, you basically just need a very adventurous female carrier.

For pets i think it's just sad, what value your pet is gonna have to you if you can replace it anytime you want, even if it has a disease or got hit by a car.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Personally the most amazing would be to see Neanderthal/Denisovan or a good old prairy late paleolithic CroMagnon being brought back to life. Neanderthal is very much possible and discussed at this point, and i wouldn't bet my arm it isn't a thing right now in some corners of the world where ethic has been ignored for a minute, you basically just need a very adventurous female carrier.

For pets i think it's just sad, what value your pet is gonna have to you if you can replace it anytime you want, even if it has a disease or got hit by a car.

I'm more concerned about what the egg donor dogs/cats are going through....sucking eggs out of humans/animals isn't fun.

Veri

Master Contributor

Damn, I hadn't considered that. Would make for quite the movie plot, too.

urfaust

Damn, I hadn't considered that. Would make for quite the movie plot, too.
Neanderthal vs Vegan III. YES

Neanderthals are very interesting and not the primitive cavemen we once thought of them, huge brains and subtle elements of culture, they likely have been wiped out only because of an overwhelming spurse of sapiens in the pleistocene but if they were to come back to the world now, who knows what would happen, they could take back the world! Although all Eurasians still carry low level of Neanderthal genes, 2/3% so interbreeding had occured already.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Neanderthal vs Vegan III. YES

Neanderthals are very interesting and not the primitive cavemen we once thought of them, huge brains and subtle elements of culture, they likely have been wiped out only because of an overwhelming spurse of sapiens in the pleistocene but if they were to come back to the world now, who knows what would happen, they could take back the world! Although all Eurasians still carry low level of Neanderthal genes, 2/3% so interbreeding had occured already.

Adapted to pleistocene = taking over the world with global warming in play?

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Being able to clone our bodies but maybe not the brain or just enough brain to run the organs so we have a spare waiting in the wings.

I’m of the opinion we should just get on with it, over the millennia we’ve done far worse than clone a few humans.

Top Bottom