• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pet Cloning

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, you can buy now, although prices are pretty high ($25k), but I'm sure they'll come down.
Yeah, but that is for a cat. For a proper pet (like a dog) it is $50k. I had a dog almost exactly like the one on the website. Almost could be a picture of him. He was quite the special dog. I would have paid for a clone. But $50k is on the steep side for me. Were I a very wealthy person I'd pay it I suppose. I might pay $2500 as it is.

I think they can charge higher prices once they can clone women, and we can replenish our favorites as needed so they are always between 20 and 26 years old. Not exactly being sexist here, but I'm a man. I'm sure woman would have the same desire for their favorite men.

Grave

Yeah, but that is for a cat. For a proper pet (like a dog) it is $50k. I had a dog almost exactly like the one on the website. Almost could be a picture of him. He was quite the special dog. I would have paid for a clone. But $50k is on the steep side for me. Were I a very wealthy person I'd pay it I suppose. I might pay $2500 as it is.

I think they can charge higher prices once they can clone women, and we can replenish our favorites as needed so they are always between 20 and 26 years old. Not exactly being sexist here, but I'm a man. I'm sure woman would have the same desire for their favorite men.

lmao

FWIR human cloning is not possible.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Last edited:

Grave

Yes, I have probably seen every single cheesy sci-fi movie.

Recently Altered Carbon had clones in it and that series was awesome.

IIRC human cloning is much harder than cloning animals.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

The ethics of clonIng Humans May be inextricable but if they can do a cat... how far can it be for a Human?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

While those were cloned bodies in Altered Carbon it was a little different. They had managed to put full personalities in a man-made chip which plugged into the base of the brain. So someone could be themselves in several different bodies. If you've read the book, part of the reason was transporting full human bodies across the expanse of space was very expensive. So they cast the data from one planet to another which made up that person. It also let that person have backups in case their body died. And to renew the bodies periodically.

Of course I'm sure the best bodies would cost the most.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
The ethics of clonIng Humans May be inextricable but if they can do a cat... how far can it be for a Human?

Completely doable from a technology POV.

People seem to think that cloning involves more than it does (mind transfers or biological memories or other fantasy stuff).

Clones are just your genetic twin.

The hitch is you'd have to find a woman to carry the embryos.

North Korea is probably already doing it.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

But making intelligent, talking apes is easy because it happened in Planet of the Apes?

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
For those who seem fuzzy on the science:

These cloned pet cats, dogs, and horses are born from a mommy cat, dog, or horse. They're not grown in a tank or vat.

The mommy animal is impregnated via IVF, just like human women undergoing fertility treatments. The difference is that instead of fertilizing the egg with sperm, and creating a new genetic combination, the genetic material comes from the donor animal. It is the biological equivalent of a twin.

They start off life as kittens, puppies, and colts.

They grow up at normal growth rates like any other kitten, puppy, or colt.

They're not genetically engineered, they don't have mutant powers, they're not immortal, and they're not hooked up to a machine to transfer the consciousness of your old dying pet into the new kitten's or puppy's brain.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
P.S., they're trying to do something similar by putting wooly mammoth DNA into an elephant embryo and having an elephant give birth to it:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/sc...ntists-are-close-to-cloning-a-woolly-mammoth/

If they can pull off cloning an extinct mammal, using frozen DNA, in a similar-but-not-identical living species, doing a human is trivially easy in comparison.

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fjimdobson%2Ffiles%2F2018%2F02%2F2-14-2018-11-35-56-AM.jpg

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They're not genetically engineered, they don't have mutant powers, they're not immortal, and they're not hooked up to a machine to transfer the consciousness of your old dying pet into the new kitten's or puppy's brain.

It is sad, but hilarious that this needs to be mentioned...

Grave

Apparently audio science knowledge is inversely proportional to biological science knowledge. :facepalm:

I was biology minor, so no.

Wikipedia says that apes were cloned this year, wow, I guess we are close, that's scary.

Oh great, Jurassic park is coming true as well.

Top Bottom