• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Perspective Change

OP
concorde1

concorde1

The Audeze and Fostex have excellent distortion performance from Tylls measurements.

I agree Tyll's LCD-2F measurement looks like low distortion, but the TH900 one looks like it has bad distortion in the bass:
stereophile.com/images/ifmeasure/FostexTH900mk2.pdf

Do you agree? I'm interested in why you say the TH900 has excellent distortion performance.

Also the following shows Klipsch HP-3 has good distortion performance I think?

soundstagenetwork.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1837:klipsch-heritage-hp-3-headphones&catid=263&Itemid=203

Last edited:

Maki

I agree Tyll's LCD-2F measurement looks like low distortion, but the TH900 one looks like it has bad distortion in the bass:
stereophile.com/images/ifmeasure/FostexTH900mk2.pdf

Do you agree? I'm interested in why you say the TH900 has excellent distortion performance.

Also the following shows Klipsch HP-3 has good distortion performance I think?

soundstagenetwork.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1837:klipsch-heritage-hp-3-headphones&catid=263&Itemid=203
Humans generally aren't as sensitive to distortion in the bass. Personally I think it's due to the baffle flexing which is a pretty fun effect since it vibrates the whole cup slightly with heavy bass boost.

OP
concorde1

concorde1

Humans generally aren't as sensitive to distortion in the bass.
To me it also looks like Tyll's TH900MK2 measurement is inaccurate; it's not channel or gain consistent. Right channel is noisier in bass for both 90dB and 100dB, which makes no sense to me, and the green line is crazy in the bass.

But I'll keep the TH900 as, ignoring the weird noise, it looks like it measures well.

EDIT: there is disagreement in distortion between:
stereophile.com/images/ifmeasure/AKGK812SN001130.pdf
and
diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/akg/k812/

The first shows lots of distortion between 1KHz and 3KHz; the latter doesn't show this but shows distortion instead at 4KHz.

Last edited:
OP
concorde1

concorde1

Interestingly, I'm gravitating back towards my headphones not being EQ'd. However to me this means I maybe don't like the Harman Curve, not that I don't like neutral/accurate sound - maybe Harman is not neutral for me.

I'm still objective, but for headphones I feel it could be different to speakers and electronics (amps etc); FR of headphones seems to be subjective for me as there is no real "neutral" for them - other than I should prefer lowest distortion and a favourable FR.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
To me it also looks like Tyll's TH900MK2 measurement is inaccurate; it's not channel or gain consistent. Right channel is noisier in bass for both 90dB and 100dB, which makes no sense to me, and the green line is crazy in the bass.

But I'll keep the TH900 as, ignoring the weird noise, it looks like it measures well.

EDIT: there is disagreement in distortion between:
stereophile.com/images/ifmeasure/AKGK812SN001130.pdf
and
diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/akg/k812/

The first shows lots of distortion between 1KHz and 3KHz; the latter doesn't show this but shows distortion instead at 4KHz.

unit to unit variance. Both show higher than usual distortion in the upper mids range (where hearing is most sensitive) at 90dB SPL already.

Top Bottom