• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Perspective Change

Maki

I had assumed the LCD-2 couldn't be EQ'd because the LCD-X review here didn't even recommend LCD-X with EQ, and the LCD-X are even more expensive.
Only a week ago I had wanted to get an LCD-3F - would that be a waste of money over the LCD-2F? Of course, with either 2F or 3F, I would EQ them. I do like the look/build of the 3F. Excuse my ignorance.

My reason for selling all this was so I could buy one cheap-ish but well measuring headphone, then put the other proceeds towards my speaker system. But I must say I like the aesthetics of my LCD-2 / TH900.
From Amir's review:

"Fortunately equalization is very effective and completely transforms this headphone. Combined with extreme power handling, efficiency and super low distortion, this becomes one nice headphone once signal processing is applied."

From what I read he doesn't recommend it because the FR is so broken out of the box - not that it couldn't be fixed with EQ.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend people go out and buy one either, but seeing as you already have a LCD2 it won't be a problem to reap the benefits of EQ. If something like frequency response pre-EQ matters to you, I'd avoid all Audezes. I can't comment on the value proposition but you save more money in the long run buying fewer headphones, since each time you buy you're taking a bath on the resale value.

OP
concorde1

concorde1

EQ Attempt 1 TH900.jpg

I tried the EQ suggested for TH900 at dropbox.com/s/493ho2z9dtsdoiw/Fostex TH900mk2.pdf?dl=0

The resulting sound reminds me a bit of when I was gifted an AKG N60NC and tried it. I didn't like that headphone at the time and I don't like this EQ too much now. To me now, it sounds slightly irritating - and for want of a better word, soulless. Too much bass also. I'm not 100% sure I executed the EQ correctly in Peace. The EQ is meant to target the Harman 2018 curve.

Despite this, it does sound more "balanced" than raw TH900. I think it's more listenable.

Maki

View attachment 118447
I tried the EQ suggested for TH900 at dropbox.com/s/493ho2z9dtsdoiw/Fostex TH900mk2.pdf?dl=0

The resulting sound reminds me a bit of when I was gifted an AKG N60NC and tried it. I didn't like that headphone at the time and I don't like this EQ too much now. To me now, it sounds slightly irritating - and for want of a better word, soulless. Too much bass also. I'm not 100% sure I executed the EQ correctly in Peace. The EQ is meant to target the Harman 2018 curve.

Despite this, it does sound more "balanced" than raw TH900. I think it's more listenable.

Give this a try, it's my personal preset (note my model is a white TH900) tweaked from Oratory's and others:
1615871300915.png

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had assumed the LCD-2 couldn't be EQ'd because the LCD-X review here didn't even recommend LCD-X with EQ, and the LCD-X are even more expensive.

The LCD-X is easily the worst of their main line. It can be improved with EQ, but it has that weird cancellation dip at 4khz which can't be fixed with simple EQ.

With the A90's power and the LCD-2s crazy power handling you can easily EQ it to whatever target curve you want.

OP
concorde1

concorde1

According to github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/blob/master/results/RANKING.md
(which seems to be scoring Harmancurve-EQ'd headphones I believe?)
it seems I should just get the best built high scoring headphone, and EQ it.
Take the HD 600 for example: when EQ'd it's very close to target apparently, but what about other performance (distortion / whatever else)?

My concern is, for example, Philips Fidelio X2 gets a score of 84 here. BUT the review here states that there is high distortion. So I need to find something that scores well on the link above, but is measures well in other areas.

EDIT: Actually upon looking again, the scores seem to be for raw headphones, non-equalized.

Last edited:
OP
concorde1

concorde1

I'm baffled as to what to do. I'd prefer to have one cheap-ish headphone than keep TH900 and LCD-2. But if TH900 and LCD-2 have exceptionally low distortion (better than any cheap-ish headphones like Sennheiser 560s 600 650 or AKG K371 etc ???) and only need correction in frequency response, then maybe I will keep them . . .

Tks

Major Contributor
The LCD-2's .. If you have no comfort issues, call it a day and just keep them. EQ corrections are simple, and the headphone doesn't really distort much if other Audeze's are anything to go by. They're great headphones overall for sound quality last I heard them especially with EQ.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I must say I was alarmed to see the LSR708 scores lower than the LSR308.
The preference rating is meant for far-field listening. As such, for near-field usage it is not as accurate. The 708 also has much lower bass distortion.

However, looking at the Spin’s, I would say that tonally the 308 is better.

308P MKII:
index.php

708:
index.php

Last edited:
OP
concorde1

concorde1

The LCD-2's .. If you have no comfort issues, call it a day
Yeah I had compared the EQ'd TH900 with EQ'd LCD-2. The LCD-2 sounds really great with EQ. I think I will just keep the LCD-2F.
The preference rating is meant for far-field listening. As such, for near-field usage it is not as accurate.
I see. Anyway I'm going to save for 2 BMR Philharmonitors.

OP
concorde1

concorde1

The Audeze and Fostex have excellent distortion performance from Tylls measurements.
Did the Oppo PM-1 show similarly excellent distortion performance? Tyll reviewed it I recall. I'm thinking of keeping TH900 and ditching LCD-2 for another open planar headphone. I would take the risk of PM-1 failing. Only problem is Oratory1990 hasn't made an preset for PM-1.

By the way, my first ever headphone was the Oppo PM-3, but I couldn't stand it because of hearing my heartbeat and complete seal. But it was built very nicely.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 118447

You may need to adjust the preamp gain at least -6dB press on the green curve icon see if anything sticks out above the 0dB line you do not want that ad some small margin if you want 0.2dB-3dB depending on your take on intersample overs .

Is the output volume really 14% in windows ? that's not much ? Is not preferable to lower gain downstreams so that you can use the upper range of windows volume or stick it to 100% and use the volume control elsewhere .

OP
concorde1

concorde1

I fixed it up. It sounds much better! A quick first impression is, it's quite good actually.
It's on -5.4 as on Oratory1990 page. I think I followed everything right. It's not clipping. The reason I'm using Windows volume is my new A90 hasn't arrived yet.
temp.jpg

For some reason I enjoy the EQ'd LCD-2F more, I suppose it's just that it's open back. The reason I'm thinking of PM-1 is, in the LCD-2F apparently the wood rings can crack over time.

EDIT: I also wonder if that 49 Hz (band 2 lower than band 1 in Hz??) is a mistake by Oratory1990, maybe that's why it sounds a bit different . . .

Maki

Did the Oppo PM-1 show similarly excellent distortion performance? Tyll reviewed it I recall. I'm thinking of keeping TH900 and ditching LCD-2 for another open planar headphone. I would take the risk of PM-1 failing. Only problem is Oratory1990 hasn't made an preset for PM-1.

By the way, my first ever headphone was the Oppo PM-3, but I couldn't stand it because of hearing my heartbeat and complete seal. But it was built very nicely.
https://www.stereophile.com/content/innerfidelity-headphone-measurements

Weird distortion spike in the mids but otherwise not bad. PM-3 was also one of my first headphones, I regret selling them because good condition ones are now unobtanium.

Edit: Or not, guess I'm buying a pair.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's on -5.4 as on Oratory1990 page. I think I followed everything right. It's not clipping. The reason I'm using Windows volume is my new A90 hasn't arrived yet.
View attachment 118882
For some reason I enjoy the EQ'd LCD-2F more, I suppose it's just that it's open back. The reason I'm thinking of PM-1 is, in the LCD-2F apparently the wood rings can crack over time.

Your good :) it does not have to be exactly -5.4 just not less than that, ie -6 is ok -5 is not .
Good luck with the A90 when it arrives.

Did not realize you already changed preamp gain since the first pic did not show it

OP
concorde1

concorde1

Weird distortion spike in the mids but otherwise not bad.
Thanks for the link! Looks like LCD-2F is better. I'll say bye to PM-1.
Your good :) it does not have to be exactly -5.4 just not less than that, ie -6 is ok -5 is not .
In case you missed:
EDIT: I also wonder if that 49 Hz (band 2 lower than band 1 in Hz??) is a mistake by Oratory1990, maybe that's why it sounds a bit different . . .
49 Hz is shown here as the second band: dropbox.com/s/493ho2z9dtsdoiw/Fostex%20TH900mk2.pdf?dl=0

EDIT: Also the TH900 seems to have distortion in the bass, according to Tyll's measurement.

EDIT2: Regarding stereophile.com/images/ifmeasure/AudezeLCD2sn5423021Fazer.pdf
do those spikes at about 20Hz and 200Hz and 2KHz represent real distortion? They are there for a lot of headphones, but not, for instance, on Mr Speakers Ether Flow -- stereophile.com/images/ifmeasure/MrSpeakersEtherFlow.pdf

Last edited:
OP
concorde1

concorde1

I'm pretty spontaneous and keep changing my mind. At this point I'm selling X2HR, T50RPMK3, and LCD-2F.
Keeping TH900MK2, HP-3 and going to buy an LCD-3F.

. . . Unless there is reasoning not to do this.

This has eventuated with passing of honeymoon phase with Harman curve. It seems to me with speakers it's all about ruler flat, but headphones there's more subjectivity as to what sounds right.

As to the 49 Hz thing for TH900, that's been cleared up as being fine.

OP
concorde1

concorde1

I found EQ presets for Klipsch HP-3.

github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results/crinacle/gras_43ag-7_harman_over-ear_2018/Klipsch%20Heritage%20HP-3

github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results/referenceaudioanalyzer/referenceaudioanalyzer_hdm-x_harman_over-ear_2018/Klipsch%20HP3

I don't know what the target is for either of them, but it doesn't look like Harman 2018. I therefore asked oratory1990 if he would do presets for the HP-3 and LCD-3F.

The only distortion measurements I could find for HP-3 are at:

soundstagenetwork.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1837:klipsch-heritage-hp-3-headphones&catid=263&Itemid=203

It seems they're good except in the lower bass, like the TH900

Last edited:
Top Bottom