• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Perspective Change

concorde1

In the last few days I've completely changed my paradigm on audio. Now I only believe in good measurements due to well engineered products, because music reproduction isn't making music, it's transmitting what's already in music.

Therefore I'm selling my Audio-GD amp, Crown amp, Audeze LCD-2, Klipsch HP-3, Fostex T50RP mk3, Philips Fidelio X2 - and maybe even my Fostex TH900 mk2.

Crazy, maybe. But I want to fund two mono Hypex NC400 kits, and a new set of BMR Philharmonitor, or Revel of some sort, and an excellently measuring headphone in the roughly 1000 USD range.

I'm keeping my JBL Studio 530 for now. I've bought a Topping D90 and A90.

I have high hopes BMR Philharmonitor would score even higher here than the "Affordable Accuracy Monitor", and I'm interested in the Oppo PM-1 headphone, but I won't buy the latter unless it's confirmed to measure well.

I must say I was alarmed to see the LSR708 scores lower than the LSR308.

ishmeister

I'm interested in the Oppo PM-1 headphone
Did you know that Oppo ceased developing hifi audio products about 3 years ago? So beware that you might not be able to get support or replacement original accessories. If a driver dies for example, then presumably you've had it and the PM-1 is still quite expensive second hand.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What's wrong with the Crown amp and Fostex T50RP IIIs? Once eq'd, my T50RP IIs conformed nicely to the Harman target response though I had to ditch the stock, too-shallow ear pads as they didn't form a good seal. Don't be in a hurry to spend big bucks on headphones, because sometimes you spend more and get less.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In the last few days I've completely changed my paradigm on audio. Now I only believe in good measurements due to well engineered products, because music reproduction isn't making music, it's transmitting what's already in music.

Therefore I'm selling my Audio-GD amp, Crown amp, Audeze LCD-2, Klipsch HP-3, Fostex T50RP mk3, Philips Fidelio X2 - and maybe even my Fostex TH900 mk2.

Crazy, maybe. But I want to fund two mono Hypex NC400 kits, and a new set of BMR Philharmonitor, or Revel of some sort, and an excellently measuring headphone in the roughly 1000 USD range.

I have high hopes BMR Philharmonitor would score even higher here than the "Affordable Accuracy Monitor", and I'm interested in the Oppo PM-1 headphone, but I won't buy the latter unless it's confirmed to measure well.

Yep, I too came to the same realization.

OP
concorde1

concorde1

What's wrong with the Crown amp and Fostex T50RP IIIs?
Crown I have already sold and it measured badly here.
Fostex T50RP mk3, well I don't know. My subjective impression is it is slightly better than the TH900 actually, but still not good.
Oh I'm not in a hurry to spend *a lot* on headphones (I already fell into that trap as can see above)!

I observe, according to the Oratory1990 measurements, that Audeze LCD-2 and Klipsch HP-3 are way off Harman 2018. I'm no expert at reading these graphs, but I observe the AKG K371 fits nicely apart from 4 KHz and 9 KHz dips.

Last edited:

LightninBoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Now I only believe in good measurements due to well engineered products, because music reproduction isn't making music, it's transmitting what's already in music.

This is a nice succinct contrast between the camps, but like many simplifications it falls apart with deeper inspection. I think its important to point out that the objectivist side doesn't discount the validity in shaping the music to ones personal preference. Only that there are more effective and cheaper ways to do so than swapping cables, opamp rolling, tube rolling, and spending tens of thousands of dollars on solved audio problems.

OP
concorde1

concorde1

Well I'm thinking of getting some K371's. But I'm concerned with it being closed, that it will seal off sound too much from outside, leading to 2 things I don't like: not hearing calls or emergencies etc; and hearing my own heartbeat in the headphone.

Then there's the HD 650, which I could bass boost, but it's well over double the price, and I don't know how to EQ (Windows 10 computer based system). Obviously I could use Foobar2000, but I want the EQ to apply to all applications, not just my music.

EDIT: Also the HD 560s.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Then there's the HD 650, which I could bass boost, but it's well over double the price, and I don't know how to EQ (Windows 10 computer based system). Obviously I could use Foobar2000, but I want the EQ to apply to all applications, not just my music.
I use a open back Sennheiser that is well vented, comfortable, I can hear a knock on the door and it cranks too. HD 598SR. I think Sennheiser makes a similar design in the 560S and the 599. What motherboard are you running? Some motherboards come with system wide EQ as optional software.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmmz. ASUS does not cooperate when searching for drivers and <.pdf> Is that a Realtek audio setup? and maybe it uses Sonic Studio?

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The correlation between price and performance is painfully weak. One need look no further than the $9 Sony headphone that seems to better 80% of headphones observed, not just at any price, but regardless of price.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So if you already have Realtek installed and there is no EQ to be found try this. It's for ASUS motherboards with Realtek drivers. There's a chance it might install to your motherboard.

Maki

The Audeze and Fostex have excellent distortion performance from Tylls measurements. No need to sell those and purchase something else when you can just use EQ to bring them closer to whatever target you're interested in.

OP
concorde1

concorde1

The Audeze and Fostex have excellent distortion performance from Tylls measurements. No need to sell those and purchase something else when you can just use EQ to bring them closer to whatever target you're interested in.
I see. Do you mean both Fostex? (TH900 and T50RP mk3).

OP
concorde1

concorde1

I had assumed the LCD-2 couldn't be EQ'd because the LCD-X review here didn't even recommend LCD-X with EQ, and the LCD-X are even more expensive.
Only a week ago I had wanted to get an LCD-3F - would that be a waste of money over the LCD-2F? Of course, with either 2F or 3F, I would EQ them. I do like the look/build of the 3F. Excuse my ignorance.
No need to sell those and purchase something else when you can just use EQ to bring them closer to whatever target you're interested in.
My reason for selling all this was so I could buy one cheap-ish but well measuring headphone, then put the other proceeds towards my speaker system. But I must say I like the aesthetics of my LCD-2 / TH900.

Top Bottom