• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Persian carpets: what type?

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
@fineMen If you're measuring right next to the rug you aren't representing the energy distribution that would be present at the height of your ears.

A rug, or any absorber, is a tone control of sorts because it dampens HF energy instead of redirecting it back into the room. They are effective there because of the large surface area relative to other room surfaces.

If someone is determined to absorb floor reflections, they can buy acoustic carpet tiles and put the rug of their choice on top.

For example: https://www.pyroteknc.com/dmsdocument/64/SILENTSTEP-PREMIUM-TDS-412IP.pdf

fineMen

Major Contributor
@fineMen If you're measuring right next to the rug you aren't representing the energy distribution that would be present at the height of your ears.

A rug, or any absorber, is a tone control of sorts ...
Yo, I'm thinking of a man of style and perspicuity. For me it doesn't make to much sense to spend on audio gear, while neglecting significant other perspectives. Many of ourselves are neither blind nor numb themselves.

The tone control thing I don't get. All technical facilities are designed with tolerances, because there is no ideal world. Do it to tight, and in increasing numbers things won't work anymore. As far as I'm concerned, I would rather sacrifice half a dB or so, but at least solve the prob of echoes. I'm also under the impression, that gear tagged as "audio" doesn't have to be really specific. A carpet is a carpet in the end.

That brings Genesis' "Carpet Crawlers" to mind. A piece so much blurred, intentionally, that with more 'revealing' equipment it only gets more blurred. Funny! Confirmed by many wishful visitors in the last months. (Carpet was out due to summer.) Like: "Wow, never heard that detail (singer is not just PG, but all the band, what a revelation), but the heck it's so muddy!"

I think You should take some measurements--for the size, don't chose to big. To big is lame always.

Ehm, "energy" and tolerance. You won't be that discerning, if You knew how far music is bent and pressed into a commercial format.

Genesis, Chamber Of 32 Doors (orig. 1974, very nice dynamics, bearably mild stereo rendition), elevated presence/low treble as usual with 'remastered', let alone dymamic expander, and some hefty basstone from a five string which will kill (hope so) all those little lifestyle crappy sub-shoe-box masterpieces, sorry. Measured in-room, comments?
32.jpg

For comparison Victor Wooten 2016, a genius bass player in his own right. Sounds quite hefty, but is adopted to lifestyle. Spared 20 (!!) dB of bass capabiliy--for a bass player's solo recording. In-room and, alas, representative.
1635978447877.png

Last edited:
OP
ripmixburn

ripmixburn

Forum Donor
Update, I found a great Persian rug at a nearby store.

Some information on the type:

It is quite heavy, and weighs 14oz per square foot. I think the heaviest kind (Bijar) are only 16oz/sqft so pretty close.

Definitely noticed an improvement in reduced reverberance in the room, just need to figure out diffusion for the pitched roof now. Perhaps rear wall too.

If you are interested in going down the rabbit hole, this dealer in Germany has an incredible collection that is well organized. https://www.naintrading.co.uk/oriental-carpets/overview/

Attachments

• IMG_2910.jpeg
    IMG_2910.jpeg
    290.5 KB · Views: 103

Valhalla

Worth going to Iran if you want to buy Persian carpet. Amazing country.
You'd appreciate not living in hellhole like Iran, if you will... it's like having a bomb in the size of King Kong ticking in your head and no amount of painkiller would disable it so, you have to look to buy more sand for your hourglass and no bozo in the universe is selling any... Just to say the least... ;-|

Top Bottom