• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Perlisten speakers

hmt

And why would someone use this speaker without a crossover? Imo 12 db per octave is too shallow. One would have to use asymmetric crossovers to achieve 24 db per octave on both sides as a THX AVR offers. Then again, there are others speakers designed like this. For example the Arendals.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok I am not a home theater person. For music, do you feel 80 Hz is much better than 60Hz, 70Hz, 90Hz?
I personally won’t use a subwoofer for music.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
you know what really pushed it over the top for me? The F3 is almost at 80Hz. that means integration with subwoofers would be a breeze even without a high-pass filter.

This is the first speaker in my life that i have seen that is optimally designed for an 80Hz crossover with a subwoofer.
Ehm no. Using a standard crossover means that the sat should go one octave lower because the standard crossover is not designed for such a FR. It would lead to a dip at 80 Hz and lower. Yes, you could omit the crossover but then the sat is fed with low bass it cannot handle and the resulting IMD in the mids is not reduced (which IME is the biggest advantage using a sub). What you would need is a special designed crossover which has a 4th order lowpass for the sub and a 2nd order highpass for the sat (which has the other 2nd order highpass built in).

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ehm no. Using a standard crossover means that the sat should go one octave lower because the standard crossover is not designed for such a FR. It would lead to a dip at 80 Hz and lower. Yes, you could omit the crossover but then the sat is fed with low bass it cannot handle and the resulting IMD in the mids is not reduced (which IME is the biggest advantage using a sub). What you would need is a special designed crossover which has a 4th order lowpass for the sub and a 2nd order highpass for the sat (which has the other 2nd order highpass built in).

The idea is high-passing with a BW 12dB/Oct and low passing with a LR 24dB/Oct achieving a flat anechoic response.

This speaker makes it possible to do this at exactly 80Hz.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Also this design is 3-way, IMD is already minimised. I would feel okay running it without a high-pass.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The idea is high-passing with a BW 12dB/Oct and low passing with a LR 24dB/Oct achieving a flat anechoic response.

This speaker makes it possible to do this at exactly 80Hz.
This is as I wrote, and should work.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Also this design is 3-way, IMD is already minimised. I would feel okay running it without a high-pass.
Well, when I added a sub to my 3-ways (K&H O300D, sealed 8"/3"/1" crossed at 650 Hz and 2.x kHz) the lower mids got better (subjectively).

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I personally won’t use a subwoofer for music.

I held this same view for a long time. I learned it is possible to use one more subwoofers to simply smooth out the bass response in the room. Perhaps deepen it, but not in a way that significantly changes the spectral balance of the music. It takes some effort, some means of measuring in-room response (which I suspect you have already), and parametric equalization capabilities, but the results can be quite satisfying. Unless you have a huge room, even two 12" sealed subwoofers properly placed and equalized can make a substantial improvement, unless you are lucky enough to get smooth bass response at your listening seat with just L/R speakers.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I held this same view for a long time. I learned it is possible to use one more subwoofers to simply smooth out the bass response in the room. Perhaps deepen it, but not in a way that significantly changes the spectral balance of the music. It takes some effort, some means of measuring in-room response (which I suspect you have already), and parametric equalization capabilities, but the results can be quite satisfying. Unless you have a huge room, even two 12" sealed subwoofers properly placed and equalized can make a substantial improvement, unless you are lucky enough to get smooth bass response at your listening seat with just L/R speakers.
I use 3-way speakers that generates FR down to 30Hz in my music room at levels loud enough for me. There are very few musical pieces or tracks that go below 30Hz that I listen to. Even EDM wouldn’t need lower as they are produced for clubs where the FR rarely goes below 40Hz.

However, I also have a separate home theatre and I use satellites speakers and multiple subwoofers there. In films the effect track requires lower than 30Hz response.

BenB

Interestingly, this does NOT show the same abrupt change (narrowing) in horizontal dispersion that the S7T does. There is a slight blooming at 3 kHz, but nothing too major. These measurements look great to me. I'm not sure what explains the discrepancy. Of course the S7T wont have the bit of wonkiness in the vertical polar at 1 kHz, and will maintain narrow dispersion lower in frequency, but this looks like a nice addition to their line.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It turns out it's the best bookshelf speaker in the world objectively.

The top end directivity may be a little wider (haven't compared directly) but to me the LW response doesn't look much much different from the old KEF Reference 201/2: super flat and a little tipped up. That's a fine target to aim at - the coax may be a couple generations behind, but I really liked those speakers and if I could've afforded them when new I would have bought three - and still have them.

JRS

Major Contributor
I suppose if you don't mind it bottoming out playing Dire Straits. Of course, 100dB at 3.5m seems entirely reasonable to me. Now if I do the math right, that's about 111.6dB at 1m. Not too shabby. Wonder what the Directiva 1 can do?
From Erin's review.
  • In terms of output, I managed to get these speakers to approximately 100dB at about 3.5 meters listening distance, playing full range (without a high-pass crossover). Above this output level, however, the woofer would “pop”. Notably, I heard this with Dire Straits’ “Money For Nothin”. A proper high-pass filter (when paired with subs) eliminates this and allows for additional output.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Now if I do the math right, that's about 111.6dB at 1m.

It's 110.9dB, though of course, speakers never fall off by 6dB/DD in room. It's more like 4ish but varies significantly based on room dimensions, so you can't really use that number for much other than comparing to other Erin reviews. Considering two speakers playing, ~7" woofer size, the ":requires a sub" bass response on the S4b, and the fact the R3 did 95dB @ 4m in Erin's room with more lower bass, this seems totally normal to me and if anything a little weak for the price.

JRS

Major Contributor
It's 110.9dB, though of course, speakers never fall off by 6dB/DD in room. It's more like 4ish but varies significantly based on room dimensions, so you can't really use that number for much other than comparing to other Erin reviews. Considering two speakers playing, ~7" woofer size, the ":requires a sub" bass response on the S4b, and the fact the R3 did 95dB @ 4m in Erin's room with more lower bass, this seems totally normal to me and if anything a little weak for the price.
Which is what I was hinting at--certainly capable for a little guy, but the Directiva does 95+12, for what did I read 1500 in parts, I think I'd trade the 4 dB, take the 6 grand and do a Euro vacation--say Octoberfest or something. It's obviously a capable speaker, but I'm remaining just a tad skeptical as to whether this is a masterfully engineered 2 way specimen as opposed to ground breaking and will crush all competitors into a pitiful puddle of humiliation. On second thought, I might be tempted to get a second pair of Purifi's and maybe an MTM to provide some "steering" call it good, and shorten my stay in Munich by a couple of days. Sure is fun watching how damn good speakers are getting.

Top Bottom