• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Perlisten speakers

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
8k is insane for a bookshelf, regardless of how good you make the drivers its still not going to compare to even cheaper large floorstanders in several areas.
Dutch and Dutch would like a word.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The (TPCD) TexTreme carbon fiber used in our midrange drive units is also the key to the performance of our woofers, resulting in lighter-than-air dynamics and the impact you expect in a flagship Speaker that can play down to 20Hz in-room.

Frequency Response80-20kHz

20Hz or 80Hz? Which one is true?

However, I liked the phrase “lighter-than-air dynamics”. Give that marketing guy a pay rise :p

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I want some with Carbotanium

However, I liked the phrase “lighter-than-air dynamics”. Give that marketing guy a pay rise :p

Helium

Descartes

Major Contributor
Credibility hazz as just been destroyed by the marketing BS! Looking forward to seeing the review, any ETA?

Sugarbubble

Made in China right? Oh well, let’s help the economy of the only nation he’ll bent on The total subjugation of its people. Wait, wait.. there is also NK

Haint

With all the other companies having price increases, I emailed Perlisten to verify. The updated MSRP (as of August 2021) is ~$8000/pair.

Erin given your recent Emotiva review, might I suggest keeping the excellent measuring B1+ on hand for a little longer and directly comparing it to the Perlisten to comment on what the monstrous price delta actually buys? Would be very interesting to hear your thoughts on both a "raw" and EQ'ed comparison.

Last edited:

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
8k is insane for a bookshelf, regardless of how good you make the drivers its still not going to compare to even cheaper large floorstanders in several areas.
If we're going down this rabbit hole, the argument regarding the point of diminishing returns apply. So do we stop investigating expensive "state of the art" speakers simply because they cost far above the point of diminishing returns? What about the Perlisten floorstanders that cost $18,000 a pair - is this too "insane"? Certainly for a middle class hard working family, but for the single bachelor cosmetic surgeon in Newport Beach, it's likely too cheap if he wants to impress his friends who own Wilsons.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Yes, the 80Hz bass extension is quite puzzling to me too. I'll give them 100Hz for the smaller S4B bookshelves and very curious how @hardisj measurements will show, but for the floorstanders even at +/- 1.5dB isn't 80Hz a bit pedestrian?

Everett T

Forum Donor
Yes, the 80Hz bass extension is quite puzzling to me too. I'll give them 100Hz for the smaller S4B bookshelves and very curious how @hardisj measurements will show, but for the floorstanders even at +/- 1.5dB isn't 80Hz a bit pedestrian?
With an in room prediction of an F10 at 30hz and a shallow slope, it's should do well. The distortion numbers to hit THX Ultra should be good.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With an in room prediction of an F10 at 30hz and a shallow slope, it's should do well. The distortion numbers to hit THX Ultra should be good.
Thanks for the clarification. I should also have added that those buying the Perlisten for "high end home theater" will always have it matched to a subwoofer which would cut off at 80Hz anyway!

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

It turns out it's the best bookshelf speaker in the world objectively. and would give 99% of floorstanders a run for their money. Thanks @hardisj for another amazing review: https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/perlisten_s4b/

CEA2034%20--%20Perlisten%20S4b.png

Perlisten%20S4b%20Harmonic%20distortion%20%2886dB%20%40%201m%29.png

Perlisten%20S4b%20Harmonic%20distortion%20%2896dB%20%40%201m%29.png

Perlisten%20S4b_Compression.png

amper42

Major Contributor
It turns out it's the best bookshelf speaker in the world objectively. and would give 99% of floorstanders a run for their money. Thanks @hardisj for another amazing review: https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/perlisten_s4b/

CEA2034%20--%20Perlisten%20S4b.png

Perlisten%20S4b%20Harmonic%20distortion%20%2886dB%20%40%201m%29.png

Perlisten%20S4b%20Harmonic%20distortion%20%2896dB%20%40%201m%29.png

Perlisten%20S4b_Compression.png

Not sure it's the best bookshelf? No bass, great midrange and distortion below 80Hz at high levels. I'm pretty sure if I heard S4B and BMR monitor next to each other with no sub which one I would choose. And if you told the listener they get to keep $6K if they choose one of these it would be a funny blind test. :D

HooStat

I think Dutch & Dutch, Kii, Genelec and some others are all there. Plus they have amplifiers built in. At this level it is hard to say any one of them is "best" because it depends more on what trade-offs you care about to make that determination. But they are certainly quite excellent even if they are not unequivocally "best".

Last edited:

yourmando

From what has been measured, i think it is Objectively the best in my opinion.

F10 at 40Hz is hardly no bass. ;) It's a sealed design with a slow roll-off.
If someone wants SOTA performance in a bookshelf sized format, this is the right tradeoff IMO.

If you want the best possible bass, you’re going to want multiple subwoofers, optimally placed and room optimized anyway. Considering the target market of high end home theater users, this seems intentional.

This level of performance is incredible, and can hold up to similarly priced high end designs.

It’s amazing they’re able to do this with a passive design!

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think Dutch & Dutch, Kii, Genelec and some others are all there. Plus they have amplifiers built in. At this level it is hard to say any one of them is "best" because it depends more on what trade-offs you care about to make that determination. But they are certainly quite excellent even if they are not unequivocally "best".
The 8341A is a contendor for linearity, but falls short in comparision in terms of output imo.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If someone wants SOTA performance in a bookshelf sized format, this is the right tradeoff IMO.

If you want the best possible bass, you’re going to want multiple subwoofers, optimally placed and room optimized anyway. Considering the target market of high end home theater users, this seems intentional.

This level of performance is incredible, and can hold up to similarly priced high end designs.

It’s amazing they’re able to do this with a passive design!

you know what really pushed it over the top for me? The F3 is almost at 80Hz. that means integration with subwoofers would be a breeze even without a high-pass filter.

This is the first speaker in my life that i have seen that is optimally designed for an 80Hz crossover with a subwoofer.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
you know what really pushed it over the top for me? The F3 is almost at 80Hz. that means integration with subwoofers would be a breeze even without a high-pass filter.

This is the first speaker in my life that i have seen that is optimally designed for an 80Hz crossover with a subwoofer.
I don't mean to criticize the speaker by asking this (or you either). But what is different about the 12dB rolloff compared to other sealed speakers (or port plugged)? Why is it important to you to cross at 80Hz compared to another frequency? Maybe 80Hz is optimum in some way I'm not aware of? I thought 80Hz was typical but I have not been aware that it is optimum in some way.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't mean to criticize the speaker by asking this (or you either). But what is different about the 12dB rolloff compared to other sealed speakers (or port plugged)? Why is it important to you to cross at 80Hz compared to another frequency? Maybe 80Hz is optimum in some way I'm not aware of? I thought 80Hz was typical but I have not been aware that it is optimum in some way.
Its a good optimum and standardised by THX.

Top Bottom