• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Perlisten speakers

Matthew J Poes

Technical Expert
Reviewer
I don't understand the distinction you are trying to make here.

Here's an article quoting David Smith regarding his expanding arrays:
https://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/334/index.html

Whether you aim for a 30 degree beamwidth, or a 60 degree beamwidth, it's still beamforming.
Beam and beam forming are not the same thing. An expanding array operated totally differently from beam forming. This is actual beam forming. The key advantage besides directivity control is that the large overlapping bandwidth of the drivers gives significant additional headroom and lower distortion. An expanding array does not. My point is that this is not an expanding array like a Snell and affords itself advantages an expanding array doesn’t have.

BenB

Beam and beam forming are not the same thing. An expanding array operated totally differently from beam forming. This is actual beam forming. The key advantage besides directivity control is that the large overlapping bandwidth of the drivers gives significant additional headroom and lower distortion. An expanding array does not. My point is that this is not an expanding array like a Snell and affords itself advantages an expanding array doesn’t have.

What defining characteristic of "actual beam forming" applies to the Perlisten speakers, but not the expanding arrays? Feel free to get as technical as you'd like.

Matthew J Poes

Technical Expert
Reviewer
What defining characteristic of "actual beam forming" applies to the Perlisten speakers, but not the expanding arrays? Feel free to get as technical as you'd like.

let me get permission from Perlisten before I share more. I don’t know for sure how much.

but I’ve already shared the main issue. That beam forming requires that all the speakers overlap substantially in output over a wide bandwidth to control directivity. Expanding arrays have hard crossovers between the drivers. The central tweeter in the 3 driver array has the exact same highpass as the two “midrange” drivers above and below it. They operate over much of their bandwidth together.

as soon as Dan gives me permission to share more details I am happy to do so.

BenB

let me get permission from Perlisten before I share more. I don’t know for sure how much.

but I’ve already shared the main issue. That beam forming requires that all the speakers overlap substantially in output over a wide bandwidth to control directivity. Expanding arrays have hard crossovers between the drivers. The central tweeter in the 3 driver array has the exact same highpass as the two “midrange” drivers above and below it. They operate over much of their bandwidth together.

The bolded part simply isn't true. Frequency-dependent pruning and thinning of arrays is standard beamforming practice.

Descartes

Major Contributor

I like the fact that their tweeter is at ear level compared to the F328Be

Real photos.

Attachments

• t0107328e585d090cbd.jpg
    t0107328e585d090cbd.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 403
  • t013002abeb40b1039f.jpg
    t013002abeb40b1039f.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 388
  • t01355cfdb0f38a2ed1.jpg
    t01355cfdb0f38a2ed1.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 479
  • t01807e99d322cda6e6.jpg
    t01807e99d322cda6e6.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 376
  • t0183c8756ae109a4b0.jpg
    t0183c8756ae109a4b0.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 368
  • t0185d51dad4f0aa33b.jpg
    t0185d51dad4f0aa33b.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 351
  • t01c7bc6d0d75f1f92a.jpg
    t01c7bc6d0d75f1f92a.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 347
  • t01e7cb8e7993beea9c.jpg
    t01e7cb8e7993beea9c.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 449
OP
P

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Wow, those look really great. Same price as the Revel F328Be, and arguably as good.

Look at Revel F3228Be v.s. Perlisten s7t:
visualization (1).png

up to 3k they are very similar. If the room is live, I am guessing they will sound different.
The spin gives a score of 6.3 which is quit low and does not take into account the SPL capacity. I looked into the component of the scores and LFQ is the one which is significantly lower that for the Revel. Since the quality of the measurements in the bass is low, I will wait for a klippel measurement.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They are not. This is a misunderstanding and misrepresentation. The speakers are designed to be equally good with stereo or multichannel. They aren’t that bass sacrificed. Not sure why you think that. They have significant output down to 22hz. In their ported mode the bass rolls off like a sealed box but with more output and excursion control down to 22hz or so. Allowing for in room extension down below 20hz. Remember that those 4 drivers are about equal to a typical 14” driver and they have a ton of excursion. I think you are making assumptions about the sacrifices in this design that simply aren’t true.

I thought that based on the the marketing language prior to release(THX Dominus etc). I’ve had my eye on these, and I was thinking they were targeting the HT space, but with more audiophile sound. After reading your review, though, it’s clear I was wrong. Even more interested now :).

Last edited:

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They aren’t that bass sacrificed. Not sure why you think that. They have significant output down to 22hz. In their ported mode the bass rolls off like a sealed box but with more output and excursion control down to 22hz or so. Allowing for in room extension down below 20hz.
The frequency response drop towards low frequencies really corresponds to that of a closed speaker.
Here is a comparison of a HP with second order Butterworth @50Hz.
The match is not quite perfect, since the speaker cabinet provides too little volume for the four woofers, which is often deliberately chosen to make the low bass appear "more powerful" (SPL hump around 100Hz).
1621788153594.png
So the loudspeaker corresponds very roughly to a closed loudspeaker with an f3 of 50Hz. Where under 35Hz probably a little more sound pressure level is available because of the low BR tuning around 30Hz (if the ground plane measurement conditions were optimal and wind did not affect the measurements).

Looking closer at the ground plane measurement, an f10 at 25Hz is not exactly what I would call "significant output down to 22hz".
If the speaker is placed freely, the bass should sound rather "soft/slim/thin" - which does not have to be bad.
1621789514100.png

Source: Audioholics

Remember that those 4 drivers are about equal to a typical 14” driver and they have a ton of excursion.
If we assume that the woofers are SBAcoustics MW19TX-8, then each woofer has a displacement volume of about 103cm³.

With four woofers (Vd 400cm³), this is significantly less than a "reasonable" 10'' subwoofer can provide in displacement volume - Vd around 480-600cm³.
For such a slim and small speaker this is certainly okay, but for speakers with a pair price of $16000 the low bass performance is not special.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
If we assume that the woofers are SBAcoustics MW19TX-8

FWIW, according to Perlisten, they are not SB speakers. See my post here for context.

PerListen rep said:
We also use Klippel and is a great tool for getting every ounce of performance out of our speakers. We design our speakers 100% and are not using SB Acoustics. This is an easy assumption to make with the cool Textreme Carbon Fiber cones.

warthor

One thing I am confused about is how all their speakers and subwoofers appear to have the THX Dominus certification, including the R5t, S5m, and S4s. I am truly curious about this. Does this mean they can create more clean/loud output than all other speakers before them in equivalent categories (because no other speakers earned this certification)? I say equivalent categories because the surrounds got a THX dominus surround certification. If so, that is quite remarkable.

In the review of the S7T the reviewer mentioned the S7T was the only speaker with this THX certification, only adding to my confusion.

Links for proof (scroll to the bottom for dominus certificate):
S5m Monitor — Perlisten Audio
R5t Tower — Perlisten Audio
S4s — Perlisten Audio

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One thing I am confused about is how all their speakers and subwoofers appear to have the THX Dominus certification, including the R5t, S5m, and S4s. I am truly curious about this. Does this mean they can create more clean/loud output than all other speakers before them in equivalent categories (because no other speakers earned this certification)? I say equivalent categories because the surrounds got a THX dominus surround certification. If so, that is quite remarkable.

In the review of the S7T the reviewer mentioned the S7T was the only speaker with this THX certification, only adding to my confusion.

S4s — Perlisten Audio
Yeah, that seems odd. Unless the certification has different requirements for different speaker types. What I saw is 91dB and some distortion requirement, which those speakers don’t do.

warthor

Yeah, that seems odd. Unless the certification has different requirements for different speaker types. What I saw is 91dB and some distortion requirement, which those speakers don’t do.

Something is not adding up.

To me this would be like breaking the world record in many different races (100m, 5 mile). Though the requirements are different it still is the first to break certain thresholds. Breaking the record in one category (i.e., s7t) is remarkable, but in all categories is ______________ (fill in the blank: cataclysmic, paradigm shifting).

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Something is not adding up.

To me this would be like breaking the world record in many different races (100m, 5 mile). Though the requirements are different it still is the first to break certain thresholds. Breaking the record in one category (i.e., s7t) is remarkable, but in all categories is ______________ (fill in the blank: cataclysmic, paradigm shifting).
It’s not breaking records, it’s the first to apply for the record.

Many home theater horn speakers are 91dB and low distortion, they just haven‘t paid THX to certify it.

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
FWIW, according to Perlisten, they are not SB speakers. See my post here for context.
Thanks for the link. This should not change much in the result of the calculation as the drivers used by PerListen should have a similar cone area. Perhaps we will hear more about this from Matthew in the future.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

S4s — Perlisten Audio

I'd guess there are many other HT speakers out there with even more dynamic headroom, but they just haven't applied for THX Dominus certification(which cost money). Some of the JBL LRX83X speakers(for example) should be able to play louder than these with subwoofer support(136dB according to spec).

warthor

It’s not breaking records, it’s the first to apply for the record.

Many home theater horn speakers are 91dB and low distortion, they just haven‘t paid THX to certify it.
That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the clarification.

Top Bottom