• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Perlisten speakers

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello,

i randomly found Perlisten (never heard about them before).

They do publish measurements with their speakers.

View attachment 108144

They do provide a spinorama (smoothed) which shows a very good directivity.

View attachment 108145

This large speaker is bass shy which I guess is on purpose since they also sell subwoofers.
Just thinking how great the FR could be if this would be active with bass EQ ...

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The subs look like one section of the Kii BXTs

I reckon they look more like a gaming computer. Just needs some RGB LEDs around the woofer rim. :)

1615419605962.png

Are there any authentic photographs of their products or is it just digital vaporware? There's an awful lot of BS on their website and I'm skeptical they have even produced a thing.

This photo is clearly a fake, I mean look at it.:facepalm:

1615420219969.png

Last edited:

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

cursive

Forum Donor
I reckon they look more like a gaming computer. Just needs some RGB LEDs around the woofer rim. :)

View attachment 117480

Are there any authentic photographs of their products or is it just digital vaporware? There's an awful lot of BS on their website and I'm skeptical they have even produced a thing.

This photo is clearly a fake, I mean look at it.:facepalm:

View attachment 117481

Their about section is weirdly vague as well. "PerListen is the story of a few discerning audiophiles with the same passion, who started a company with some of the best talent in the industry and tons of industry awards to prove it. Chances are you have heard some of our award winning products and loved them. " Um... best talent like who? What awards? We've heard your products? What are your award winning products?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
It takes about 5 seconds to find they've stolen this image:

https://www.germanica.com.au/cooling
germanica.JPG

And pasted a really poor rendering of a non existant subwoofer and phone app.
perlisten.JPG

And Audioholics just reprint the press release/copy they're given. :facepalm:

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Likely just using stock photos from providers.

And that is acceptable? Stock/stolen photos, rendered images and not a single actual picture of a real product? Even a prototype?

I'm calling fake news.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
And that is acceptable? Stock photos, rendered images and not a single actual picture of a real product? Even a prototype? I'm calling fake news.
Doesn't raise either eyebrow for me. Poor marketing is commonplace. The only real test is if these speakers find buyers and competent reviewers get their hands on them. Audioholics has taken an interest, so maybe something good will come out of that.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Audioholics has taken an interest, so maybe something good will come out of that.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, these speakers were discussed this on the Daily HiFi podcast and I sent the company an email yesterday. No reply.

This revelation they are using stock photos seems strange. But, I don't know if that's the norm these days.

cursive

Forum Donor
It takes about 5 seconds to find they've stolen this image:

https://www.germanica.com.au/cooling
View attachment 117485

And pasted a really poor rendering of a non existant subwoofer and phone app.
View attachment 117484

And Audioholics just reprint the press release/copy they're given. :facepalm:

Lol sleep as your -6.0db subwoofer is blasting away. I think using renders and stock photos is the norm nowadays unfortunately, but it should be paired with actual photos of a real product. This makes me feel like they haven't actually built or sold anything yet.

It does look like they talk about the thx dominus certification on the thx blog though, https://www.thx.com/blog/perlisten-thx-dominus-global-release/ but looks like another render.

Hopefully it's just early in the design stages and real product photos will follow, a bit like a kickstarter project atm.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice stolen/stock photo.
View attachment 117489

Nothing evokes emotion like a blurry ghostly dancing girl and fake speakers.
View attachment 117490

It's likely that the other site didn't make those images either, and yet neither stole them. Likely just using stock photos and photoshopping them, which is a very common marketing practice. I would bet most big companies do it in some form. Easier, cheaper and usually better(better photo) to buy stock assets. Unless you have a really talented photography team on staff ;). There are companies who specialize in making these assets, and they're pretty good at making them look pretty.

That said, some of the subjective stuff does raise the brow a bit. But, if those spinorama measurements are legit, then there can be no doubt that these are excellent speakers. Some of the best I've ever seen from a passive design.

amper42

Major Contributor
I don't know how you write an article introducing a new speaker that you have not tested, simply based on images and data sent by the manufacturer? That takes a lot of faith. :p

Hopefully, a future review will verify the value of the Perlisten?

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
re: "Perlisten," I thought it was a new - and very expensive! - kind of subscription plan.

Are there any authentic photographs of their products or is it just digital vaporware?
You made it farther than I did, John. Once I saw that every photo of the S7 tower "showed" a black speaker on a black background, I gave up.

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Audioholics has them in for review and will be doing measurements, I doubt they will do a Spinorama though (they generally don’t for tower speakers, as it’s hard to measure the vertical performance).
Depends on who is doing the measurements. James has put some large speakers through the process. Distortion should be very good per their spec.

MrPeabody

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I could see port noise being reduced, but I don't think it is correct to say a speaker with traditional port resonators is aperiodic just because it passes through some foam. Aperiodic speakers as traditionally described don't have ports.
An aperiodic speaker is a sealed box with controlled leaks, which allows a sealed enclosure of smaller size than would otherwise be required. Normally, reducing the size of a sealed enclosure would create a peak in the FR and also in the impedance. The aperiodic vent reduces these peaks, at the expense of a steeper bass roll off than a sealed enclosure (normally 18db / octave). You don't see actual aperiodic loading in speakers very much.

I think that what 617 wrote is a good quick summary of the aperiodic enclosure. All it really is, is a quasi-sealed enclosure that is too small to avoid excessively high Q, compensated by putting a big leak in the enclosure. The marketing spiel from Dynaudio is misleading, like marketing spiels very often are; the figure 2 impedance graph in particular. The large peak impedance is what the peak impedance would be using that driver in a sealed enclosure too small. If the enclosure is properly sized, i.e., as large as it should be, there will still be an impedance peak, but there isn't any reason why it would be any worse than the milder impedance peak seen in that same graph, for the aperiodic enclosure. The aperiodic enclosure is a workaround for using a driver with low damping / high Q, which normally requires a large enclosure, in a small enclosure. Since damping is mainly determined by the strength of the magnet (along with the length of wire in the gap), the obvious question is why not just use a driver with a stronger magnet. A stronger magnet would add some cost, but the main consideration is probably that the speaker will become less efficient. It thus amounts to a way to make a speaker of a given size more efficient than a speaker of that particular size would ordinarily be. The price paid is in bass response, which suffers dues to the big leak. Most importantly, Josef Anton Hoffman sleeps peacefully.

Reactions: 617
Top Bottom