• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Perlisten speakers

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hello,

i randomly found Perlisten (never heard about them before).

They do publish measurements with their speakers.

Screenshot 2021-01-24 at 17.34.08.png

They do provide a spinorama (smoothed) which shows a very good directivity.

Screenshot 2021-01-24 at 17.34.51.png

This large speaker is bass shy which I guess is on purpose since they also sell subwoofers.
Horizontal directivity looks good. Vertical a bit less but still ok. I am not sure the 3 tweeters are improving the vertical much.

Screenshot 2021-01-24 at 17.36.13.png

Graphs extracted from here. The 15 inch sub has the following response:

Screenshot 2021-01-24 at 17.38.19.png

I expect them to work well together. They also sell a center, a smaller tower and others subs. I have no idea of the prospective prices.

Last edited:

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting hybrid of Snell XA/McIntosh and Tekton. The answer is probably “parts availability” (I don’t think there a lot of great 3/4 or smaller domes) but I wonder why the waveguided dome isn’t smaller (wider HF directivity) and the outer domes a little larger.

LearningToSmile

Interesting hybrid of Snell XA/McIntosh and Tekton. The answer is probably “parts availability” (I don’t think there a lot of great 3/4 or smaller domes) but I wonder why the waveguided dome isn’t smaller (wider HF directivity) and the outer domes a little larger.
What I found interesting about this solution is that in their r5t it's 3 silk tweeters, and in the s7t it's a beryllium tweeter and two carbon fiber midranges - is that 3 driver DPC array really such a universal solution that it works just as well in both of these configurations?

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting HF unit, would like to see real measurements.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just saw Audioholics post about these, the first speaker with THX Dominus certification, which all I could find is that it’s 92dB sensitive or higher.
EDIT: With THD below .5% at 90dB listening levels and rigorous distortion limits at an extreme 120 dB

Measurements look great. Not sure about the main tweeter, but the other 2 and the woofers are Satori.

Looks like the bass loading is aperiodic, same as my Wharfedale Jade towers.

Last edited:

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Horizontal directivity looks good. Vertical a bit less but still ok. I am not sure the 3 tweeters are improving the vertical much.
Do note it only goes down to 1kHz and the color grading seems to be 10dB increments.

The Spin also looks odd in the bass, usually around 100Hz all the curves are about the same SPL due to being omnidirectional.

Goodfellas27

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Surely it's just a bass reflex with two huge ports?

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
These came up a couple nights ago on the Daily HiFi discussion (linked below). I was really impressed by these. I actually sent Perlisten an email yesterday to see if they would be willing to send a review sample. No reply. Probably won't get one. But we will see.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Surely it's just a bass reflex with two huge ports?
It's aperiodic, like my Wharfedale towers:
wharfedale-jade-5-schnitt.gif

The ports leads to slots covered with foam (mine are in the base of the speaker).

Not too sure of the benefit. One I saw is that the loading is similar to sealed above the tuning frequency (I guess the foam is restrictive enough when air flow is little) and similar to ported below the tuning frequency. Also, I assume port noise and midrange leakage is cut down as the ports lead to a "chamber" which then leads to the openings, it's not a straight shot.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's aperiodic, like my Wharfedale towers:
wharfedale-jade-5-schnitt.gif

The ports leads to slots covered with foam (mine are in the base of the speaker).

Not too sure of the benefit. One I saw is that the loading is similar to sealed above the tuning frequency (I guess the foam is restrictive enough when air flow is little) and similar to ported below the tuning frequency. Also, I assume port noise and midrange leakage is cut down as the ports lead to a "chamber" which then leads to the openings, it's not a straight shot.

I could see port noise being reduced, but I don't think it is correct to say a speaker with traditional port resonators is aperiodic just because it passes through some foam. Aperiodic speakers as traditionally described don't have ports.

If port noise is reduced by means of some foam, that's an impressive piece of engineering, avoiding the expense of a passive radiator.

An aperiodic speaker is a sealed box with controlled leaks, which allows a sealed enclosure of smaller size than would otherwise be required. Normally, reducing the size of a sealed enclosure would create a peak in the FR and also in the impedance. The aperiodic vent reduces these peaks, at the expense of a steeper bass roll off than a sealed enclosure (normally 18db / octave). You don't see actual aperiodic loading in speakers very much.

Top Bottom