• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Perlisten S7t Speaker Review and Measurements (Audioholics)

Senior NEET Engineer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Perlisten S7t was reviewed and measured by James Larson for Audioholics.

Full Article: https://www.audioholics.com/tower-speaker-reviews/perlisten-s7t

Last edited:

noobie1

With grills on, these look like big ugly lego blocks. There may perform spectacularly but at 16k per pair, it’s hard to do see how they would merit 5 rating in terms of value.

2go

Wow. Freq response looks fantastic. Out of curiosity: is there anything on-par with that for $1-2k ?

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow. Freq response looks fantastic. Out of curiosity: is there anything on-par with that for $1-2k ?
Ugly, but I would like to see the $1000 Emotiva T2+ measured (91dB).

Amir measured the B1+ and it did well.

Other than that, maybe the HTD Level Three towers (89dB) and Chane L7 towers (91dB). Measurements are unknown but for HTD & Chane’s lower tier they get good reviews.

Polk R700 will measure nice but is 88dB, which is below average for a tower.

Reactions: 2go

2go

Other than that, maybe the HTD Level Three towers (89dB) and Chane L7 towers (91dB). Measurements are unknown but for HTD & Chane’s lower tier they get good reviews.

To be honest I've got terrible experience from B1+. I was recommended to go with them or Chane's one and did choose Emotiva. I end up with quite a bad product with a lot of resonances here and there. Then I decided to get bunch of Pioneers, did initial mod of BS22s and compared BS22, B1+ and Modded BS22 at the same time. Comparing original Pioneers with B1+ was easy. They definitely worse in clarity and details (ignoring resonances here). Comparing Dennis mod for BS22 and B1+ was easy as well. Modded BS22s had no "coloring", good stage, pretty clear but not highlighted details. When I've tried to communicate to Emotiva that they either have issues with all the speakers (my concerns was about resonances around 80Hz with grill on and around ~900-1000Hz with the main freq around 480Hz) or I just got a bad ones. They promised to update me in regards of the harmonics of ~480Hz but I've got no response, they just refunded and that's it. So at that moment I've got the idea that they agreed. Now seeing all the measurements from Amir I do see the proof of the problem and, damn, this port resonance was quite audible ;(

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To be honest I've got terrible experience from B1+. I was recommended to go with them or Chane's one and did choose Emotiva. I end up with quite a bad product with a lot of resonances here and there. Then I decided to get bunch of Pioneers, did initial mod of BS22s and compared BS22, B1+ and Modded BS22 at the same time. Comparing original Pioneers with B1+ was easy. They definitely worse in clarity and details (ignoring resonances here). Comparing Dennis mod for BS22 and B1+ was easy as well. Modded BS22s had no "coloring", good stage, pretty clear but not highlighted details. When I've tried to communicate to Emotiva that they either have issues with all the speakers (my concerns was about resonances around 80Hz with grill on and around ~900-1000Hz with the main freq around 480Hz) or I just got a bad ones. They promised to update me in regards of the harmonics of ~480Hz but I've got no response, they just refunded and that's it. So at that moment I've got the idea that they agreed. Now seeing all the measurements from Amir I do see the proof of the problem and, damn, this port resonance was quite audible ;(
Are you sure not the original B1? I don't think Dennis did a mod of the B1+.
The mod for the Pioneer had good measurements though.

2go

Are you sure not the original B1? I don't think Dennis did a mod of the B1+.
The mod for the Pioneer had good measurements though.
No, I've comparing original B1+, original BS22 and modded BS22. I would put them in line like BS22 < B1+ <<< Modded BS22 :)

warpdrive

With grills on, these look like big ugly lego blocks. There may perform spectacularly but at 16k per pair, it’s hard to do see how they would merit 5 rating in terms of value.

He specifically says this "There are a lot of great speakers in that price range, but Perlisten pushes the design envelope so far that I have to say that the S7ts would be my first choice were I shopping for tower speakers at that price point. They are expensive speakers, but they are also a good value at the same time. "

Basically, it beats everything in its price range, so therefore good value, that's how I interpreted it.

Matthew J Poes

Technical Expert
Reviewer

Sensitivity and power handling alone won’t tell you a lot about maximum output. It should, but it doesn’t. I will be shocked if any of those come even close in terms of maximum output with low distortion. My guess is all of those will be compressing anywhere from 10-15dB sooner. I would also be shocked if anyone had spins nearly as good. There simply isn’t a lot of speakers for any amount of money that measure that well.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
for everyone else that didn't bother to read the full review, this is the distortion at 95 dB, which is basically below 1% for all frequencies above 100Hz.

Distortion is also significantly (5-10 dB) lower than the Revel F328Be, which is similarly priced.

Also, keep in mind that James' distortion measurements are done "free air" at 2 meters making his 95dB @ 2m = 101dB @ 1m (which is the metric Amir uses). I specifically asked James this and he verified about the measurement conditions.

Though, James states to ignore <150Hz due to room effects.

So, the comparison isn't quite apples-to-apples.

Last edited:

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Keep in mind that James' distortion measurements are done "free air" at 2 meters making his 95dB @ 2m = 89dB @ 1m (which is the metric Amir uses). I specifically asked James this and he verified about the measurement conditions.

Also, James states to ignore <150Hz due to room effects.

So, the comparison isn't quite apples-to-apples.

thank you for clearing this up! it was already clear that both speakers are very well designed.

I didn't mean to pit the speakers up against each other just wanted to compare it to a similarly priced well performing speaker.

The 'expensive = not worth it' gang has a strong presence in this thread

Top Bottom