• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Perlisten S7t Speaker Review and Measurements (Audioholics)

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With my RME ADI-2 DAC FS I leave the EQ flat and it sounds fine. I don't notice any issues with the F328Be with horns, saxophone and piano. It sounds fantastic in my room.
That's why I started the sentence with " personally". The extent to which the exaggerations in the sound power, in the 2-4kHz range, come into play depends on the room and personal taste.

One speaker that @amirm regularly uses as a comparison/reference is the Revel M16, which he describes as warm and pleasant sounding.
SP, LW and SPDI of the Revel M16 looks like this:
1627318090666.png

The differences in radiation and crossover tuning are clearly visible.
Such a speaker would very likely be more to my taste (with regard to tuning)

nerdoldnerdith

One speaker in this price class that may be able to compete with the SPL of the Perlisten and F328Be is the Funk Audio 8.6P. Their speakers aren't as popular as their subwoofers, but just going by the specs they publish they are real SPL monsters. Their subwoofers have been measured and are some of the lowest distortion and lowest compression drivers money can buy. The drivers going into their speakers are likely built to the same standard. I've never seen measurements of them though. The width of the tweeter is a concern.

I just heard the S7Ts paired up with the D125S subs at the Capital Audiofest last weekend. They are ****ing phenomenal! Better than Revels in my personal opinion, and one of if not the fastest dynamic speaker I've heard. Can actually keep up with actually good planars like Wisdom. Also have a look at this. A review with measurements and by someone at Stereophile who actually knows what the heck he is talking about, just look at his reference system in the article for starters. He owns Salon 2s and said while those have a slightly better soundstage and midrange character that overall these are the best speakers he's ever tested in his room. I figure if you had decent dsp and room correction to the PerListens, especially something like a Trinnov they'll be as close to perfect as possible.

nerdoldnerdith

I just heard the S7Ts paired up with the D125S subs at the Capital Audiofest last weekend. They are ****ing phenomenal! Better than Revels in my personal opinion, and one of if not the fastest dynamic speaker I've heard. Can actually keep up with actually good planars like Wisdom. Also have a look at this. A review with measurements and by someone at Stereophile who actually knows what the heck he is talking about, just look at his reference system in the article for starters. He owns Salon 2s and said while those have a slightly better soundstage and midrange character that overall these are the best speakers he's ever tested in his room. I figure if you had decent dsp and room correction to the PerListens, especially something like a Trinnov they'll be as close to perfect as possible.

If I had a nickel for every time I've heard that maybe I could afford a pair...

There undoubtedly seems to be an audible effect of controlling vertical directivity that people enjoy. You get a similar thing with line sources and large ribbons. My experience with ribbons is that they have more detail and resolution in the treble, but there is something wrong with how they image. It's a subtle thing, but to my ears domes sound more accurate in the vertical domain. Now, the Perlisten isn't a ribbon or a line source, so I can't say much about them, but I just have a feeling based on experience that there will be something off about how they image with the mismatch between horizontal and vertical directivity.

If I had a nickel for every time I've heard that maybe I could afford a pair...

There undoubtedly seems to be an audible effect of controlling vertical directivity that people enjoy. You get a similar thing with line sources and large ribbons. My experience with ribbons is that they have more detail and resolution in the treble, but there is something wrong with how they image. It's a subtle thing, but to my ears domes sound more accurate in the vertical domain. Now, the Perlisten isn't a ribbon or a line source, so I can't say much about them, but I just have a feeling based on experience that there will be something off about how they image with the mismatch between horizontal and vertical directivity.
Imaging was top notch in my book. I work in the industry and have heard almost of all of it by this point. B&W, Sonus Faber, Totem, Revel, Monitor, Paradigm, you name it, all flagship grade stuff too. For imaging Totem's Element series speakers such as the "Metal" generally takes the cake unless we are taking about properly (and I mean properly with correct active crossovers and DSP) configured line source Wisdom which has been my personal all around favorite until now. But now I just might buy the PerListens in a couple months. Thinking about selling my Wisdom system, and granted its their on wall and more entry level Insight series, but I still can't believe I'm saying that especially having heard their serious stuff too.

nerdoldnerdith

Imaging was top notch in my book. I work in the industry and have heard almost of all of it by this point. B&W, Sonus Faber, Totem, Revel, Monitor, Paradigm, you name it, all flagship grade stuff too. For imaging Totem's Element series speakers such as the "Metal" generally takes the cake unless we are taking about properly (and I mean properly with correct active crossovers and DSP) configured line source Wisdom which has been my personal all around favorite until now. But now I just might buy the PerListens in a couple months. Thinking about selling my Wisdom system, and granted its their on wall and more entry level Insight series, but I still can't believe I'm saying that especially having heard their serious stuff too.
Perlisten is coming out with an in-wall series soon. Something to consider if you are going to go that route. I imagine they will be even better than the standalone models.

Perlisten is coming out with an in-wall series soon. Something to consider if you are going to go that route. I imagine they will be even better than the standalone models.
I have room for towers now, would prefer the floorstander anyway. However that is a very exciting product line. Again Wisdom and maybe Totem are the only "good" in wall or on wall that I carry. We need more.

nerdoldnerdith

I have room for towers now, would prefer the floorstander anyway. However that is a very exciting product line. Again Wisdom is one of the only "good" in walls. We need more.
The KEF Reference in-walls also look to be excellent. I'd love to see one measured.

D

Deleted member 4708

Not the S7T but one of the little brothers:

Some of the findings (quotes from the review):

The midrange clarity is unrivaled by any speaker I have heard to date.

The directivity index is really remarkable, showing a nice linear increase above the midrange with only a few very minor points where the linearity would shift ever-so-slightly. Comparing this to other speakers I have measured, I’d say this might be the best I have measured thus far. It performs better than the LS50 Wireless II (which features a single coincident driver). The only other speaker this compares to in regard to the early reflections directivity index is the Dutch & Dutch 8C. It is worth noting the DD8C is also one of the best speakers I have ever heard but is a fully active speaker where this Perlisten is passive.

Last edited by a moderator:

TabCam

I own Studio 2s, fwiw.
It is a pity that John Atkinson didn't comment on them as they are so close to the Magico s5 mkII. He probably needs to hear them in his own room first before he can compare the experience.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
It is a pity that John Atkinson didn't comment on them as they are so close to the Magico s5 mkII. He probably needs to hear them in his own room first before he can compare the experience.
?? Comment on the Perlistens? He rarely makes any subjective comments on devices that he measures when others do the review.

TabCam

?? Comment on the Perlistens? He rarely makes any subjective comments on devices that he measures when others do the review.
He just commented on the measurements and I understand that. As both the Perlisten and the Magico are such well engineered and exceptionally well measuring speakers that it is very interesting to read comments on them both by someone who has heard both.

John Atkinson

Industry Insider
Reviewer
Also have a look at this. A review with measurements and by someone at Stereophile who actually knows what the heck he is talking about, just look at his reference system in the article for starters. He owns [Studio] 2s and said while those have a slightly better soundstage and midrange character that overall these are the best speakers he's ever tested in his room . . .

Kal Rubinson's Stereophile review is available in the magazine's free online archive at https://www.stereophile.com/content/perlisten-s7t-loudspeaker

John Atkinson
Technical Editor, Stereophile

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With grills on, these look like big ugly lego blocks. There may perform spectacularly but at 16k per pair, it’s hard to do see how they would merit 5 rating in terms of value.
In any context, $16,000 is a ton of money for speakers, but when the competition is priced at the mid-to-high five figures and six figures, I guess these would be considered a bargain by the people who have the means and are willing to purchase them.

Top Bottom